• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Boy gamers vs girl gamers

Select your gender

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Because, for all intents and purposes, I was curious to see how many girls and how many guys we have on the forum. Queer and such is irrelevant, if someone wanted to do a poll on that, feel free to go do so but this thread is not meant for people to come out and say I'M A GIRL AND I FANCY GIRLS!! I consider myself a tomboy, but I'm not going to put myself in the category of 'other' just because of that. I was born a girl and, unless you've gone through the process of turning yourself into the opposite gender and you are legally/socially/physically labelled male or female, just select the gender that you ARE.
Thanks.
I didn't mean 'why does it have to be male vs female' in relation to this poll, I was just having a general wondering. Your poll made me think of that.It just made me think that there are people that have male or female bodies but identify more with the opposite gender mind.
Gender isn't a simple binary male/ female, but society makes it that way because it is easier. I wasn't making any great social commentary about sexuality either, it was just a wondering. Didn't mean to derail the thread ^_^

And I'm so glad we have many females on the forum. I think female's in gaming should be a lot more popular. because so many of them are missing out!
Yep I agree, there should be more. This forum is great though because I get to discuss gaming. In my town, not many gamers that I know.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I'd rather not, since saying one or the other would be dishonest - either to myself, or the stance you've taken about selecting what you are. I appreciate that it's just a %*£etc. poll and it's *your* poll (I assume it's what you're speaking of in the ranting thinking thread), and that you seem to express yourself even more aggressively about it at this point. Quite honestly there's no need to be so forceful.
I don't mean to come off as aggressive or forceful, but what would you do if you feel like you're being berated for creating what is supposed to be a simple, straightforward poll? One that I might add has been done before, but nobody was giving the OP slack for not including 'others' back then, so I have no idea why this is even happening or why it had to be me, considering a barely post here anymore.
I wanted to ask one of the staff to lock this thread but decided it would be stupid of me to have all the other members miss out on the chance to join in the poll, so instead I'll take my leave and never look back, cheers.

What people are trying to get at here is that some people don't identify as either "male" or "female," so by making a poll that only has those two options, you're excluding people. But at the same time, it's your poll. And you don't HAVE to include other genders/sexes if you don't want to.

Actually, seeing how I always like seeing your in-depth thoughts on a subject, DS, why don't we make a thread where we can all discuss gender/sex/sexual orientation? Our own. Other peoples. Stuff in general. Could be a fun discussion. :D

Plus! The people here who don't fit into the male/female binary can have a chance to explain how they identify. :D

Anyone interested?
I know what they meant but as I said, I'd like to keep it simple and would prefer this not to turn into a thread where people decide to come out of the closet. This isn't about sexuality, it's about gender. A gay guy is still a guy, a lesbian is still a woman, regardless of their mindset and sexual preferences. This is what people don't seem to be getting.

That aside, I'd love to join in a discussion like that (just not in this thread), but whether I'd make the thread myself is questionable, I'd rather wait for someone else to do that. :3

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I don't mean to come off as aggressive or forceful, but what would you do if you feel like you're being berated for creating what is supposed to be a simple, straightforward poll? One that I might add has been done before, but nobody was giving the OP slack for not including 'others' back then, so I have no idea why this is even happening or why it had to be me, considering a barely post here anymore.
I wanted to ask one of the staff to lock this thread but decided it would be stupid of me to have all the other members miss out on the chance to join in the poll, so instead I'll take my leave and never look back, cheers.

*snip*

V

Oldschool DMC fan
(Apologies for D. Post)

Just wanted to clear the air and say there's no issues here - DS wasn't intentionally leaving anybody out (she thought hard about the options first and came to the conclusion they suited the intention of the poll best) and I don't think it's fair for me to push my point any further on this or for everyone to beat down on the thread for the options. We know the score, it's just a poll to see how many of which are here, not a gender debate. :)

Meg

I know what they meant but as I said, I'd like to keep it simple and would prefer this not to turn into a thread where people decide to come out of the closet. This isn't about sexuality, it's about gender. A gay guy is still a guy, a lesbian is still a woman, regardless of their mindset and sexual preferences. This is what people don't seem to be getting.

That aside, I'd love to join in a discussion like that (just not in this thread), but whether I'd make the thread myself is questionable, I'd rather wait for someone else to do that. :3
Sure, I'll make the thread later today. That way we can all talk about this stuff without it being off-topic. :D

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
but I haven't studied sociology for more than 12 years now and also, as a subject, it's a load of crap.

Oh christ, don't remind me of that waste of two years of my life. Load of crap that's so hilariously open to interpretation.

----

I'm male, I play the vidyas way too much, I also play the vidyas way too much with a number of female friends.
Oh how vidya can be such a wonderful tool of unity through bloodshed and carnage.

