• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Call of Duty Blamed for bombings

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Russian TV blames Domodedovo airport bombing on Call Of Duty
With grim inevitability the media is blaming video games for the recent bomb attack in a Moscow airport, with Russian TV claiming terrorists may have 'trained' on Modern Warfare 2.

'The bloody scenes of the Moscow attack are reminiscent of what can be seen in a year-old computer game, the scenario of which controversially involves a character who is urged to kill civilians in an imaginary Russian airport,' says the website of television channel Russia Today.

'This is the way entertainment mirrors reality and reality mirrors entertainment, and there are people influenced by all this, even though the manufacturers always deny having any influence on anyone,' claims media critic Danny Schechter.

'I think those who have been radicalized already – that is supposed in this case jihadists, Al-Qaeda or other kind – they look at the games and say these games will serve them to train,' he added.

As anyone that's played the infamous 'No Russian' level of Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (i.e. just about every games player in the Western world) will know it involves a highly unlikely gun attack by a small group of Russian ultranationalists - rather than the bomb attack that seems to have caused the Domodedovo International Airport tragedy.

Although it's tempting to dismiss the reports as simply more ill-informed media scapegoating it's worth noting that Activision excised the offending level from the game when it released it in Russia, so they must have thought it was in some way inappropriate.

Pirate copies of the Western version of the game are widely available in Russia though or, as the article itself points out, anyone in the world can watch the offending level on YouTube.

Wow, i never saw that one coming :lol:
Did Pacman ever cause this kind of trouble?

Dark Drakan

Admin
Yawn, blame video games because a real life situation has happened where game violence was set. There was no bomb in the game, just a group of people walking through an airport gunning people down (which in theory could happen anywhere in the world at any time). Could say Mario teaches people to eat mushrooms and stamp on turtle shells or GTA teaches us to steal cars and deal drugs or Hitman teaches us how to kill people. I think its lazy and plain ignorant to say a game 'trained' anyone to do anything.

Maybe people should concentrate on looking at society today and its shortcomings and issues rather than blaming media for every single thing. Most the issues going on in the world right now are due to governments and country leaders so switching the blame looks like a distraction tool to take the attention from them.

Top Bottom