• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood Review (PS3, Xbox 360)

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
I did not expect a sequel for Assassin's Creed II to come out this fast, but it did. Is this a true sequel, or not?

Storyline

996092_20101115_screen013.jpg

Ezio returns in this game, as well as other familiar faces, like Mario, La Volpe, and the present Assassins like Desmond.

The story continues directly from Assassin's Creed II ending. After escaping from the Templars, Desmond and other Assassins escaped to Monteriggioni and made it as their new hideout. After finished setting up the Animus 2.0, Desmond continues to search his ancestor's memories about what's happening after the events at Rome.

The story presented in Ezio's adventure is well done. I have to laud Ubisoft to make a fantastic story telling for Ezio. However, the present storyline is not as much as interesting, as the ending does not give any conclusion to the Assassin's Creed series lore especially the story in the present, but more confusions and puzzles. Hopefully, Assassin's Creed III will explain the ending of this game in detail, as I am actually confused as to what happened exactly in the ending.

In short, this game have a good storyline, but may disappoint Assassin's Creed series fan as it fails to clarify any mysteries from the two main Assassin's Creed games.

Every characters in this game are very interesting, especially Ezio, Cesare, etc. I would also like to note that Shaun's sarcasm works well in this game as well, as I am quite amused with his sarcastic remarks.

Gameplay

996092_20100614_screen011.jpg

More refined gameplay, with the newly added Kill Streaks.

The game plays largely the same as Assassin's Creed II, with some great additions. Ezio now has access to Kill Streaks, where he can instant kill another enemy whenever he killed an enemy. As long as he is uninterrupted, he can keep using the Kill Streak on the field. You can also simultaneously use your Hidden Gun to kill another enemy when killing one with your sword.

996092_20101115_screen001.jpg

Rome is a large city. And you gonna need horses to travel quickly in the city to your destinations, or using the Tunnel System.​

Like the main Assassin's Creed games, you need to go to certain areas to start your missions. As with the second game, the missions are varied to have this game entertain you every time. With a variety of missions, you won't feel easily bored.

Unlike the second game, you can always replay a MEMORY to gain 100% Synchronization with the particular MEMORY. By having 100% Synch in every MISSIONs in a SEQUENCE, you may receive a reward like a cheatcode or something, which can be worthwhile doing. However, in order to get a 100% Synch for a MISSION, you need to complete certain conditions. For example, killing Target A using Air Assassination allows you to achieve 100% Synch with that MISSION.

You can also do some training programs at the menu. Completing each program unlocks the Raiden costume from MGS4, which is an awesome costume for Ezio to wear.
Also, unlike the second game, you can always exit the Animus to roam your hideout base. There is nothing much to do, but you can collect artifacts or chat with Shaun, Rebecca, and Lucy for more information of themselves or the current Assassins status.

996092_20100614_screen013.jpg

You have your own band of Assassins. However, their usage is rather limited.​

Now, Ezio can recruit his own band of Assassins. In order to recruit a new Assassin, you need to rescue him/her or from Borgia soldiers. By doing so, they will pledge loyalty to you and will become one of Ezio's Apprentices. At first, you can only recruit up to three Assassins. But by destroying Borgia towers, you can recruit more new Assassins.

Each Assassin starts with Level 1. By calling them to fight with you against Borgia's soldiers, they can gain Experience. However, it is to be noted that they can die if they are low leveled, especially against tough enemies. If the Assassin you called is killed in action, you need to recruit a new one to fill in his/her spot. However, this is purely optional, as you can or not recruit a new Assassin.

Another way to increase the Assassins' Experience is by sending them to Missions. By completing it, they can gain Experience points. By gaining enough EXP, they can go to the next level. Furthering your Apprentices' Levels will allow them to have better equipments, which means they can have better chances of survival when fighting tough Borgia soldiers.

You can also customise your Apprentices's appearance, such as robe colours. However, when they reach the maximum of Level 10, they will become a full fledged Assassin, which means you can customise them further.

This system is called BAM system, short for Brotherhood Assist Move. If you have 3 Assassins at your disposal, you have 1 BAM slot. By using a BAM slot, you can call your Assassins to kill any Borgia guards nearby or kill a target that you Lock-On to. When in Open Conflict, you can use 1 BAM Slot to call your Assassins to fight the Borgia guards if you think they have outnumbered you. If you have recruited more than 9 Assassins, you can use 3 BAM slots to use Arrow Storm, which can kill any nearby Borgia guards using their Crossbows.

Ezio also has access to new weapons, such as Crossbow. Crossbow is extremely useful to kill an enemy without alerting others. Thus, it can be more useful than your Hidden Gun at different situations.

996092_20101115_screen014.jpg

Destroy Borgia towers to RENOVATE shops, banks, and recruit new Assassins' Apprentices. Synchronize with Viewpoints to find the locations of the Shops and Borgia towers in Rome.

