• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Cancelled Megaman reboot

I'd actually buy that

I got a thing for gritty looking futures. Then again the timeline where Mega man X takes place was pretty dark and gritty.
I really wish I could play some of these canned games.

ZeroLove

NO NO NO!!! FFS!!!

WHY can't they just FINISH a Megaman game for once?!?!
*headdesks until forehead bleeds... then takes a nap*

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
To be fair, i don't think it would have gone over well with alot of people so canned or not people would have been ****ed off about this as a Megaman game.

What ****es ME off though is that it actually looks FUN, or at least it could have been potentially fun with some polish, variance and given some more depth. Instead of canning it, i would have said rebrand the entire game to be a non-megaman themed game and sell it for the Metroid Prime-esque experience it could have been.

I mean, lord knows the Metroid series isn't exactly in good shape either.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I got a thing for gritty looking futures. Then again the timeline where Mega man X takes place was pretty dark and gritty.
I really wish I could play some of these canned games.
What're you talking about ? megaman X games are one of the most colorful games i've played :(

On Topic Goddamit Capcom you Fu#k!ng TROLL ! but i think Megaman should never be FPS NEVAH !

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Its really a mixed bag....a MegaMan FPS is the last thing most fans would actually want especially a dark gritty reboot meant to be more mature and realistic and portray a deeper look at the characters in a different perspective...*cough*DmC*cough*...but it does look a bit fun...but would prefer it would be a TPS. MegaMan FPS....BAD IDEA....Actually a Vanquish styled MegaMan X game.....INSTANT BUY.

On the side note: I'm a 100% sure believe the DmC reboot is Keiji Inafune. Before and after leaving Capcom, that turd has been spewing some Western vs Japanese nonsense. Considering it was his idea to have Dead Rising 2 developed by a Western company and I read early articles about DmC where Keiji was involved in NTs decision and final design/direction and he said that the next DMC would be for the fans BS in the same year of him leaving Capcom before the game is announced the same year.

ZeroLove

a MegaMan FPS is the last thing most fans would actually want especially a dark gritty reboot meant to be more mature and realistic and portray a deeper look at the characters in a different perspective

Do you have a source on this statement? A proof that most fans wouldn't want this. And I am talking Megaman fans, not in general or anyone else.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Do you have a source on this statement? A proof that most fans wouldn't want this. And I am talking Megaman fans, not in general or anyone else.

A video from the Escapist Magazine...or their channel on Youtube. Some lady/journalist said the exact statement that came from the exact developers statement. Apparently they planned 3 games with the last game where you play as Zero out to kill X who has become corrupted and evil.

ZeroLove

A video from the Escapist Magazine...or their channel on Youtube. Some lady/journalist said the exact statement that came from the exact developers statement. Apparently they planned 3 games with the last game where you play as Zero out to kill X who has become corrupted and evil.

Yes, I've read that. But that doesn't prove what fans what. That is just another statement from another person, a journalist. If you can provide info on how the Megaman fanbase reacted, then that would be a good source of proof.

Like this one:
http://www.themmnetwork.com/2013/04...he-mega-man-x-fps-that-almost-was/#more-21360

Comments shown below the article. And from what I can see there, it shows some mixed feelings and opinions, but there are indeed some more positive comments amongst them from people who seem to have wanted something like this. Like these comments:

Cipher johnson says:
April 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Dammit! I would’ve gotten that just for the cutscene attacks alone!

Nick Quiles says:
April 9, 2013 at 3:52 PM
The way I see it, Mega Man DOES have potential to be darker and more mature. I would like to see a darker and more realistic version of Mega Man X; it can work, and for many reasons
1. The X series does have a much more serious tone than the original games
2. The gameplay style has massive potential and it can make for some interesting, fun, and awesome mechanics.
3. Capcom needs SOME way to bring Mega Man back fresh and new, and taking a route like this, while a big risk, could bring Mega Man back
To be fair, this is beta footage for a game that was canned within a matter of months, but it still looks like it had potential to be a great, dark, and more adult Mega Man game.

HeatPhoenix says:
April 9, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Jesus.
Sweet.

Looks like if platinum games made a FPS. If the character design was a bit more Mega Man-esque it could’ve rocked, seriously.

So when you say "the fans don't want this" you are generalizing, trying to speak on behalf of a whole fanbase... and you would also be wrong about it. Sure, some fans don't want this, but there are also fans who do think it has potential.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Yes, I've read that. But that doesn't prove what fans what. That is just another statement from another person, a journalist. If you can provide info on how the Megaman fanbase reacted, then that would be a good source of proof.

Like this one:
http://www.themmnetwork.com/2013/04...he-mega-man-x-fps-that-almost-was/#more-21360

Comments shown below the article. And from what I can see there, it shows some mixed feelings and opinions, but there are indeed some more positive comments amongst them from people who seem to have wanted something like this. Like these comments:

Cipher johnson says:
April 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Dammit! I would’ve gotten that just for the cutscene attacks alone!

Nick Quiles says:
April 9, 2013 at 3:52 PM
The way I see it, Mega Man DOES have potential to be darker and more mature. I would like to see a darker and more realistic version of Mega Man X; it can work, and for many reasons
1. The X series does have a much more serious tone than the original games
2. The gameplay style has massive potential and it can make for some interesting, fun, and awesome mechanics.
3. Capcom needs SOME way to bring Mega Man back fresh and new, and taking a route like this, while a big risk, could bring Mega Man back
To be fair, this is beta footage for a game that was canned within a matter of months, but it still looks like it had potential to be a great, dark, and more adult Mega Man game.

