• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Can corrupted data be salvaged?

Osaka

trollololol
I've had this "block" of corrupted data on my ps2 memory card for years and have wondered if the data can ever be saved? I was using an Action Replay option to zip save files so I could free up some space but something obviously went wrong and I ended up with a blue block that I couldn't do nothing with (can't even delete it.) I can still use the memory card (doing so now actually.) So I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this or knows anything?

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
I've had this "block" of corrupted data on my ps2 memory card for years and have wondered if the data can ever be saved? I was using an Action Replay option to zip save files so I could free up some space but something obviously went wrong and I ended up with a blue block that I couldn't do nothing with (can't even delete it.) I can still use the memory card (doing so now actually.) So I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this or knows anything?

The corrupted data occurs sometimes when using a Gameshark or Action Replay discs. There is no way to delete that corrupted data nor can be recovered. My advice for you is to buy a new Memory Card.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I had corrupted data on a memory card and was able to delete it. They usually don't take up much space either, the ones stuck on mine were anywhere from 0 KBs to 7 KBs, and there were four of them. They came outta nowhere too, I don't use cheat devices except when I'm stuck and will never win or when I want to experiment.

Osaka

trollololol
The corrupted data occurs sometimes when using a Gameshark or Action Replay discs. There is no way to delete that corrupted data nor can be recovered. My advice for you is to buy a new Memory Card.

Oh, that's a shame. :( After that incident occurred I stopped zipping and I certainly wouldn't do it again.

Storm Silves said:
I don't use cheat devices except when I'm stuck and will never win or when I want to experiment.

I like it when I've finished a game and I can just mess around with certain cheats and stuff. I think it can add a bit more fun to things (like GTA games.) I think I've only ever used my AR to finish 2/3 games that I got bored with (MGS3 was definitely one of them.)

Dark Drakan

Admin
Usually you have to format the card and remove all the data to get rid of corrupted files but there is no way i know of to retrieve it. I had some issues with the same thing some years ago now.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I've *touch wood* never had any trouble with corrupt PS2 mems, In fact, i didn't know it could happen to PS2 mems.

But, I'm pretty much an expert from the Gamecube side of corrupt cards. From what I remember third party memory cards corrupt really easily... :( Anyway, from what I know data can't be recovered and the whole card has to be formatted. But, like I said, that's from a GC memory card pov.

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
On a little side note, when you turn on your PS2 have you noticed the little lights and columns etc?

Well they are actually different for each PS2 and are to do with the amount of time/games you've played (I think) you can see this work if you go into your PS2 memory card and delete the system config (it shouldn't affect any other files) it resets the whole process and you get it from fresh, try it it's quite interesting!

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
And's why I not used Action replay codes for SMT Nocturne. Well that one what unlocks Masakado Magatama was tempting for me, but when I saw on other forums about problems with cheated saves I resigned

Osaka

trollololol
On a little side note, when you turn on your PS2 have you noticed the little lights and columns etc?

Eh?

Well they are actually different for each PS2 and are to do with the amount of time/games you've played (I think) you can see this work if you go into your PS2 memory card and delete the system config (it shouldn't affect any other files) it resets the whole process and you get it from fresh, try it it's quite interesting!

After finding out that there's nothing I can do, I think I'm just going to leave my mem cards as they are and not mess with them anymore.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014

He was talking about how, when you turn on the PS2, there's that screen that lasts about a moment that looks sort of like a city? That actually changes depending on what's in your memory card at the time.

Osaka

trollololol
He was talking about how, when you turn on the PS2, there's that screen that lasts about a moment that looks sort of like a city? That actually changes depending on what's in your memory card at the time.

Oh right. Don't take much notice of it tbh.

Have you considered killing it with fire?

Can't say I have, no. It's kinda become the cards 3rd leg..It's grown attached to it.

Top Bottom