• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Bound by Flame

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
The trailer narrator sounds kind of like Don LaFontaine, the man behind thousands of film trailers, except more Discovery Channel-ish. Bound By Flame looks really interesting and I like the idea of "dealing with the devil" when using fire powers. I wonder if the developers will allow you to be a "monster hunter who becomes a monster" to save to world instead of just reluctantly using demonic powers or just giving in completely. So, a sacrifice for the greater good - using demonic powers -, rejection and staying as human as possible, and failing or seduction for ultimate power. Also, the title now makes sense: the main character is bound to a fire demon, therefore bound by flames.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Oh absolutely.

But more importantly because a female character adds variety in a male lead gaming world.
Developers say they're all for gender equality & yet miss opportunities like this.
Bound By Flame, Deep Down, & other PS4, X1 had opportunities while in the planning stages to make a female character part of the main story.
Instead they chose not to, it's ashame.
That and people want Snow Elf/Redhead action with another woman.

In all seriousness, I can only think of Mirror's Edge 2 and Tomb Raider 2 as future releases where a woman is the central character. Dark Souls 2, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Bravely Default, and others don't really count since they usually involve central characters and sometimes being male or female does nothing aside from being cosmetic or allowing the player to do other things like wear gender-locked armor. Still, Dragon Age, like Mass Effect, and some games out there can make it feel like you are the main character (with a different voice and awesome powers) and not all players are male. Some are female while others are cats, dogs, and blue aliens. Others feel they can relate more to someone of the same gender. Others wants a different experience while playing as the opposite gender. And some, like me, just want more games to have female leads that are more than eye-candy. There's a reason why I think Faith Connors, from Mirror's Edge, is one of the coolest heroines out there.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
That's the charm about titles with character creation & something many don't get at all.
Titles with a character creation lead is setup where it isn't locked specifically to a particular character, where every event, every puzzle is setup only for that particular character.
You have 15heroes in your group but the locked gate only opens for Batman.
You have a city in need of help but it only asks for Batman.
Silent protagonists also work like this since they don't talk - if that wasn't obvious already. They may not look like you and they might have extraordinary powers, but when you play through the game, you feel like you're choosing to do things rather than the character choosing to do something. In Mass Effect, you choose what Shepard's motives are, but it's still limited to how much dialogue the game has. With a silent protagonist, you make the story. If I wanted to, I could make the reason why Link was saving the world in Ocarina of Time was not because he was brave or selfless, but because he wanted some reward cake. They don't talk; players do the talking for them. It also helps if the game has sprites who are androgynous. The White Mage is considered female in Final Fantasy, but I could play it through a male White Mage who rather than being the typical macho Warrior or guile Thief, wanted to be a healer and be everyone's savior.

Also, in a crappy city undeserving of heroes, there's a reason why Gotham calls for Batman. Who else is going to save a damned city? Who else has faith in them when no one else does? Who else won't abandon them? Gotham's dependent on Batman and sadly, Batman's there to save them. Gotham is Batman's city. If I was a hero, I would have left a long time ago. Heroes shouldn't be the reason why a city lives. Heroes should be the reason why a city thrives.
Titles with character creation asks for help from anyone & feels more like you're apart of that story not watching a specific character embark on a quest specifically for them. Everything just so happens to be designed only for Batman.
That and it can make games hilarious. Here comes neon-green hair man to save the day! Watch as he slings purple fireballs at demons from the sixth level of hell! Listen to his posh and incomprehensible accent! Feel the impact of boogaly-doos as he strikes his immortal enemies! All hail Gurkathal, Duke of the Yellow Cab!

In character creation it feels much more like a random stranger answered the cry for help.
Isn't that how most heroes become heroes? Superman was just a regular guy until he changed into a costume and saved the world. Spider-Man, Batman, Cole MacGrath, and more were just regular people who decided to take action.

