• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Bioshock Infinite Review

Meg

Bioshock Infinite Review

BioShock-Infinite-main.jpg

Bioshock Infinite is a prequel to the original game. But instead of taking place in the underwater city of Rapture, it takes place in Columbia: a city in the sky. While a few mechanics have been tweaked, gameplay is largely the same. The story takes a less philosophical route this time, but is still complex and not without it’s fair share of cool plot twists.

The story kicks off with Booker DeWitt, broke and in debt, taking on a job to go to Columbia, find the girl Elizabeth, and bring her back to New York City so Booker can “wipe away his debt.” Like in the original Bioshock, we’re given a chance right in the beginning of the game to get a good outside look at the city before we enter it. The graphics in this game are great and the environments beautiful. While nowhere near as atmospheric as the first Bioshock’s Rapture, Columbia is still an interesting city to explore. The bright colors and residents going about their daily business not only pull you in, but make the city feel alive.

1307743370bioshock-infinite-screen-4.jpg

The game starts slow but quickly picks up once you realize Columbia is full of racists, overly religious assholes. The leader of Columbia, Comstock, calls himself a prophet and the residents of Columbia worship him like a god.

After a couple of hours you find Elizabeth, a young woman locked up in a tower. While the story is the star of the game, Elizabeth is the star of the story. Sure, Booker is the main character, but he is quickly dismissible as just another rough, rugged video game hero. Elizabeth is a fully realized, fleshed out character. I really felt for her through out the plot and was heartbroken by some of the things she had to go through. Her character arch is very well done. Plus, the exceptional voice acting really brings her character to life. In fact, all the characters have great voice acting.

BioshockInfinite1.jpg

Overall, everything about the presentation of the game, from the story, the characters, setting, and dialogue, is well thought out and polished. The gameplay on the hand, is a bit lacking. Like the original Bioshock, you use guns and magic. (This time called vigors.) The shooting mechanics aren’t bad, but don’t hold up compared to other games in the FPS genre. The enemy AI is pretty bad as well. If enemies aren’t standing out in the open, they are running right toward you despite the fire you are flinging from your hands at them. The gun aiming isn’t as good as it could be either, but don’t get me wrong.

Nothing about the gameplay is bad; it just isn’t as good as it could be. But it’s okay because the emphasis is on story and setting, and that’s what you really should be playing this game for. Honestly, if you are looking at this game because you just want another FPS to divide into, tread carefully. Combining vigors is a lot of fun, and each gun feels satisfying to use (even if some are rather similar), but the gameplay just doesn’t perform as well as other shooters. The game is also easy as heck on Normal, and not that much worse on Hard.

bioshock-infinite-graphics-options2.jpg

One thing that annoyed me about the first game was the backtracking, and I’m sorry to say, it makes a return here. I don’t understand why the player is expected to run through an area only to fetch something, only to have to run back the way you came, sometimes without any more enemies to fight. Yes, the locations are nice, but it gets tiring having to run through the same ones over and over again. And having to run back into the action, across the same empty areas, every time you die is just boring as hell.

In fact, one thing I noticed right away is that even though Columbia feels like a real city, it isn’t nearly as interesting as Rapture. In the first Bioshock, Rapture pulled you in with its great atmosphere and the story gave you some really great moments in different locations. Infinite doesn’t really give me any reason to care about the particular area I’m in at the time. One area could easily be substituted for another and it would feel pretty much the same.

It’s hard to say which story is better, the original Bioshock’s or this new one’s. Both are expertly crafted with mind-blowing twists, but they both take different approaches. In the original game, the major plot twist came about two-thirds of the way through, and after that, the story crashed hard. There was nothing else to add, but there were still a third left to the game, making the final moments feel more like a chore than a pulse-pounding experience.

BioshockInfinite_HandymanFeaturette_Online.jpg

In Infinite, the major plot twist doesn’t come until the very end: after the final showdown. And it’s crazy. However, the twist can be hard to take in because after the final showdown is when all your questions are answered in quick succession. It can be overwhelming.

I can’t say which story I prefer. Bioshock’s story had a powerful point behind its plot and the surprises it dishes out, Infinite’s is just really cool. Both are well crafted and keep you engrossed through out.

While not as good as the hype built it up to be, Bioshock Infinite is still a great game, and it’s story a triumphant achievement. Honestly, play the game for it’s story, setting, and characters. Play it for Elizabeth and for the same man and woman that keep appearing for no apparent reason. (Hint: There is a reason, and it’s awesome.) The gameplay, while fun, does take the back seat here. But that’s okay, because the rest of the game is that good.

Overall:

Pros:
- Excellent, interesting story
- Realistic characters
- Great voice acting
- Cool locations
-Vigors are fun to experiment with

Cons:
- Gameplay could be better
- Backtracking
- Setting way less memorable than Rapture
- Ending can be confusing

Buy, Rent, or Pass?
If you are looking for a great story and don’t mind the gameplay not being as strong as it could, then you need to buy this game. Even if you are more interested in gameplay, I would still strongly recommend trying this game out: even if you rent first and then buy it.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I really thought this game would be pretty good since I enjoyed the first 7 hours of it, but as I kept playing I got bored of it and haven't touched it since. Damn shame.

Meg

I really thought this game would be pretty good since I enjoyed the first 7 hours of it, but as I kept playing I got bored of it and haven't touched it since. Damn shame.
First 7 hours? The game is only about ten hours long. :p

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Thought I'd add my random points here if that's ok:

My only major complaint with the game was the final fight. It just seemed out of place....and could be frustrating at times.

While I really loved Columbia, and while it felt like an actualised world, there's something about the darkness of Rapture that I miss.

Rosalind and Robert Lutece were really good for secondary characters, and I had a good giggle at the dialogue exchanges between them. But also, their story was quite tragic in a way.

There were a few plot holes, but on the whole the plot was really good, even if the ending was a little bit of a sudden smack in the face revelation.

Also, I wish there was more of the songbird.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I haven't played Infinite yet but I am interested. I like the first sequel to System Shock 2, hated the 2nd and stopped caring overall. But I hear Infinite is interesting to maybe make me care about it again so I will probably borrow it from a friend. System Shock 3 should have never gotten a sequel that was Bioshock 2. Making a sequel to Bioshock is going the way of Infinite so let's pretend 2 doesn't exist. I noticed that the horror elements are kind of gone though.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Havent read many comments as I dont want it spoiled but I love the game, havent put it down since I got it (besides yesterday as didnt have time to play it) & it has quickly shot up my favourite games list the more ive played it. They know how to invest people in worlds, stories & atmosphere & I think the gameplay is great. Controls well, great soundtrack, everything runs smoothly, weapons & Vigours are fun to use & they know what their strong points are & exploit them. Elizabeth is a joy to have around & been some time since ive said that about an AI partner but for the first time im happy she is there to help. Cant wait to get back to it & carry on seeing the story unfold.

Reactions: Meg
Top Bottom