• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Campaign Story for Vergil playable again?

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
I just hope DMC5 can go for Special Edition.

Plus what kind of story would you have Vergil take on without him taking the same missions as the main 3. Have his journey take place in the Underworld with Dante?

In that, have them go on a soul journey and a hunt for Mundus. Not Mundus to be the final boss, but to search for his location through his servants.

Vergil’s redemption!

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
V being Vergil is comparable to NT trying to convince us that TGS 10 Dante was going to become Classic Dante.

If they are gonna commit to it, i wanna see what makes V Vergil beyond the name and vice versa.

I don't mind if its reflected in Southworth's perfomance, the summons make a comeback or his design reflects V more.

William Blake's work had some interesting ideas about mythology and the world so i don't mind if they have Vergil explore more of it in a spinoff etc.

The other story thread explored how they could've used V/Urizen better but i doubt a special edition would do that on its own.

5 getting a special edition won't really add new story content. Best we could hope for is Vergil being playable and him fighting Dante, Nero, V, lady and Trish in the bloody palace.

Hungry Alien

For a Vergil campagn, I think having him spend some time in hell with Dante would be the best. It would give an opportunity to see Vergil think about what he has done, and how V's memories will affect him. Plus it could also make Dante grow and developp a bond with Vergil.

For the reason for them to move, I would have them looking for Mundus, but not being able to reach him because of their lack of knowledge of the demon world. The DLC would also show more of hell and how it works.

Goldsickle

It's weird that DmC is the only game that has an actual, proper story for a Vergil campaign, even if it's a small DLC story pack.

DMC3:SE & DMC4:SE had some opening cutscenes but simply have Vergil retracing through Dante & Nero's stages, with no context.

Even if it wounds up short, with about 6 chapters, I'd like a proper Vergil story pack.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
If you want new story content for 5, you're better off hoping for a DLC than a Special edition.

Past special editions haven't done story additions beyond a new cutscene. Even DmC's definitive edition followed suit. Vergil's Downfall was a seperate DLC added to the definite edition.

Im not against Vergil getting his own spinoff.

Hungry Alien

If you want new story content for 5, you're better off hoping for a DLC than a Special edition.

Past special editions haven't done story additions beyond a new cutscene. Even DmC's definitive edition followed suit. Vergil's Downfall was a seperate DLC added to the definite edition.

Im not against Vergil getting his own spinoff.
Past Special Edition are outdated now. Capcom stated that they will keep making DMC games. So it would be logical to change the formula of past game.

I think DMC deserve to get the same treatment as Monster Hunter with Iceborn. A big DLC with a lot of content like a new feature allowing to fight new version of boss, a new campagn with Vergil (and maybe Trish and Lady with Lady Night), and new weapons for everyone (new demons for V plus a reworked gameplay and new breaker for Nero).

With an adapted price, it would work.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Past Special Edition are outdated now. Capcom stated that they will keep making DMC games. So it would be logical to change the formula of past game.

I think DMC deserve to get the same treatment as Monster Hunter with Iceborn. A big DLC with a lot of content like a new feature allowing to fight new version of boss, a new campagn with Vergil (and maybe Trish and Lady with Lady Night), and new weapons for everyone (new demons for V plus a reworked gameplay and new breaker for Nero).

With an adapted price, it would work.
that sounds great but I don't have that much faith in Capcom to do it. I hope to be wrong but for now, my expectations are low.

Hungry Alien

that sounds great but I don't have that much faith in Capcom to do it. I hope to be wrong but for now, my expectations are low.
Unfortunaly, we can only hope for Capcom to get that DMC deserve far better. For me, a game like DMC deserve to have the success of DOOM with the 2016 game and DOOM Eternal. But to get to that point, the serie need to get back on foot and have a good scenario and put on a good show. I see DMC 5 ending as the starting point for this. The Sons of Sparda arc is over, there isn't any stories going on, and Nero ended his development when he got his DT. Plus Capcom seems to have plans for the future of DMC, so there is an opportunity to make DMC great again that musn't be missed.