Dragon's Dogma and Dragon's Age are literally this. Compared to Mass Effect - Shepard was an established N7 operative - and The Elder Scrolls - seriously, can we do more than a prisoner with a grand destiny? -, you are literally, a random stranger who becomes a hero. In Dragon's Dogma, you were just a villager who decided to face a dragon so others could run. In Dragon's Age, Origins and II, you were a random person, noble or not, who ended up becoming a Grey Warden and the world's hope. Inquisition, unfortunately, will not continue this since you're an Inquisitor, meaning you're someone already feared and important compared to Hawke who was regular soldier/mage or the Arisen who was just a simple peasant.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
No what makes it interesting is that neon-green hair man could be an enemy that's just saving the day by eliminating the competition.

4. Yes kinda but i'm thinking more like the average person, no ties to a great destiny, not the chosen one, not fated for anything important.
Just happens completely at random & dropped into unknown unfamiliar events that shapes him or her into a new person.
No skills that's tailored to fit every situation on the quest ahead. No only you can beat the coming evil.
It just all depends on what the character learns on the journey.
And Good or Bad, he or she decides which choices to make.
Basically what Delsin Rowe's going to go through since Cole was forced to live through the Ray Sphere Blast of Empire City while Delsin seems like your regular guy who ends up activating his powers. Chances are, had Delsin been late to whatever caused him to gain powers, I'd bet he'd still be the hoodlum his brother loves and is ashamed about. He's an "established" character instead of a create-a-character, though.

Only Dragon's Dogma and Dragon's Age, like I said before, comes to mind as games like that where you're just a regular character. Mass Effect, The Elder Scrolls, Demon's & Dark Souls, perhaps this game since you are a mercenary people depend on, and tons of other games implies the character had some preordained fate. Assassin's Creed IV would sort fit the bill of a regular employee getting caught up since you never hear them talk, their name, or anything. It kind of does feel like you are the employee being manipulated and playing as a badass named Edward Kenway, but that's because it's intentionally using a first-person view to create this feeling; this illusion.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
If there's 3positives & 3negatives then shouldn't the overall score be 2.5 out of 5 stars?

lol That's the review system for ya.
I'll take any positive feedback I can get. It looks like this game ended up getting a lot of "not-so-good" reviews overall.

Last edited:

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
If there's 3positives & 3negatives then shouldn't the overall score be 2.5 out of 5 stars?

lol That's the review system for ya.

Who says the positives and negatives all individually have equal weight to them? Maybe they found the player's inability to shape the story a more important point than customizing your gear. I can get behind that. Besides, the good doesn't make up for the bad, and the bad doesn't necessarily spoil the good.

The game doesn't look that good, to be honest. Graphics are poor and the enemies look predictable in terms of appearance. And if they're not predictable, they just look ugly. The combat is pretty standard, even though it's said to be pretty hard. The soundtrack does sound interesting and unique, though. Crafting seems to be the most positive aspect, though I heard it's partially negated if you become evil, since the armor melts.

Last edited:

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Seemed pretty important if they listed them.

Anyway i'd still like a demo.

You misunderstand: I'm not saying the points are not important, I'm saying the points do not all have equal weight to them. One negative might cause the grade to be lowered by a whole point, while another might lower it by half a point. The same goes for the positives. It's ridiculous to say that all points of criticism are equally important: obviously, a great soundtrack is not as important as great gameplay. See my point?

Last edited:

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
I know what you're saying, i'm saying grading something that way leaves room for an unbalanced review.
A soundtrack may appeal differently to each individual, so a simple clear analysis would be suitable to judge something instead of bases for one's own tastes which is mixed in with the actual technical aspects of the game.
In other words a more technical review & less opinionated might be better.

If reviews were that technical, and were only ''simple clear analyses'', then having multiple reviewers would be useless. The whole reviewing business would be useless. There's no such thing as a balanced review. Besides, sometimes, what works and what doesn't is subjective too. Reviews should be based on taste: it helps you to decide for yourself if a game is appealing to you. That's the whole point: you should listen to different reviewers' opinions and see which reviewer sounds like he/she might resemble you in terms of taste and opinion. See various sides of the story and weigh their points against each other.
Why don't you try writing a 'balanced review'? However balanced you think it is, I will easily find multiple points I don't agree with.
And no, you didn't know what I was saying. Every time we speak, you switch to the subject of how official reviews are unbalanced. Obviously they are unbalanced by their very definition - they are reviews, not some kind of job efficiency assessment. Anyway, I'm done here.

