• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Best Current Gen RPG

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
I wanted to find out what projectego popular opinion thought the best RPG on a currentgen console or PC was. I don't mean pure RPG, I mean any RPG.
Action, free-roaming, linear, MMO, doesn't matter. Just to be clear, it must be available for the XBOX 360, PlayStation 3, or Wii.
Being backwards compatible does not count; however a game that was re-released on disc format (not through a game marketplace) qualifies.
Nobody cares if you think Final Fantasy 7 is the greatest of all time, since they don't even make the console that runs it anymore. we're keeping this poll modern ladies and gents.

Mass Effect? Elder Scrolls? Fallout? Final Fantasy? Fable? Dragon Age? World of Warcraft?

throw nominees in here and we can make a poll for the definitive answer a week from now (Monday, April 11th).

Happy Nominating!

aka958

Don't trust people
But what about handhelds? Current gen handhelds?

Since I'd like to put Final Fantasy I, II, Crisis Core, and the two Dissidia games in there along with Final Fantasy XIII.

Osaka

trollololol
I'm going to have to say Mass Effect 2. Could say for the story or graphics or maybe the combat system, but I like it 'cause of the characters, especially Garrus and Tali.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
But what about handhelds? Current gen handhelds?

Since I'd like to put Final Fantasy I, II, Crisis Core, and the two Dissidia games in there along with Final Fantasy XIII.

Those are fighting games dawg.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
just to clarify, Esura is right. although it features characters from RPGs dissidia does not qualify, just as Super Smash Bros. would not qualify for including characters from Fire Emblem or Pokémon.

though i had not considered it, portable consoles are still consoles. as such titles for the Nintendo DS (any generation as the game format remains mostly unchanged) and Sony PSP.
just make sure you're nominating what you think deserves to win! :)

P.S. disregard that projectego in the original post, folks. i'm running the same contest simultaneously on projectego.net and like a prosecuted STD clinic did not read through it thoroughly. my bad! don't sue!

aka958

Don't trust people
just to clarify, Esura is right. although it features characters from RPGs dissidia does not qualify, just as Super Smash Bros. would not qualify for including characters from Fire Emblem or Pokémon.

though i had not considered it, portable consoles are still consoles. as such titles for the Nintendo DS (any generation as the game format remains mostly unchanged) and Sony PSP.
just make sure you're nominating what you think deserves to win! :)

P.S. disregard that projectego in the original post, folks. i'm running the same contest simultaneously on projectego.net and like a prosecuted STD clinic did not read through it thoroughly. my bad! don't sue!

I thought you said: don't mean pure RPG, I mean any RPG.

Since it is fighting games with heavy RPG elements, they are more of RPG's than what they are fighting games. As you gain levels, you gain equips, customize your characters even more than you do in most RPG's. It has more variety in customization than FFXIII. Isn't that an RPG? Any RPG, but you close out hybrids even though you said they didn't have to be pure RPG's? ._.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium

Since it is fighting games with heavy RPG elements, they are more of RPG's than what they are fighting games. As you gain levels, you gain equips, customize your characters even more than you do in most RPG's. It has more variety in customization than FFXIII. Isn't that an RPG? Any RPG, but you close out hybrids even though you said they didn't have to be pure RPG's? ._.
whoa whoa! calm your noggin. i've never played dissidia to be honest, don't even own a PSP. i was under the assumption that it was more or less just a mash-up fighting game like any other. i did some reading and cool your jets, it's added to the list :eek:

Esura

Unlike cheez, I have played Dissidia....and its a fighting game with some RPG elements. If you include Dissidia, you are pretty much opening the door for other fighters like Soul Calibur, Battle Fantasia, and Mortal Kombat which have some RPG elements. Dissidia is first and foremost a fighting game and was designed as such.