HeatPhoenix says:
April 9, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Jesus.
Sweet.
Looks like if platinum games made a FPS. If the character design was a bit more Mega Man-esque it could’ve rocked, seriously.

So when you say "the fans don't want this" you are generalizing, trying to speak on behalf of a whole fanbase... and you would also be wrong about it. Sure, some fans don't want this, but there are also fans who do think it has potential.

Now your altering my own words to make me look bad...I said "most" fans not all of them.

The same way how "most" DMC fans didn't want DmC (though this game might have sold better). I was never speaking on their behalf. I was basing it on what I heard from comments section and other people. I wouldn't mind a FPS MM game we got a TPS Sandbox one didn't we and everyone (well not maybe everyone) loves that.

ZeroLove

Now your altering my own words to make me look bad...I said "most" fans not all of them.

The same way how "most" DMC fans didn't want DmC (though this game might have sold better). I was never speaking on their behalf. I was basing it on what I heard from comments section and other people. I wouldn't mind a FPS MM game we got a TPS Sandbox one didn't we and everyone (well not maybe everyone) loves that.

But again, where do you get that "most" from? How do you know the majority of the Megaman fanbase don't want something like this? Can you provide the proof to back up this statement of yours?

ZeroLove

Can you prove a lot of them do want this?

I never made such a statement. However, you did. And if you can't back it up, then it is just a statement... Nothing more, nothing less. At least I gave you proof that there are indeed fans out there who would like this kind of Megaman. Being a Megaman fan myself, I too think it looks cool. Especially the last part about playing as Zero who is my favourite MM character. I actually based my username on this site on him.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I never made such a statement. However, you did. And if you can't back it up, then it is just a statement... Nothing more, nothing less. At least I gave you proof that there are indeed fans out there who would like this kind of Megaman. Being a Megaman fan myself, I too think it looks cool. Especially the last part about playing as Zero who is my favourite MM character. I actually based my username on this site on him.

Hey I can post links to a ton of people not liking the idea but I don't want to start taking people's post and names and start using them to prove a point.

I myself is a BIG MegaMan fan is neutral about it. Don' care it got canned but wouldn't mind playing it either. FPS are overrated, a fast paced TPS like Vanquish would be more fitting for a MegaMan X game. From what I see it looks like Halo.

Plus I never liked the Metroid Prime series....I don't get their hype. I don't know maybe I'm Japanese :troll:

ZeroLove

Hey I can post links to a ton of people not liking the idea but I don't want to start taking people's post and names and start using them to prove a point.

I myself is a BIG MegaMan fan is neutral about it. Don' care it got canned but wouldn't mind playing it either. FPS are overrated, a fast paced TPS like Vanquish would be more fitting for a MegaMan X game. From what I see it looks like Halo.

Plus I never liked the Metroid Prime series....I don't get their hype. I don't know maybe I'm Japanese :troll:

I just really dislike when people make statements like that when most of the time it is just their own opinion they try to push through. Hence why I asked for proof, a source, to back up such a statement. Hope you understand that.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I just really dislike when people make statements like that when most of the time it is just their own opinion they try to push through. Hence why I asked for proof, a source, to back up such a statement. Hope you understand that.

Do I need proof to back up my "Same way how most DMC fans don't like DmC" statement too?

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
But again, where do you get that "most" from? How do you know the majority of the Megaman fanbase don't want something like this? Can you provide the proof to back up this statement of yours?

COMMON. ****ING. SENSE. When has an established series been rebooted while at the same time changed EVERYTHING about it ever been something that's both well received by fans and executed properly?

"Oh all those characters that i've grown to know and love are getting new, dark and gritty personality reboots AND they're changing the way the entire game plays? Man i sure can't wait for THAT!" is something i totally hear all the time.

And before anybody brings up Battle Network, it worked because despite going from platformer to Hybrid JRPG, it retained and expanded upon it's cheerful, colourful background while ALSO giving a fantastic, simple to play battle system, in essence it was a reboot and genre change done successfully because it took so much from both the Classic and X series, it embraced what people liked instead of just ignoring it.

It's funny how Capcom did the whole reboot thing (even though BN isn't technically a reboot but w/e) and did it well with a touch of class to it and then took a **** on the DMC series.

ZeroLove

COMMON. *******. SENSE. When has an established series been rebooted while at the same time changed EVERYTHING about it ever been something that's both well received by fans and executed properly?

"Oh all those characters that i've grown to know and love are getting new, dark and gritty personality reboots AND they're changing the way the entire game plays? Man i sure can't wait for THAT!" is something i totally hear all the time.

And before anybody brings up Battle Network, it worked because despite going from platformer to Hybrid JRPG, it retained and expanded upon it's cheerful, colourful background while ALSO giving a fantastic, simple to play battle system, in essence it was a reboot and genre change done successfully because it took so much from both the Classic and X series, it embraced what people liked instead of just ignoring it.

It's funny how Capcom did the whole reboot thing (even though BN isn't technically a reboot but w/e) and did it well with a touch of class to it and then took a **** on the DMC series.

That was not the point. The point was to have a source of proof to back up a statement. Stylish Nero and I ended that discussion though, so no need to start it again.

However, to answer your question, I do believe the new Tomb Raider was very well recieved amongst fans, even if the game is nothing like its predecessors.

Top Bottom