Goldsickle

Whatever it is, hopefully Vergil gets something more than just the usual Yamato + Yamato & Force Edge + Beowulf setup.

He needs a proper story where he explores and collects his own set of Devil Arms.
It could even be some story where Dante gets knocked out and drops his Balrog set, allowing Vergil to pick them up (a reference to how Dante picks up Beowulf dropped by Vergil).

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Whatever it is, hopefully Vergil gets something more than just the usual Yamato + Yamato & Force Edge + Beowulf setup.

He needs a proper story where he explores and collects his own set of Devil Arms.
It could even be some story where Dante gets knocked out and drops his Balrog set, allowing Vergil to pick them up (a reference to how Dante picks up Beowulf dropped by Vergil).

Its stated in the DMC5 prequel novel Balrog only became Dante's Devil Arm so he can collect battle data while Dante is using him (which is why he can talk during gameplay) and become stronger so they can have their rematch. So that novel (which is written by the same writer as the games and Itsuno approved) sets up Balrog's return and rematch. I wouldn't be surprised if say in a Vergil campaign Balrog makes due with his promise and returns for his rematch only to fight Vergil instead, lose, and become Vergil's Devil Arm.

In his boss fight they shown Vergil capable of using Helm Breaker and Stinger through just Yamato alone. They'll probably just squeeze whatever moves of Force Edge into Yamato and whatever they can't fit into another weapon. DMC4SE didn't capitilize on the newer inputs DMC5 now capitalize on so there is plenty of room for his Yamato moveset to expand.

Unfortunaly, we can only hope for Capcom to get that DMC deserve far better. For me, a game like DMC deserve to have the success of DOOM with the 2016 game and DOOM Eternal. But to get to that point, the serie need to get back on foot and have a good scenario and put on a good show. I see DMC 5 ending as the starting point for this. The Sons of Sparda arc is over, there isn't any stories going on, and Nero ended his development when he got his DT. Plus Capcom seems to have plans for the future of DMC, so there is an opportunity to make DMC great again that musn't be missed.

As shown with SFV and Monster Hunter World it seems Capcom are adapting their business model to be more current. DMC3SE couldn't really exist any other way and only exist to fix how they botched the difficulty in Western territories and DMC4SE was a rushed product (Itsuno admits this). The higher ups keep saying stuff like how the game exceeded expectations, rejuvenated the brand, they're treating it as a core franchise (I guess that means alongside RE, SF, and MH), how they've hired or hiring new recruits or fresh talent who are excited to work on DMC games, and more.

https://nichegamer.com/2019/10/16/capcom-teases-future-devil-may-cry-titles/
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/annual/2019/annual_2019_01.pdf

Couple with all the accolades and the fact the game won a GOTY award the higher ups must either must be insanely stupid (considering Capcom's history plausible), have some grudge against this franchise (maybe Kamiya ****ed in someone's cereal before he left), or be insanely stubborn to not to.

Coupled with some anime (potentially) coming out soon which would make for some great cross promotion (as well as the fact the series 20th year anniversary is next year) they would be UTTER FOOLS to not (eventually) capitalize on the insane amount of clout this franchise is getting lately.

Then you have how they are adding some new feature(s) to a port of a 15 year old game that they've ported elsewhere 3x already. I mean fans weren't even asking for them to update DMC3 (they were instead asking them to update DMC5 lol) and would be happy to just get DMC3 on the Switch but they're doing it anyway.

Then again I can't see the future nor do I work for Capcom (as well if they were working on something there would be credible leaks by now like there was for RE3 Remake) so all I'm saying just makes sense to me but Capcom.....honestly sometimes lack common sense or running a multi billion dollar business is a lot more nuanced and complicated than we think it is.

Top Bottom