Last edited:

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Firstly, like I said, there's no such thing as a balanced or objective review. It literally cannot exist. Secondly, these reviewers are not journalists, so why are you calling them journalists?

And wait, hold on. Now you're saying you read reviews because they are based on taste and opinion? Just now you said: In other words a more technical review & less opinionated might be better.

Also, what works and what doesn't (the technical aspects) is often subjective too, so you're deluding yourself that things can be completely objective.

''But i never buy based on others opinions''
Neither do I. Do you even read my comments, or do you just see what you want to see? This is the second time you've accused me of not using my own brain - once in a previous thread, and now here.

Furthermore, no, you didn't know what I was saying. Every time, you switch to the subject of how official reviews are unbalanced. Yes, they are unbalanced by their very definition! They are reviews, not some kind of job efficiency assessment! Besides, official reviewers are somehow wrong, and yet, you do listen to user reviews? There is no difference between them, other than the fact that users often base their reviews completely on their emotions. While I appreciate reviews because they are filled with opinions, they shouldn't drown out the objective aspects. I've seen user scores that gave games 2/10s - not helpful in any way.

Last edited:

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
I don't know much about the game's combat or plot, but this game resembles NIER with its soundtrack. Gameplay-wise, both Bound By Flame and NIER look kind of lackluster. Plot-wise, NIER is really messed up and questions morality at times, but then again, NIER was made by Cavia who is known for Drakengard and disturbing games in general. Bound By Flame is still new, so I can't say anything. Soundtrack-wise, Bound By Flame is really amazing.

It kind of reminds me of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, well, mostly Inner Universe. The singer is Iré, a Bulgarian singer and musician.

And there's this.

Here's a song from NIER.

And here's another song from NIER.

So, this might be another gem or some obscure, flawed, but great game.

The Final Offer

I've had mine since Monday and well, I can see where it would score low and why it would. The game starts off slow...real slow (for me) and the dialogue is filled with all types of humor. I actually laughed, snickered, and gasped at the things my character says to others.

I'm not entirely sure if embracing the evil side is affecting my character's personality or if it just alters my appearance. It's not like Mass effect where they hint at what the decision would do. So, let me say this, since I went evil my character has been going through a physical transformation. I'm totally cool with it too. I mean, there's the downside that I can't wear a helmet anymore but, f that noise. I look so demonic that my allies are scared of me.

Speaking of allies, man I've never seen such useless allies since Mass effect. Seriously, I take one ally because she can heal me after the battle. The others aren't really useful to me and die often. I've said some horrible things to them and tend to use their performance during combat as leverage to make decisions that are evil.

I love the words my character chooses....sometimes. It's like he understands what's going on, what he is, and what he's going to do. You can change your character's mind and I'm trying my hardest to not spoil anything for anyone here.

So far, I've ran into several weapons. Swords, Axes, Hammers, Daggers, Crossbows, and of course landmines. I favor daggers because there's a dodge button that slows the action down if you use it just before an attack lands. The reason I stay away from the two handed weapons are because they're too slow for my tastes. Again, I just came from playing Amazing Spiderman 2. The story is interesting and the music catches me off guard, one minute it's really good and then the next they're using the wrong music for the situation, at least I didn't find it suitable.

There are no air combos :(. There are no juggles :(. There are special powers you can obtain but, I'm not so sure if they're there because I'm evil or because....plot. Either way, I'm glad I ignored the reviewers and did my own thing. I'm surprised by how a low scoring game has kept my interest even with all of the flaws I've listed.

Oh and upgrades are simple and at times the game can be difficult (playing on Buffalo) for silly reasons. The camera is ok but it relies on you. So that means, cheap shots are in this game.

It's not a bad game, it's a game that does not step up to the next gen standards and that's why it's getting all the Hell it has. If you can get past graphics, load times, and what I've listed. You can find fun here and actually get buried in the lore and comedy.

I think I'm on chapter 4...not sure...been in and out because of work.

6.5/10. I'm hoping it will get better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom