• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Button configurations

loysh

Ok, i just got this game for ps3, and im assuming there is a few button configs which are more optimal. Which one/ones are the best for challenging gameplay/good combos/ jump canceling?

I dont want to get used to one and find that there is a better one.

Currenty mine is the default except I changed to L1/R1 to Angel/demon, rather than L2/R2 (which is now dodge)

Thanks in advance :)

Downfall

I've always been a fan of customizable control schemes. Especially since the only way I could effectively jump-cancel in DMC3 while in midair was assigning the melee command on the square button, and the jump command on the L2 button. I know, it sounds confusing, but it makes sense once you try it.

I can't jump cancel using the default control method. The seesaw motion is always off, and the slide motion gives me a blister. You have to develop a callus to do it easily that way.

To be honest, I actually don't know the absolute best scheme for DmC either, so, I'm just going to keep checking back on this thread.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
I can't jump cancel using the default control method. The seesaw motion is always off, and the slide motion gives me a blister. You have to develop a callus to do it easily that way.
If you have a claw grip default controls are just as easy as any other control configs. Actually DmC is one of the only games I have changed the control scheme since 2 evade buttons was completely useless to me, so I put DT where it always has been for DMC default controls (L1/LB).

I actually really recommend developing a fluent claw grip since once you do every game you play can benefit from it by a huge amount. More so than sliding and see-saw techniques imo.

ajaxz

Button Masher
Personally, I moved Gun Attack to R1 (charging purposes), Dodge to R2, Angel to L2 and Demon to L1, and moved DT to Square.

It's really all down to personal preference. IMO, there's no "right or wrong" way to configure your controls, whatever is best for one person isn't always going to be best for another :)

Soupie

DT is fairly easy to pull off with L3, R3. I personally think you should have put gun special in place of DT there.

ChaserTech

Personally, I moved Gun Attack to R1 (charging purposes)

You can actually charge the gun button without holding the gun button down.

All you need to do is charge your gun, input two other attacks RIGHT after you release the gun button (Dodge and then do a Prop) and the gun will stay charged.

EvilX-81

Gun special for me is now []
Gun is L1 (to charge while continuing the attack, and also use gun specials while charging)

The rest is pretty much default.

ajaxz

Button Masher
DT is fairly easy to pull off with L3, R3. I personally think you should have put gun special in place of DT there.

I would have, but can't change gun special on PC, the ony way I got DT to Square was by using a macro with DS3 tool. I tried to macro Gun Special, but it didn't work out to well (i.e. wouldn't work while charging, couldn't hold down, rainstorm etc. wouldn't last long).

Soupie

You need to mess with the DefaultInput.ini file. You can rebind Gun Special from there.

8BitHero

Scrub
Mine is:
X/Square: Attack
Y/Trangle: Devil Trigger
B/O: Special Melee
A/X: Jump

LB/L1: Demon Mode
LT/L2: Angel Mode
RB/R1: Dodge
RT/R2: Shoot

Dpad: Unchanged

Downfall

If you have a claw grip default controls are just as easy as any other control configs. Actually DmC is one of the only games I have changed the control scheme since 2 evade buttons was completely useless to me, so I put DT where it always has been for DMC default controls (L1/LB).

I actually really recommend developing a fluent claw grip since once you do every game you play can benefit from it by a huge amount. More so than sliding and see-saw techniques imo.

I'm sorry. I'm a total noob. Can you tell me how to do a claw grip so that way I don't have to change the control scheme? Or, perhaps a youtube vid?

But either way, it was really good advice. Thanks.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
I'm sorry. I'm a total noob. Can you tell me how to do a claw grip so that way I don't have to change the control scheme? Or, perhaps a youtube vid?
This explains it in a very basic way;
I really wish I had a camera to show how I do it clearly since most videos that explain it are FPS trickshot players and they don't really go into how it helps in every game, or how to use it fully. But I'll still try and explain a little more.

In terms of DmC I have both my thumb and index working the face buttons at the same time, keeping my middle/ring finger for the stance and evade buttons. As for switching weapons it's easier to do on a PS3 control because of where the D-Pad is, allowing for a standard claw grip on both sides. That being said it is still possible to do a claw grip on the D-pad side of an Xbox controller (If you use an Xbox controller just say and I'll go into more detail on how to use a claw grip on the D-pad side effectively).

Depending on the game I'm playing and how it works I change my methods ever so slightly, but these are the ways I have found to be the best for DMC esque games. It may take a long time to practice and get use to but the benefits in the end are plenty. I've actually become so use to using a claw grip I feel really weird when I go back to just using a standard grip.

Downfall

Whoa. Thanks a lot. In my previous post, I was even about to ask if the "Claw Grip" involved using your forefinger and thumb somehow. Then I deleted that part because I thought it had sounded idiotic and that it was some other mystical, all-powerful grip. Looks like I was at least partially right.^_^

Either way, I really liked the vid. Helps a whole lot more than the other tutorials I've watched since you always need to change the control scheme somehow to maximize your potential. Good stuff.

Edit:

I was considering getting a 360, since I heard DmC runs better on it, but I'll hold off for now. I'm not quite ready to take the plunge, especially since I've got other games that need to be finished first.

Actually, you know what? I change my mind. Would you mind telling me how to do it on a 360 controller? Now that I've thought about it, I actually want to know more about it than I did before.

Gbraga

My control scheme (Xbox buttons)

LT - Angel Mode
RT - Demon Mode
LB - Gun Special
RB - Evade
D-pad down - Devil Trigger

Everything else default.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
some other mystical, all-powerful grip.
lol I don't think there are other grips out there that work as well as this. Most of the time they'll be variants of a claw grip, so unless other limbs are involved this is probably the best :p

Would you mind telling me how to do it on a 360 controller? Now that I've thought about it, I actually want to know more about it than I did before.
No videos or references this time since I don't think there are any, all this is what I have found to work so I'm unsure of how other people would find it.

First thing I will say is that it is possible to do a constant claw grip on the left side, however it means you'll be working an analogue with your index finger all the time which not only strains the finger but lowers the speed and accuracy for doing inputs. The way I have worked around this is by switching between standard and claw grip constantly. I do this by making my thumb push the analogue into a certain position where my index can then take over and hold it down, this enables me to do whatever I want with the D-Pad whilst still moving in that held down direction, then once I'm done with the D-Pad I put my thumb back in control of the analogue. Getting the switching time between standard/claw grip as low as possible is essential for this, I recommend actually keeping your index on standby next to your analogue if you know you'll be using the D-Pad a lot.

Also little extra note about this technique; most of the time you'll probably be pushing the analogue forward for your index to hold down, but when it comes to holding the analogue backwards it's very easy to go straight to pulling it back with your index, also when pulling back you'll have a lot more direction control compared to holding forward. Adjusting your direction when holding the analogue forward often leads to your index loosing grip and being unable to maintain that forward movement.

This is probably the most detail I can go into without a video, any questions about it feel free to ask.

Downfall

Thanks again. I think that covers everything I need to know; just switch to standard (when moving), and keep the time between switching as low as possible. Next, switch back only when you think you'll be using the D-Pad a lot. ^_^

Off Topic: I just noticed the ''Delete'' option was put back recently. Thanks, mods and admins.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
Thanks again. I think that covers everything I need to know; just switch to standard (when moving), and keep the time between switching as low as possible. Next, switch back only when you think you'll be using the D-Pad a lot. ^_^
Glad to help ^_^ also let me know how you find using claw grip after a while, I've never actually seen or heard how other people have learnt and practised it so I would be interested to hear how it pans out for you.

Top Bottom