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
I also liked Final Fantasy XIV online and XIII also two dissidia games. I own PSP but this is in repair, themed after dissidia silver color with Cosmos and Chaos. Also I played Demon Souls and i wait for TES V: Skyrim

Meg

Oh easily The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for PS3 and Persona 3 Portable for PSP. :)

aka958

Don't trust people
whoa whoa! calm your noggin. i've never played dissidia to be honest, don't even own a PSP. i was under the assumption that it was more or less just a mash-up fighting game like any other. i did some reading and cool your jets, it's added to the list :eek:

Jeez Cheez. I was just explaining, I couldn't find any other words for it. Sorry for taking it so harsh. >.<

And boi's, don't scare me with notifications like that. ._.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
i'm going to put forth my nomination since we've all had the chance to throw some ideas around. i'm very pleased with the nominations so far... everything i would have hoped you all to think of and more has been mentioned, so keep 'em coming if something strikes your fancy!

that said, i'm going to throw Fallout 3 onto the list - a worthy candidate by any standard. ^_^

Unlike cheez, I have played Dissidia....and its a fighting game with some RPG elements. If you include Dissidia, you are pretty much opening the door for other fighters like Soul Calibur, Battle Fantasia, and Mortal Kombat which have some RPG elements. Dissidia is first and foremost a fighting game and was designed as such.
Jeez Cheez. I was just explaining, I couldn't find any other words for it. Sorry for taking it so harsh. >.<

And boi's, don't scare me with notifications like that. ._.
despite however small the RPG elements are, drawing a line on this one is risky business, because where does it end? does mass effect have enough RPG elements to qualify? it's just way too subjective.
that said, the best game will be decided by popular vote. i'd be surprised of a handheld game won to be honest...but you never know!

Even easier....Elder scrolls 5 : Skyrim

Even with just footage and two trailers, I consider it best this Gen RPG....
:lol:
i will draw a line here. games that presently exist is a necessary condition.
though when it's released, i think along with mass effect 3 we may have two of the greatest RPGs ever made. it'll definitely make it interesting if i decide to do this again!
EASY, Fable II
(is that okay?)
absolutely :D

Esura

despite however small the RPG elements are, drawing a line on this one is risky business, because where does it end? does mass effect have enough RPG elements to qualify? it's just way too subjective.
that said, the best game will be decided by popular vote. i'd be surprised of a handheld game won to be honest...but you never know!
People here know how I feel about Mass Effect 2 and its status as an RPG but I don't want to start a flame war.

That said, Dissidia is advertised as a fighting game more, or a fighting RPG game or whatever, the fighting element is still the most important element.

Also, I like handheld RPGs to be honest...TWEWY and Contact was some good stuff. Still can't replicate console RPGs quality imo, but with the 3DS and PSP2 handheld RPGs have the chance to though.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
People here know how I feel about Mass Effect 2 and its status as an RPG but I don't want to start a flame war.
again, proving how subjective making such a call can be. your definition of an RPG =/= my definition of an RPG =/= someone elses. you may prefer JRPGs, i prefer western, etc etc etc etc.
how many RPG elements are in mass effect its self is subjective, because you can choose to not mine minerals and play as a strictly soldier class which cuts out the RPG elements almost completely (though it'll completely devastate your team in the final mission), or you can go with a highly biotic class, mine the hell out of the universe, do every side quest (or mission if you wanna get technical), and subsequently get rich.
i'd call it a game with RPG content varying from player to player - tailoring its self to whatever your playing preferences may be while rewarding those who take the time to explore the universe in its entirety.

is it capable of being 100% RPG? no. but it only varies from games like fallout in having a more linear approach to plot and gameplay, while giving the player the ability to free-roam within the constraints of worlds with missions available and cities. even if it does not meet your standards for what defines an RPG (which i'm a little curious as to why it does not, if it can be civil :p ) the difference that stands between ME and the other shooting game juggernauts (i.e. Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty) make some pretty clear-cut differences if you ask me.

Still can't replicate console RPGs quality imo, but with the 3DS and PSP2 handheld RPGs have the chance to though.
i agree. even if a worthy contender were to be released on a hand-held, i would feel like it's a waste... there are so many more resources that could have done nothing but improve it if nintendo/sony had decided to put it on the console instead.
though quite a few here seem to think otherwise, so we'll see....

Top Bottom