• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Beowulf WIP

V

Oldschool DMC fan
This is my little pet project this month... for a bit of R & R.

I thought I'd post in stages, in its own thread so the development can be seen.

Okay, so nobody out there has even made a Beowulf statue or figure that I have seen - Capcom hasn't, unless I missed it. So I decided to make my own. At ten inches, this will be pretty big. I'm using the Note of Naught, Youtube and some game shots for reference, although I'm not sure I'm going to make him strictly identical to the game.

Stage one is to R&D. I make profile, frontal and pose studies to scale to work from. At this point I am not sure what the final pose is gonna be. Apologies for the crappy light in the photographs, my camera doesn't like my desk lamp.

beo1.jpg

beo2.jpg

Then I started on the armature this evening. I didn't photograph the armature on its own, but it's made of double brass tubing, reinforced with epoxy resin and brass wire. To start with I am only making the armature for the body, upper arms and upper legs. It will be easier to make the forearms, head, tail, wings and lower legs separately and fix them on later.

beo3.jpg

His armature fits inside of the profile/frontal drawing dimensions, which is a good sign.

beo4.jpg

I am not totally sure how this one will turn out, but I have some new micro sculpting tools that should come in handy and I'd like to test them out on this.

Btw, this guy is totally Pazuzu.

More to come soon =3

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
Very cool! The sketches are amazing! I'm looking forward to seeing this progress.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Thanks guys. :3

Wondering of ways to make this one a more interesting sculpture as well I've decided to lay channels in the arms, which I can fill with luminous white polymer clay (a new kind of FIMO I discovered 8D!) Which should appear white in bright daylight but can be charged to glow under UV or in the dark using my UV lamp or ordinary sunlight. I gotta test this clay anyway as I've never used it before for an actual sculpt, and it could work well on the wings. I guess it's one way of making those veins of light he's got running up his knuckles and forearms/wings, and if it doesn't work well I can always paint over them anyway.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Underlying torso muscles/ridges. Will be covered with 'skin' and will not stick out like this in the final thing.

beo5.jpg

Added 'intercostals'. Lol. If that's what they are.
beo6.jpg

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Thank you VB =)

To be honest, working from Youtube and even the book is hard because nobody has bothered rendering Beowulf's body properly. If you watch screenshots you can just about make out most of the segments, but they blur further down and about 1/3 up in the game skin and I think they're supposed to be covered with hair. I have a way of making it look like it'll have hair on it, but still, I'm not gonna worry too much about total accuracy, or I'll get a forehead vein.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Moar muscles. He still fits within the drawings, which is good. I've noticed the clay is heavy stuff once cured, he is getting heavier, so I'm glad I used a light internal armature (even though it caused problems for the arms during baking). On the plus side the clay is as strong as hard vinyl.

beo9.jpg

This is still not the final look. He will be smoother than this by the end.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
=)

He's not going too badly... I expected more screw-ups with this clay and with his form but so far he is going OK

Currently still toothless and hornless
beo11.jpg

Face is still rough, needs more flesh adding and sanding... that different coloured clay is a mock-up of a skull underneath that I add the grey stuff on top of.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Wow, i love his shiny eye. You know what the weirdest thing is, without teeth, he looks cute.

Do you know how tall he will be when you're finished?

V

Oldschool DMC fan
(I could paint his eye pink later if it looks better but for now I just used a red metallic effect glass nugget.)

I think Beowulf looks cute anyway. He's like an overgrown, hoary, plushy lion-thing. ;)

He will be 10 inches tall exactly when finished.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
10 inches... *runs off to find a tape measure* about the size of the Vergil Statue then.

I felt sorry for beowulf when Dante slashed his eye. Also, i never thought of him as a lion-thingy... but i can see what you mean.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Aaaaaww, he's adorable. X3 *completely agrees that without teeth he looks cute**usually thinks he looks grumpy* Out of curiousity, do you sell these statues? *curious*

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
Wow, just Wow and i think his eye looks perfect, it did have a bit of a glow to it so the metatalic is perfectly suited

rep to you Lexy(I just wish i could give more!)

V

Oldschool DMC fan
VB - I think he is based on Pazuzu, a demon from Babylon. I Wiki'd it and there is a statue of it in the image there. Doesn't look a whole lot like Beowulf but you can see where they got most of his anatomy from in the design. It's also in the Exorcist or the Exorcist sequel I think XD

Shadow - He is NOT supposed to be adorable, but terrifying. ;) I noticed all Beowulf does in the game is talk to himself. Not once does he listen to Dante, but basically has this crazy monologue with himself about Sparda right up until he gets himself iced by Vergil. Been down in that tower a bit long, methinks.

I do sell sculptures (and take commissions), yea. This will be the first time ever I have made a DMC one, though.

Thanks Spawnshooter =D

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
I think i've heard of Pazuzu before.
I should imagine that you have alot of patience and a pair of steady hands.
Is is horn made out of clay too?

Top Bottom