Unlike the second game, shops will not unlock directly. In order to open shops, you need to destroy Borgia towers and use your money to RENOVATE the shops. There are few shops and locations you can RENOVATE to increase your income:

1. Doctor
2. Blacksmith
3. Tailor
4. Art
5. Stables
6. Tunnels
7. Banks

By doing this, you can also generate more income for yourself, as you going to need a lot of money to buy new equipments and items. This is similar to Assassin's Creed II income system, except more expanded.

In short summary, I love Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood's new refined gameplay, as it is much better and varied in each MISSIONS. However, the BAM System needs more tuning, as there is nothing much to do for them except killing Borgia guards and completing their own MISSIONS.

Graphics

996092_20101115_screen016.jpg

Awesome graphics.​

I always love Assassin's Creed games graphics. Beautiful, and awesome. Detailed character models, and beautiful environments. Rome is a beautiful city in this game, and you will not get tired looking at it.

It is to be noted that the PS3 version has some frame rates problems, but it does not hinder the experience of playing the game.

Sound

996092_20101115_screen006.jpg

Superb voice acting by experienced voice actors, with great music backing it up by Jesper Kyd.​

Needless to say, this game has awesome voice acting by Roger Craig Smith (Ezio), Nolan North (Desmond Miles), Kristen Bell (Lucy), Danny Wallace (Shaun), etc. The voice actors give authentic life to the Italian characters, such as Leonardo, Mario, Claudia, Niccolo, etc. I am pleased to hear that their accents are more authentic than other voice actors, and I must applaud their efforts of voicing their characters.

The soundtrack is as awesome, as always. I expect nothing less from Jesper Kyd. However, there are some pieces of music reused from Assassin's Creed II, so it may be a repetition to some people.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Replay Value

996092_20100615_screen003.jpg

This game offers the most replay value in an Assassin's Creed game.​

As in the previous Assassin's Creed games, you can collect a number of collectible items such as FEATHERS and FLAGS, or completing various SIDE MISSIONS. All SIDE MISSIONS are varied, and are fun to do. You can also do Leonardo Da Vinci's own SIDE MISSIONS, which involves in destroying his own inventions of destruction. However, before destroying them, you have the privilege to use them to kill your enemies in the SIDE MISSIONS.

The PS3 version has an exclusive DLC, which is Copernicus Conspiracy. It has several missions which involves Copernicus himself. The missions are fun to do, and it provides some insight on Copernicus himself.

996092_20100927_screen001.jpg

The Multiplayer mode is the biggest addition in Assassin's Creed series, and it is different than other games' Multiplayer modes.

In my opinion, the biggest replay value would have to be the Multiplayer mode. You will use a Templar to assassinate another Templar, and you have your own level. You must choose a PERSONA as your playable character in a Match, such as The Doctor, The Nobleman, The Engineer, and many more. Although they have different appearances, the gameplay is similar, as your own set of ABILITIES will define your PERSONA's skills.

There are few different matches, such as Wanted, Manhunt, Alliance, and other matches. I will briefly explain the Wanted match, as it acts as the basis for other matches.

The objective for Wanted match is simple. You need to assassinate your target before others reach him/her. However, you yourself are hunted by another Templar(s), so watch out. However, there is a catch of finding your TARGET. There are many other different PERSONAS in the Map you play, and a lot of them are the same as your TARGET or yourself, so be careful. However, you have your own Detection Compass, which is useful to detect your TARGET. It is a bluish ring, which will shape a full circle if your TARGET is nearby, and vice versa if your TARGET is far away. Use this Compass to find your TARGETS effectively and efficiently.

You also have a Detection Meter. At first, it will be INCOGNITO. If you run towards to your TARGET, it will be SILENT and then it will be DISCREET. If the Detection Meter breaks, a Chase sequence will play and you have to chase and kill your TARGET ASAP before he/she runs away or hide from you. INCOGNITO rewards you the most bonus points, secondly SILENT, and finally DISCREET.

You will gain POINTS when you kill your TARGET, or escaping your pursuers. There are few ways to gain POINTS, such as:

1. Kill your TARGET while in INCOGNITO, SILENT, or DISCREET status.

2. Kill your TARGET with POISON.

3. ESCAPE from your PURSUERS when the ESCAPE gauge empties.

4. STUN your unsuspected PURSUERS.

5. Kill your TARGET while in BLENDING with a GROUP to gain a HIDDEN bonus.

996092_20100927_screen003.jpg

Make sure you kill the right guy. If not, you will lose the TARGET, and will get another TARGET. Your PURSUERS can easily identify you as their TARGET if you kill someone or run, so watch out.​

There are various ways to get BONUS, such as POISON, STUN, etc. Kill your TARGETS with efficiency to get high POINTS as much as possible, and try to HIDE to avoid your PURSUERS.

