• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Assassins Creed IV Black Flag Review Roundup

Dark Drakan

Admin
AC4BF_Hero.jpg
Feel free to add any more that you might come across.

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
It's nice to see that the game's getting high review scores, but, for me, the series is getting worse and worse with every new release. AC1 was great; AC2, I took a while to warm to; everything else: meh. I received AC3 for free with a graphics card I bought for Angel, and it was the most obscenely dull and vacuous gaming experience I can remember since the original Dead Island. Damn.

Love the setting, but I won't be bothering with AC4.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I'm not sure what to make of these scores. IGN gave the game a high score, but one of the minus points was that the story was bad. Surely the story is one of the driving points, and if that sucks, then the game shouldn't be getting such a high score.

It's just getting stale. I've already seen the game from start to end. They tried, and it looks nice, I like Edward as a character, but I think I'll stick to AC2. Everything after that was just a rehash to me. Plus, I do not like the boat battles. AC3 made me loathe them, and I don't think AC4 would make me change my mind.

Dark Drakan

Admin
It's nice to see that the game's getting high review scores, but, for me, the series is getting worse and worse with every new release. AC1 was great; AC2, I took a while to warm to; everything else: meh. I received AC3 for free with a graphics card I bought for Angel, and it was the most obscenely dull and vacuous gaming experience I can remember since the original Dead Island. Damn.

Love the setting, but I won't be bothering with AC4.

I liked the idea of the first the most but found it terribly repetitive, I enjoyed ACII but since then I have enjoyed them less and less. I havent even bothered to finish ACIII yet and it has bored me throughout. I havent actually paid for one for myself since the first, always ask for them as presents so I dont have to spend my money. :lol:

Releasing a new one every year is doing the series real harm and I can see it being their undoing. Just seem to be churning them out each year with no real feeling behind them, the games lack heart and feel incomplete.

Battlefield 4 and Season 2 of The Walking Dead (well the episode that comes out this year) are main ones I will be keeping the cash aside for any time soon.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
I liked the idea of the first the most but found it terribly repetitive, I enjoyed ACII but since then I have enjoyed them less and less. I havent even bothered to finish ACIII yet and it has bored me throughout. I havent actually paid for one for myself since the first, always ask for them as presents so I dont have to spend my money. :lol:

Releasing a new one every year is doing the series real harm and I can see it being their undoing. Just seem to be churning them out each year with no real feeling behind them, the games lack heart and feel incomplete.

Battlefield 4 and Season 2 of The Walking Dead (well the episode that comes out this year) are main ones I will be keeping the cash aside for any time soon.

No Super Mario 3D World?
tumblr_molopzyO8R1qmzsn0o1_500.jpg

Come on, you can't resist how cute they are. I mean, even if Toad's voice sounds like a 6 year-old smoking, just look at him! It's blue, wittle kitty! And Luigi's awkward enough that it makes this even better!

Anyway... I watched the whole entire game of Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag. Let's just say the game goes really quick for some reason. From what I remember, Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood had good pacing; Revelations sort of, but it did drawl on for bit. Assassin's Creed 3, I think, was sort of slow from what I remember people saying about it and watching parts of it. That said, Assassin's Creed 3 introduced a better stealth system with the stalking zones, better combat since it wasn't just counter and turtle all the time, and well, the animations were much better. Story-wise, I think it's mostly how it ended that affected people along with Connor Kenway's character. I don't have a problem with Connor since he basically embodies a stoic warrior along with a self-righteous trait since he does see things in black and white a lot. This probably has to do with him losing his mother and experiencing the persecutions by the settlers who were mostly Templars. So, Connor grew up hating Templars and basically blaming them for everything and he's just motivated by revenge. At the end of the game and pretty much in the DLC, Connor does lose that self-righteousness and becomes more mellow and friendlier. The problem is that this happens at like very end of the game so people don't get to see Connor grow or mature much. That said, once you see how Edward Kenway, Connor's paternal grandfather, is, you do see them as similar people.

