• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Be honest...

Status
Not open for further replies.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
We've had Sparda's sons, and Nero who is also some relation to Sparda... and now we're going back to Dante's past in the next game apparently. I expect the franchise - as long as it continues to follow some form of canon related to the original story and backstory - will explore all avenues eventually.

Perhaps they will bring in a daughter of Sparda at some point, or some female main character in a future DMC title. Bayonetta was quite successful, and to me it feels very much like a 'sister game' to DMC.

So how would you feel about DMC having a female lead? Or about Sparda having any daughters or any women being out there in the DMCverse with Sparda's blood in them? Good idea? Bad idea? Natural next step for the series in appealing to more fans? Or should we stick with Dante? Males/Sparda sons only?

(I'm betting it would be a hit in Japan, given the amount of gender-bendered Dante pictures I've seen floating around on the net.)

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
Well there are plenty of females to choose from who have all earned a rightful place as playable characters if they decided to take it in that direction.

Lucia
Trish
Lady

I think unless they are planning to conclude some massive part of the overall story they shouldn't feel obligated to keep Dante in the main character chair. DMC4 felt fresh because they introduced a totally new character and did it quite well I must say.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
as long as the gameplay is fun and the story is well catered to i'll be happy.

regarding the female main character: i'd like nothing more than for DmC to give it a go and completely blow bayonetta out of the water.

Dante'sgirl

Forever For Dante
Well...this will be a completely different DMC and I think im gonna like this change...A female protagonist 'with Sparda's blood' this is a great idea Lexy!!

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Sparda having a daughter. not only do i like the idea i've actually used it before ( one of the secondary charicters in a game i came up with where sparda is the main charicter.)

the main charicter for one of the games being female. sounds interesting but it is unlikely to happen and could make it seem alot like bayonetta

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Who cares if it's similar to Bayonetta? Same person who made DMC made it, after all.

Female lead would be nice. I'd like to play as Lucia again. Her fighting style was a nice break from Dante's.

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
I think a 'Daughter of Sparda' would be awful - I've just read so many things/fan fics about this happening that to be it's become cliche and a bit boring. I wouldn't mind a more prominent role for a female of some sort though.

Ooooh instead of the Devil Bringer we could have the Devil Boobs! That game would definatley sell!

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
Storm Silves;280254 said:
Who cares if it's similar to Bayonetta? Same person who made DMC made it, after all.

Female lead would be nice. I'd like to play as Lucia again. Her fighting style was a nice break from Dante's.

personally i'd be happier if it was extremely different from bayonetta. i'm getting more and more tired of seeing female characters who wear revealing clothing, are either perfectly or overly proportioned, and carry a sexy voice.

i'd be happier if the main character was more of a rough tooth and nail type female character. much like Jack from Mass Effect 2. if DmC could establish a character like that, it could prove to be a landmark moment in video game history.

moseslmpg

A female lead would be very good actually, if it was done right. I don't know if they would have to have Sparda's blood in them, but I'm sure Capcom could finagle something like they did with Nero. Although I really don't want her to be a daughter or niece or test tube baby of Sparda. There are other families in the world in the world than Sparda's, and all these children just makes him look like a huge manwhore.

I think have a female lead or extra protagonist, as in a partner with their own story and motivations, and having a female (demonic) villain would be excellent. And in fact, I have been working on both of these things, in a way that would fit into the actual games themselves, and I think it would work.

I believe that this is a natural response to the general sausagefest nature of DMC, and it is well represented in the tons of fanfics with girls as lead characters. I feel as if DMC acknowledges in some sense the power of women, but only unconsciously, and that the eventual apocalypse of the feminine is imminent (or would be in a perfect world).

The problem would be in making her a strong lead character without caricaturizing or stereotyping her femininity (for instance, with Devil Boobs) or masculinizing and badassifying her to the point where we might as well just stick a penis on there and get it over with, while still acknowledging the ways in which it sets her apart from a female antagonist. I think this is possible, especially through psychological issues like the twins have with their mother, but I don't know if it is practically feasible for the simple fact that so many game designers are male and just don't understand women in themselves. A significant amount of women don't either...but that's just a guess since I'm not a woman...

The real issue here is what does it mean to be the hero, what does it mean to be a woman, and thus, what does it mean to be a heroine?

