• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

btmudd28 explains Vergil's motives once and for all (HEAVY SPOILERS)

Soupie

I don't think it was much of Dante opposing the idea of control but how Vergil intended to "rule" over his "subjects". One can lead and provide guidance, but Vergil gave a strong impression that he wanted a totalitarian rule, deeming humans as too weak and fragile to uphold the responsibility of leading themselves. This is probably why Dante said that everything they did turned out to be for Vergil's own freedom and not the humans. Vergil clearly believes that both he and Dante have transcended humanity purely from their status as Nephilims. Ultimately, him becoming leader is something anyone would be scared of.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
It didn't help that Dante had heard, in a different phrasing, the EXAXT same thing Vergil was spouting about taking over from MUNDUS, the same guy they fought to destroy. "Respect our subjects" or not, he was not willing to see Phineas' prediction of "who will take Mundus'" place come true by his own actions.

And yeah, he was in a DT induced rage, I'm pretty sure he would have pulled back if not for that. Once he realized with Kat's help what he was doing, he pulled back and helped Vergil up, in a fashion that was almost an apology. He still was ****ed over Vergil's desire to reign the humans in, hence "this world is under MY protection now". Working from behind the scenes, not standing at the forefront as a king.

8BitHero

Scrub
I'm not sure if they genuinely hated each other. It's never made apparent if Vergil was trying to kill Dante, it's possible he was just trying to beat him into submission, but alas there's no evidence to support that so it's basically your opinion versus mine when it comes to that. I think Dante's blatant disregard for Vergil's life stems from the Devil Trigger induced super-rage that he goes into. He lost control and was going to kill Vergil, until Kat stepped in.

I've seen someone make the point that Kat's intervention is what is so bothersome about the end of that ordeal; that Dante only let up on Vergil because Kat begged him to stop and it wasn't Dante's love for his brother that caused him to stop. And I agree with that, it would have been much more impactful if Dante regained his control and was like "oops, that's totes my brother. Probably shouldn't kill him."
And that being said, even Kat has to owe Vergil his life. Kat was saved by Vergil. Vergil was willing to go join Dantes cause and get Kat back from Mundus (The Trade) and both Dante and Vergil(with the help of Kat) did put an end to all of mankinds brainwashing. Despite her knowing that Vergil considers he a lesser being, he's done more good than bad for the world(if any bad).

Like I said in another post, my only problem is how quickly they turn on each other. They spend days with each other only turn to complete enemies within a matter of minutes. If they built up the tension in the earlier missions, then the ending wouldn't have been so disorientating. I completely understand bother Dante and Vergil, my problem is Ninja Theorys way of quickly pushing that in, rather than letting the opposing views develop over the game.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Well, they did build up a bit of tension when Dante disagreed with Vergil's intentions of leaving Kat behind, and then Vergil's unwillingness to save Kat later.

Oddly enough, when you see how Vergil talks of humans in the end, it shows us there's something more to his "forget Kat" scenes, because it's not that he doesn't care about Kat, it's that he ultimately doesn't care for the humans in general. His thinking wasn't about not wanting to risk their lives to save Kat, it was about realizing that Kat is just another casualty in helping Vergil attain his freedom to rule. She lived out her purpose and Vergil was just ready to move on. "Kat was useful" after all.

That's why he had little remorse for all of The Order's casualties.

DankestDarkness

Wondering sprit from hell
Vergils action of evil was always hinted in the game how he just didnt care for Kathy what so ever and just the little things he says that makes you not trust him and his motives the switch in the end was just cool but never thought he wanted to rule the humans thought he just wanted more power

- The True Nephilim -

Devil Trigger Expert
Vergil always had hints of his 'true self' during the game. Him wanting to leave Kat behind because he didn't need her after extracting the info. Him rejecting to save Kat. I think the most evident clue on him being 'twisted' was during the trade. Kat wasn't even near the car when he shot Mundus' spawn, later killing Lillith, not caring for Kat's safety. You also see as he shoots Lillith, he started to smile while shooting her.He wasn't just doing it for the safety of the world he did it for his own pleasure, which Dante didn't approve of.

Top Bottom