Edward is driven by ambition and personally, he seems like an ass for about 80% of the game. Oh look, late development. Anyway, Edward's ambition to gain riches beyond reality causes him to lose pretty much everyone around him and create tons of enemies. He almost became the enemy of the Assassins and Templars, yeah, that's how much of an ass Edward is. That said, like Connor, he mellows out by the end and wants to atone for everything he's done. One problem though, we know what happens to Edward: he gets murdered by the enemies he created during his time as a pirate and leaves Jenny, his daughter, to taken elsewhere and Haytham to be fatherless at a young age. A really positive trait about his is that he judges others by their character rather than everything else. Adéwale is a black man and back then, anyone not white was treated like crap. Edward just sees Adé as another member of the crew and basically his adviser and best friend who he almost loses because of his ambition. Also, Edward is a much lively person than Connor. Both grandfather and grandson were motivated by selfish desires.

As for Haytham, personally, I think he's more like Altair. He's calm, collected, and clever. The difference besides him being a Templar is that he lets himself become corrupted and ends up being a cruel man whose only saving grace is that he still feels he should be a father to Connor despite Connor being his enemy. I think this might be from Edward's influence on Haytham; Edward told Haytham to choose what he beliefs and question others instead of blindly following others. So, even though Haytham didn't like the Assassin's, he accepted Connor's convictions.

Back to ACIV, gameplay-wise it looked like what AC3 should have been and looks like a combination of having the mechanics of AC3 while retaining the exploration AC2 had. The seas are large and there are tons of islands for you to discover ruins and stuff. Also, there's a "super armor" like in AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations, which AC3 got rid of for historical reasons; armor sort of became obsolete by that time, while during Edward's time, I guess people still used armor before it became obsolete. Unfortunately, with the whole Ezio trilogy and Assassin's Creed 3 leaving a bad taste for people, Assassin's Creed IV might not be able to redeem the series not matter how good it is. Even though I haven't played it, it looks much more engaging than AC3. Also, pirate shanties and the pirate and seafaring themed soundtrack is amazing.

One pet peeve and this applies to every game that allow to do this: people always choose the black outfit. I'm looking for people to pick the cloaks or the more colorful outfit, but every time someone plays Assassin's Creed, GTA, Battlefield, RPG, whatever, they always pick an all black outfit or black and red or black and blue. It's so freaking boring to see. What happened to the greens, blues, reds, oranges, yellows, whites?! Did this generation of brown and grey shooters killed our color wheel and reduced it to: black. Nope, no other colors, just black. Franklin's white Buffalo car in GTA V was a much nicer than an all black Buffalo with stupid rims, a giant spoiler, and limo-tinted windows. Oh well.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
IGN is usually far too generous in their reviews. Fable 3 got an 8.5/10, for the love of SPARTA. So if AC IV is getting only an 8.5 from them (yes, that's fairly low for their standards), I'm afraid the game might be only mediocre.

Besides, I'm not sure what all the pirating is about. It looks fun to steer a ship and bombard other ships, but to me, it seems like a blatant attempt at making you forget this is supposed to be an Assassin's Creed game, with nice stealth, many ways of killing people, and not being thrusted into something you don't want to be in. Yes, the game seems to put a lot of time into this mini-game of bombarding ships and acting like Blackbeard. But we'll just have to wait and see if it's good or not.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
It's just getting stale.

Because Assassin's Creed 3 happened. They know damn well that the story is one of the strongest point of the franchise but the plot in AC3 looks like something that was written by a 12 year old. The more i think about it, the more i get irritated because ACIII have massive potential.

Revelations was pretty good narrative wise but gameplay wise it's the same. Although i would somewhat agree that this is the point where AC is beginning to stale.

IncarnatedDemon

coming from a guy who ignored ac games...why is this new game looking so appealing to me.
-_- whats wrong with me?! Dammit i need to see a doctor. I cant play a ac game.
That would make me one of "them".

Jokes aside, this game has left a good impression on me. Any Ac fans who think im out of my mind for thinking that?

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Okay, i just played this game recently and it was actually pretty good O_O
Playing as a pirate is so much fun and Edward is a well written and an interesting character.

Top Bottom