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
moseslmpg;280280 said:
A female lead would be very good actually, if it was done right. I don't know if they would have to have Sparda's blood in them, but I'm sure Capcom could finagle something like they did with Nero. Although I really don't want her to be a daughter or niece or test tube baby of Sparda. There are other families in the world in the world than Sparda's, and all these children just makes him look like a huge manwhore.
agreed. and honestly i'd like to see the strong female lead maybe being outside of sparda's bloodline. that would establish more "natural strength" to her character rather than what she inherited from her demon father.
hell, make her hell bent on destroying the sparda bloodline through some misconception. fighting against the undefeated protagonists of DMC and holding her own? that would definitely convey to players that she's just as strong as the guys.

moseslmpg;280280 said:
I think have a female lead or extra protagonist, as in a partner with their own story and motivations, and having a female (demonic) villain would be excellent. And in fact, I have been working on both of these things, in a way that would fit into the actual games themselves, and I think it would work.
working on in what sense?
like a fan fiction?
:)

moseslmpg;280280 said:
I believe that this is a natural response to the general sausagefest nature of DMC, and it is well represented in the tons of fanfics with girls as lead characters. I feel as if DMC acknowledges in some sense the power of women, but only unconsciously, and that the eventual apocalypse of the feminine is imminent (or would be in a perfect world).
:lol:
very, very, subconsciously. DMC is probably among the worst of them when it comes to the caricaturization of women. all hack 'n' slashers are, it's almost part of the genre. god of war has sex mini games, ninja gaiden has that one female fighter (in a borderline BDSM outfit) who just happens to get covered in fiend goo. remember that scene in DMC 4 just outside the castle where nero encounters trish in disguise? it probably holds some sort of record for unnecessary upskirt shots.

but all that just further underlines how groundbreaking it could be if they could design a strong and independent female character for a change.

moseslmpg;280280 said:
The problem would be in making her a strong lead character without caricaturizing or stereotyping her femininity (for instance, with Devil Boobs) or masculinizing and badassifying her to the point where we might as well just stick a penis on there and get it over with, while still acknowledging the ways in which it sets her apart from a female antagonist. I think this is possible, especially through psychological issues like the twins have with their mother, but I don't know if it is practically feasible for the simple fact that so many game designers are male and just don't understand women in themselves. A significant amount of women don't either...but that's just a guess since I'm not a woman...
yeah... it's an unfortunate trend with game designers. explains a lot about video games and their various trends now that you mention it. :lol:

moseslmpg;280280 said:
The real issue here is what does it mean to be the hero, what does it mean to be a woman, and thus, what does it mean to be a heroine?

i realize that was probably rhetorical, but i liked the question so i thought i'd humor it.

overall, it's definitely a tough question to answer. a male hero can just be given a short temper, excessive muscles, and a marcus fenix voice. female is definitely harder to do from a design perspective.

strength has to be conveyed through appearance and attitude rather than muscle size. it's harder to make a typical female voice sound as intimidating, the best way is to make speech sound more monotone, followed by rage. none of that high pitched always happy stereotyped bull****.

skimpy clothing can be used, but there should be something to balance with that so it doesn't look like the next hentai star. tattoos, weapon harnesses, military boots, short hair, anything to make her seem more full of grit.

lastly, the mentality. the biggest mistake made when designing female characters is to make them naive. they are easier used as plot devices that way (getting kidnapped, wandering into trouble, being murdered, etc.). the better solution would be to make her a pessimist. someone who not only knows the cruelty of the world, but lives with it. i can't stress how important i think this is. make it extreme to the point where she's a sociopath if you have to.

that all rolled up into one would be a female heroine that i would follow.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
:O I thought Nero WAS the female lead?
*is shot* >XD

On a serious note, I wouldn't want a female lead. Lucia was pretty much the 'lead' in DMC2 and I think it was one of the reasons why the game failed to appeal to a wider audience. Even if they dish up some hot decadent chic with direct connections to Sparda himself, I don't think it will work. Well, I know I definitely wouldn't buy it or have any interest in playing it. This might be the influx and over-abundance of 'daughters of Sparda' in fanfiction that have butchered my viewpoint on female leads, and I sincerely hope Capcom never throw that kind of crap in our faces.

