• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Axl Rose sues Activision for $20m

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose is trying to sue Activision for $20 million, over the use of Guns N' Roses songs and the presence of former bandmate Slash in Guitar Hero III.

Feeling sorry for Activision's lawyers is a new experience for us, but we are struggling to understand what this story is about and why Axl has suddenly got upset about a three year old game.

According to The Hollywood Reporter the root of the problem is the song Welcome To The Jungle, which Axl (real name Bill) claims was licensed with the strict understanding that the game would not include any representation of Slash or any mention of his new band Velvet Revolver.

In fact Slash was the first celebrity avatar to appear in a Guitar Hero game and was featured prominently in Guitar Hero III and its advertising. When Bill found out he then tried to get the song removed, but claims Activision told him Slash was only being used for a trade show promotion.

Further upset has been caused by the use of Sweet Child O' Mine, which Bill claims was licensed for Guitar Hero II only.

'This lawsuit is about protecting Guns N’ Roses and 'Welcome to the Jungle' and is about holding Activision accountable for its misuse of these incredibly valuable assets,' said lawyer Skip Miller (we're not sure what his real name is). 'The relief we are seeking is disgorgement of profits and compensatory and punitive damages.'

Good job he didn't ask for the profits from Guitar Hero: Warriors Of Rock (there weren't any). Still, at least it makes a change from Activision getting sued by Courtney Love and No Doubt.

(^Just found this on a site called Metro)

Dark Drakan

Admin
Axl is a moron, i was raised on Guns N Roses amongst many others but he has turned into such a whiny b**** over the years. Guns N Roses died when slash left as far as im concerned though i have to say i hate Activision so anything that hurts their money grabbing ways is fine by me.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Huh. I wonder why the Guns N Roses guys didn't throw a bitch fit over the obvious references to their band in Mega Man X5.

aka958

Don't trust people
Storm Silves;290170 said:
Huh. I wonder why the Guns N Roses guys didn't throw a bitch fit over the obvious references to their band in Mega Man X5.

Because he saves that to when he needs it, or it isn't as easy to sue someone from references than actual songs and characters from the band.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Well, the character that's named after Axl is Axel the Red, and his body has a rose motif, so... Yeah. >.>

aka958

Don't trust people
Storm Silves;290173 said:
Well, the character that's named after Axl is Axel the Red, and his body has a rose motif, so... Yeah. >.>

I don't think that is enough. It is not a direct reference, just a strong hint. They can't sue someone from making something alike their style. Or, I think they can't.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
You can sue for pretty much anything nowadays.

On topic, this is a bit much, don't you think?

Dark Drakan

Admin
Storm Silves;290175 said:
You can sue for pretty much anything nowadays.

On topic, this is a bit much, don't you think?

Well after they were booed on stage at download & reading festival and their albums since Slash left have been average at best Axl needs all the money he can get.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
"Oh no, I'm running short on cash. Quick, what's a good way to make money?"

"Well Axl, you could look things up that refer to you in a way, and try and sue".

"Ah great, I know just the thing. A three year old game. This should do the trick".

"Axl, you've done it again" *Piano music plays them off*

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
this reminds me of when the chili peppers sued the show californication for something they had no legal ownership of.

kurt cobain should be the one alive instead of axl. then all the nirvana fans would be happy, activision wouldn't be getting sued, and an overdose story may have become one of withdrawal.

axl can gtfo planet earth, activision can come too.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
cheezMcNASTY;290200 said:
this reminds me of when the chili peppers sued the show californication for something they had no legal ownership of.

kurt cobain should be the one alive instead of axl. then all the nirvana fans would be happy, activision wouldn't be getting sued, and an overdose story may have become one of withdrawal.

axl can gtfo planet earth, activision can come too.

*Nods* I totally agree +Rep

Meg

I think the name of this thread should be "When two idiots collide!" :lol:

Top Bottom