TheJoy

Smile with me.
Female gamer for as long as i can remember. My big sister let me play sonic on her Sega Mega Drive and i've be hooked ever since. :)

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I wish sociology were a better science than it is, and psychology as well. Because it's pretty interesting, but I just can't take some theories in it any more serious than philosophy class. My education background is 'HARD SCIENCE!11" so... when I read about Freud's penis envy or someone who assumes we all fit into neat little pidgeonholes of behaviour without any experimental proof of it I have to laugh. A science based on surveys...

Gorbashou

I'm male. So obviously I'm a male gamer.

Even if I'd dislike my gender I can't just deny that I am of that gender. Since, I am.
It's like saying I don't have eyes when I clearly do just because I dislike eyes.

Either way, it's cewl to see it is very even here. ^^

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I want to point out there aren't just two sexes, XX and XY. We classify a life form's sex strictly based on the chromosomes it has. But some people are born XXXY or XXYY. So what are they? They're not XX and XY. They're something else. Neat sex definitions based on biology fall apart when you realize there's more than two.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
I want to point out there aren't just two sexes, XX and XY. We classify a life form's sex strictly based on the chromosomes it has. But some people are born XXXY or XXYY. So what are they? They're not XX and XY. They're something else. Neat sex definitions based on biology fall apart when you realize there's more than two.
I decided to do some reading up online and supposedly as soon as a Y chromosome is introduced the person will be male but with extra chromosomes and vice versa. The chromosomes being abnormal alone aren't considered to be enough to de-categorize someone as male/female as the sex related anatomy doesn't really deviate to the other sexes side, it needs more than that. (This is just based on what I've read from multiple places, just wanted to see your view on it because I'm quite interested to learn about it)

EDIT: Really this should be discussed in the new thread, if you want you can post the response there :)

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I decided to do some reading up online and supposedly as soon as a Y chromosome is introduced the person will be male but with extra chromosomes and vice versa. The chromosomes being abnormal alone aren't considered to be enough to de-categorize someone as male/female as the sex related anatomy doesn't really deviate to the other sexes side, it needs more than that. (This is just based on what I've read from multiple places, just wanted to see your view on it because I'm quite interested to learn about it)
But what then does it need? What really categorizes a person as male or female (undeniably)? Being able to produce sperm or eggs? Having a penis or ovaries? Or the letter 'M' or 'F' stuck on their birth certificate by someone who decides it based on their own opinion?

Biologically/scientifically there are two general ways to classify sex as male or female (and the sexes outside of the 'normal' male or female: asexual life forms, hermaphrodites, parthenogenesis, intersex, etc. In the case of humans, being XY or XX. Or - does the organism produce 'sperm' or 'eggs'. Those are the usual ways of classifying 'male or 'female' strictly scientifically. But:

Some people with extra or 'abnormal' numbers of chromosomes are born looking unremarkably different from anyone else - you or I could be one and never know. But some are born with both male and female sex organs, usually underformed examples of both, right next to each other. Such underformed male or female parts that do not produce the sperm or eggs necessary to be classified scientifically as male or female, can't be strictly classified as. Sure, people usually decide to join the dots themselves and decide to pick male or female as the gender to 'live as', the overwhelming pressure of society to conform in that respect would make it almost unthinkable not to until recently. But I'm talking about the scientific definition, which, if something has both functional male and female parts (and is fertile) it is hermaphroditic, and if it does not have functional male or female parts (does not produce either egg nor sperm/is infertile) it is intersex. Strictly speaking, that is what such people would be classified as, meaning there are more scientific categories of sex than just two. Of course if said individuals had abnormal chromosomes and were functional sperm or egg producers, they could still be classed as male or female. But I say this to highlight the case of those who are not functional and have ambiguous parts. We look at it 'humanly' usually - if a woman had to have her ovaries removed and was no longer fertile, is she no longer a woman? Of course not, she is still a woman in human terms. In scientific terms she is an infertile female with the context taken into account. If she was born with male and female parts neither of which worked however, science would classify her as intersex. In the past she would have had to be 'given' a gender to live as, whereas now she might be classified intersex (I'm not sure?) and be permitted to choose her own sexual alignment when ready.

My personal view is that science provides an indivisible 'value' for sex as a basis for observation, but obviously as reality shows, there is no way to classify sex beyond opinion or science and science shows us sexes that lie on the fence between the usual domains of biological sex. There is really an infinite number of developments there could be on that scale during development before birth because the condition of 'abnormal' numbers of sex chromosomes is not genetically fatal, unlike some genetic conditions. It makes the person no less of a person in my view, but if the idea of "there are only two sexes" is raised, then it can shown there are more than two according to the science on which we tend to argue these things.

I'm just going on the science taught me on my biology degree. Doctors' decisions about what an intersex person should live as or be known as for sociological/psychological reasons aren't in the realm of the strict science of it so much. Sometimes those decisions are poorly made.

Edit: yeah, this should be in the other thread if anyone wants to continue. I got carried away.

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton
I'm Dusk Stalker, and Im a male gamer and a brony(Not like it matters lol).

Story of my life...

Top Bottom