All that and 'son of Sparda' sounds way better than 'daughter of Sparda'. It doesn't have a nice ring to it at all. I actually want to...

Anyway, I'd prefer Capcom to keep Dante as the lead for as long as they can. And if they REALLY no longer can, then Nero would be the next step up. Or Vergil. Depending where in the timeline this would occur.

-edit-
just makes him look like a huge manwhore.
Well Dante is a manwhore, so why not Sparda too? ;)

moseslmpg

cheezMcNASTY;280287 said:
working on in what sense?
like a fan fiction?
:)
Well, yes, but everyone has their own don't they? And everyone thinks their fanfiction is special. Although, I am more of a consultant in this case, and I honestly believe it could work in a game rather than just as fantasy wish fulfillment for fans.
:lol:
very, very, subconsciously. DMC is probably among the worst of them when it comes to the caricaturization of women. all hack 'n' slashers are, it's almost part of the genre. god of war has sex mini games, ninja gaiden has that one female fighter (in a borderline BDSM outfit) who just happens to get covered in fiend goo. remember that scene in DMC 4 just outside the castle where nero encounters trish in disguise? it probably holds some sort of record for unnecessary upskirt shots.
Well, until DMC4, the series wasn't misogynistic, but it certainly did sidestep the issue of the feminine. What is significant about DMC is not that it simply neglects it, but that the whole basis of the series revolves around the Feminine, i.e. Eva, and yet all of the action is focused on the men that she inspired. If I were inclined, and I am, I would say that this illustrates something about the nature of the feminine in the psyche and cosmology of the DMC world. But I don't want to digress. All of the other games simply have the macho, boobs, guns, and explosion aesthetic that action fans have come to expect, all driven by pure testosterone, whereas DMC seems to have some of that on the surface, but it is all driven by a deep appreciation of the unconscious feminine principle.
i realize that was probably rhetorical, but i liked the question so i thought i'd humor it.

overall, it's definitely a tough question to answer. a male hero can just be given a short temper, excessive muscles, and a marcus fenix voice. female is definitely harder to do from a design perspective.

strength has to be conveyed through appearance and attitude rather than muscle size. it's harder to make a typical female voice sound as intimidating, the best way is to make speech sound more monotone, followed by rage. none of that high pitched always happy stereotyped bull****.
It wasn't rhetorical. I am genuinely interested in an answer, but I don't necessarily expect a satisfying one, especially not from males.

My question was more of a mythological one than one of modern videogame culture. What I mean is what is it that makes one a hero, what does being a hero entail? It certainly isn't big muscles and a deep voice. There is the notion of the hero's journey, but it seems to me that it is very masculine, since of course, almost all heroes in ancient times were male and society was patriarchal. This can be seen in the fact that we have a separate word for female heroes. What we need to know is what the heroine's journey entails, and how the destinations and characters differ from the male hero's journey. It would be an interesting study, I'm sure. Unfortunately, I am at somewhat of a disadvantage in understanding, owing to the fact that I am not a female.
skimpy clothing can be used, but there should be something to balance with that so it doesn't look like the next hentai star. tattoos, weapon harnesses, military boots, short hair, anything to make her seem more full of grit.
Why not just slap a penis on there as well? Giving her all those "gritty" characteristics could be seen as one step short of masculinizing he completely. I think this is a mistake, as it effectively removes any sense of female power by implying that all power is male and that women can only become powerful by partaking in that masculine essence. Kamiya had the right idea with Bayonetta, although he obviously didn't pull it off well. What you have to do is determine where the locus of feminine power resides, both archetypally and in relation to specific cultures. I don't know if you've noticed, but most cultures treat women as especially sacred, and a few even fear her occult power and acknowledge this fear as the utmost wisdom (I'm thinking of Kali). They certainly have something beyond the ken of mankind, which is represented physically through menstruation, childbirth, breastfeeding, etc.
lastly, the mentality. the biggest mistake made when designing female characters is to make them naive. they are easier used as plot devices that way (getting kidnapped, wandering into trouble, being murdered, etc.). the better solution would be to make her a pessimist. someone who not only knows the cruelty of the world, but lives with it. i can't stress how important i think this is. make it extreme to the point where she's a sociopath if you have to.
Well, characters start off as naive and end up as wise. That is a very basic structure of the journey. But yes, I see your point and I do agree somewhat. I don't think making her a pessimist would be necessary, as personality is irrelevant to the identity of a hero, though some nobility would be nice. Making someone a sociopath is also a very bad idea, because it instantly makes them impossible to relate to and repulsive to all normal people.