You will start as Level 1, and you need to earn the POINTS that you earn in Matches to advance into the next Level. For example, if you earn 4000 POINTS in Wanted Match, that will go to your own Experience points. Take note however, if you only earn 100 POINTS in a Match, that will still count as your EXP. You reap what you sow, I guess.

By advancing more Levels, you can acquire new ABILITIES to use during Matches. There are three types of ABILITIES, which are:

1. Abilities - Immediate use, such as SMOKE BOMB. Has a cooldown timer after using it.
2. Perks - Acts as passive skills.
3. Streak Bonuses - Activates when you kill your TARGETS in a row or losing in a row.

Each ABILITIES have their own pros and cons, and it is up to you to mix and match with proper setup. You can set 2 Abilities, 2 Perks, and 2 Streak Bonuses for a PROFILE. You can obtain up to 5 PROFILES, adding more of your own strategy. Use the correct PROFILE when attempting a Match.

The Multiplayer mode is one of the best multiplayer mode I have ever played. It is rather different than other multiplayer games, and it is rather addicting to play it. I am enjoying the experience of the Multiplayer very much. I have only 1 complaint, which is when there is a PURSUER try to kill you, you can't defend or avoid unless using a correct Ability or by STUNNING them.

Conclusion

996093_20101124_screen001.jpg

It is a must play game, in my opinion. With an immerse Singleplayer mode and addicting Multiplayer mode, it is hard not to play this.​

In conclusion, this game is a must play for all Assassin's Creed fans, for PS3 or Xbox 360 players. The only major problems I have with this game is slightly weak main storyline compared with other Assassin's Creed games, BAM System has limited usage, some graphical problems and glitches.

The PS3 and Xbox 360 versions are mostly the same, except that the PS3 version has some framerates problem compared with the Xbox 360 version. However, it has an exclusive DLC content, which is not present in the Xbox 360 version currently. Regardless, both versions are still worth playing despite the minor differences.

Other than that, I am extremely satisfied when playing this game and I am proud to say that this game is a worthy sequel to Assassin's Creed II. I honestly can't wait for the next Assassin's Creed game.

Score

Story - 8/10
Gameplay - 9/10
Graphics - 9/10
Sound - 10/10

Final Score: 36/40 or 9.0/10.0.

Pros and Cons

Pros

- Ezio's storyline is awesome.
- Great and memorable characters.
- Improved gameplay, with the newly added Kill Streaks, revamped income system, etc.
- Superb voice acting by veteran actors, especially the ones who voice the Italian characters like Ezio and Niccolo.
- Fantastic graphics, with great and distinctive character models as well as beautiful environment.
- Non-repetitive mission objectives make this game feels more varied and will not bores you easily.
- Extremely high replay value.
- Multiplayer mode is an awesome addition, adds more to your playing time.
- Great music by Jesper Kyd.

Cons

- Minor glitches and bugs.
- Some framerate problems for the PS3 version.
- Disappointing main storyline for the present Assassins.
- BAM System has limited usage, and needs more fine tuning to make it more better.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Your reviews are always so well written and detailed, always a pleasure to read, and I gotta say I agree with most, if not all of your points on this game. I haven't played it enough to come up with a real, in depth review style opinion mainly due to lack of time, but it's nice to see what I have to look forward to later on.

Maybe we can get a game in online some time, eh?

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Angelo Credo;295325 said:
Your reviews are always so well written and detailed, always a pleasure to read, and I gotta say I agree with most, if not all of your points on this game. I haven't played it enough to come up with a real, in depth review style opinion mainly due to lack of time, but it's nice to see what I have to look forward to later on.

Maybe we can get a game in online some time, eh?

Thanks for reading my review. Glad it is good enough. ^_^

Of course, I"m online now on PSN if you want to play a match together. ^_^

Meg

Another great review by CM. You should be a game journalist. :D

I agree with a lot of your points and now that I've just finished it I can say its the best of the three. :D

The three of us will have to play together sometime.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Meg;295372 said:
Another great review by CM. You should be a game journalist. :D

I agree with a lot of your points and now that I've just finished it I can say its the best of the three. :D

The three of us will have to play together sometime.

Thanks for reading it, Meg. :D

Sure. We can play together online, if we are online at the same time, though. :lol:

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
Wait, when the hell we started having reviews here? I've been gone for AWHILE I see...:lol:

Also, I just got Brotherhood not too long ago...being the AC fanboy I am. I don't want to play online yet and just try to enjoy single player.

I use to do reviews, not here, but on another site during my hiatus here. However, people hated my reviews. Not because they werent well written, but controversial. I low scored Uncharted 2...so yeah, I guess I'm the Jim Sterling of indie reviews. :lol: If you guys would like to read some of my reviews, let me know.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
Esura;295435 said:
Also, I just got Brotherhood not too long ago...being the AC fanboy I am. I don't want to play online yet and just try to enjoy single player.

Same here but what little I have played of the multiplayer I really did enjoy. The first time in a while I have actually had fun with an online game because it was so different to the usual formula.

Top Bottom