---------------------------------

Master Vergil;280312 said:
On a serious note, I wouldn't want a female lead. Lucia was pretty much the 'lead' in DMC2 and I think it was one of the reasons why the game failed to appeal to a wider audience. Even if they dish up some hot decadent chic with direct connections to Sparda himself, I don't think it will work. Well, I know I definitely wouldn't buy it or have any interest in playing it. This might be the influx and over-abundance of 'daughters of Sparda' in fanfiction that have butchered my viewpoint on female leads, and I sincerely hope Capcom never throw that kind of crap in our faces.
Nah, Lucia wasn't a lead, she was a gimped sidekick who got her own disc. Lady is probably the closest we have come to a lead, but even her story was tangential. Actually, I think you'll find a lot of people actually liked Lucia's gameplay and at least the idea of Lucia, if not her execution (her voice...she sounded like a deaf Dutch person).

I think you may have been tainted by the daughters of Sparda in fanfics because they tend to be Mary Sue-ish wish fulfillment characters rather than ones that fit into the actual story. But the way I see it, if they can dump Nero in our laps, they can certainly give him a sex change with little complaint from me.
All that and 'son of Sparda' sounds way better than 'daughter of Sparda'. It doesn't have a nice ring to it at all. I actually want to...

Anyway, I'd prefer Capcom to keep Dante as the lead for as long as they can. And if they REALLY no longer can, then Nero would be the next step up. Or Vergil. Depending where in the timeline this would occur.
Forgive my presumption, but I did consider this attitude as well, and I think part of your distaste for the idea could be rooted in yor projection of yourself onto the game itself, in a similar manner to the literal projection of fangirls in stories by self-insertion/MarySueism. In some sense, it is a kind of jealousy or sense of competition perhaps, similar to the one that gives rise to the creation of Yaoi. Of course this is just my opinion, but I think it is well founded. And as always, no offense.
-edit-

Well Dante is a manwhore, so why not Sparda too? ;)
I like to think Sparda had some scruples. I just find it more noble than him being a cast member of Jersey shore or something.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
LOL. Not THAT well founded. I've got a major crush on Dante (which is also why I easily accepted the new version of him NT is putting out), in the sense that I'm very fond of his character - the personality they've put together for us, mostly. The appearance comes second, although it is the blonde hair and blue eyes that had me attracted to the series in the first place. I'm a really big fan of Dante's character. It's got nothing to do with self-insertion (I don't really get what you meant by that anyway) or jealousy (...of what?) or competition (which if it were, I wouldn't even want Vergil to take over the lead and I'd probably swear to never look at DMC again if they cut Dante out of the role). It's just, Dante's been the main lead for so long, anyone else just wouldn't be on par with him or be able to replace him.

And the reason why I contest the idea of a female lead is that the gore and violence will be cut down. It HAS to be cut down, because logically, women aren't as strong and resilient as men are. Not even 'a daughter of Sparda'. If you replace the Dante in the trailer with a girl, it would evoke emotions like pity and horror and what did she do to deserve such torture? But since it's a guy, instead you feel like you want to jump behind the controls and yank those chains out of the walls and whip them across the room to smash the window in and do some real mean damage to the assholes who have been interrogating him.

Female leads don't belong where male leads are established. That's my take on it anyway.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
moseslmpg;280329 said:
Well, until DMC4, the series wasn't misogynistic, but it certainly did sidestep the issue of the feminine. What is significant about DMC is not that it simply neglects it, but that the whole basis of the series revolves around the Feminine, i.e. Eva, and yet all of the action is focused on the men that she inspired. If I were inclined, and I am, I would say that this illustrates something about the nature of the feminine in the psyche and cosmology of the DMC world. But I don't want to digress. All of the other games simply have the macho, boobs, guns, and explosion aesthetic that action fans have come to expect, all driven by pure testosterone, whereas DMC seems to have some of that on the surface, but it is all driven by a deep appreciation of the unconscious feminine principle.
that's an extremely deep analasys of the story - one that would no doubt be overlooked by the testosterone junkies with double digit IQ's. i agree with it as well. always reminded me of the myth of hercules. god mates with mortal, and while all strength and divinity comes from the god... it's the mortal that really defines who the demigod children are as people. gives them their sense of identity.

moseslmpg;280329 said:
It wasn't rhetorical. I am genuinely interested in an answer, but I don't necessarily expect a satisfying one, especially not from males.
that's rather presumptuous, but i'm going to look at it as a challenge. i just hope that i don't discourage any female members here from answering.

moseslmpg;280329 said:
My question was more of a mythological one than one of modern videogame culture. What I mean is what is it that makes one a hero, what does being a hero entail? It certainly isn't big muscles and a deep voice. There is the notion of the hero's journey, but it seems to me that it is very masculine, since of course, almost all heroes in ancient times were male and society was patriarchal. This can be seen in the fact that we have a separate word for female heroes. What we need to know is what the heroine's journey entails, and how the destinations and characters differ from the male hero's journey. It would be an interesting study, I'm sure. Unfortunately, I am at somewhat of a disadvantage in understanding, owing to the fact that I am not a female.
well, i'm of the opinion that the role of hero was classically created for males. it's the role of someone who is capable of protecting and providing in a grander sense than a family. in more ancient tales, heroes were selfish. each, while performing deeds for their countries, were mostly on personal missions with little regard for the greater good. in a more modern sense, it is the opposite. superheroes seem to be regularly expected to cast aside trivial personal matters and serve the greater good first and foremost. that is why it's difficult to put a female into such a role. i challenge anyone here to come up with a female superhero who doesn't stereotype women (wonder woman... while she wears practically nothing she's butch and tough), and doesn't conform to the masculine hero standard.

moseslmpg;280329 said:
Why not just slap a penis on there as well? Giving her all those "gritty" characteristics could be seen as one step short of masculinizing he completely. I think this is a mistake, as it effectively removes any sense of female power by implying that all power is male and that women can only become powerful by partaking in that masculine essence. Kamiya had the right idea with Bayonetta, although he obviously didn't pull it off well. What you have to do is determine where the locus of feminine power resides, both archetypally and in relation to specific cultures. I don't know if you've noticed, but most cultures treat women as especially sacred, and a few even fear her occult power and acknowledge this fear as the utmost wisdom (I'm thinking of Kali). They certainly have something beyond the ken of mankind, which is represented physically through menstruation, childbirth, breastfeeding, etc.
i didn't mean all of those characteristics be applied. also, keep in mind that i drew up that description with the least amount of female stereotyping that i possibly could. i got it by taking a prominent and strong female character who i admire: Revi (Black Lagoon). she may be less than heroic in terms of morals, but in the show she's always the one who saves the day... so i guess she's a loose fit for the modern hero i mentioned above. part of what makes her so great is the fact that she is full of grit. she definitely doesn't conform to strength in the masculine sense, yet manages to remain probably the most terrifying force in the show. she was specifically designed to be the opposite of the traditional japanese woman. where the traditional woman would be soft spoken, polite, and dressed to be mostly covered; Revi wears whatever she wants, has tattoos, smokes, and is rowdy in every sense. that's what i'd look for in a female protagonist, but maybe some of the girls on here will disagree with me. :)

moseslmpg;280329 said:
Well, characters start off as naive and end up as wise. That is a very basic structure of the journey. But yes, I see your point and I do agree somewhat. I don't think making her a pessimist would be necessary, as personality is irrelevant to the identity of a hero, though some nobility would be nice. Making someone a sociopath is also a very bad idea, because it instantly makes them impossible to relate to and repulsive to all normal people.
fair point on the sociopath bit.
i mentioned pessimism for the reason mentioned above. i feel that as you step away from the norm when designing such a character, it feels more "unexplored" and therefore "fresh" to the person playing it. so no, don't make the female protagonist a beefcake or a hooker, either extreme would be a bad idea. you see games with main characters like Squall in FFVIII though, right? i think that's a good role for a female main character. lightning was like that, and she's all the rage on the internet. full of grit, even if her hair is perfectly maintained and she doesn't have a freckle or pimple on her face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom