• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Article: Why each Devil May Cry game is the best AND worst in the series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg

Something I thought would be fun to write. :) Please share your thoughts, but keep in mind: I AM BEING TONGUE IN CHEEK IN THIS ARTICLE AT A VERY OBVIOUS SPOT. This is also my opinion and mine alone. No jumping down my throat, m'kay?

mr-mackey-picture.jpg

Devil May Cry

Why it’s the best: It invented a subgenre that has been copied numerous times by games like God of War, Ninja Gaiden, and Bayonetta. It mastered the gothic and creepy atmosphere while offering interesting characters and a solid story.

Why it’s the worst: It has the worst button layout ever. Who the heck decided where the jump button should be and can someone shoot him? Gees!

Meg’s take: While it’s not my favorite of the series it is undoubtedly the most important. Not only did it introduce us to the DMC world, but it also introduced a new (and awesome) type of action.

Devil May Cry 2

Why it’s the best: It offers the best devil triggers in the series. Not to mention two disks each with their own playable character and story. Oh and Dante looks great. <3

Why it’s the worst: Dante doesn’t know how to talk, the story is laughable, combat is bleh, and its just average all around. Its like Capcom didn’t even care.

Meg’s take: Oh gees. I played this for the sole reason that I wanted to be able to say I did.

Devil May Cry 3

Why it’s the best: It brought the series back with a vengeance after a disappointing sequel by taking the story back to the beginning. Players got to see a younger and more hotheaded Dante than before. The new style system let the players choose how they wanted to play. This game also offered new and interesting characters like series favorite Vergil while furthering the development of Dante as well.

Why it’s the worst: Crushing difficulty even on Easy mode was enough to scare some gamers away and while it did have the gothic architecture the series is known for it lacked the same kind of creepy atmosphere of the original.

Meg’s take: It was great to not only see a younger Dante, but to watch him grow up and develop as a character as well. While the story isn’t anything special I enjoyed it all the same.

Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition

Why it’s the best: It let people play as Vergil as well as added in other extras like an additional difficulty level and Jester boss battles. It also toned down the difficulty making it more accessible to new comers.

Why it’s the worst: The downgraded difficulty made the game more appealing to newcomers and less so to vets of the series.

Meg’s take: This is my favorite of the series. It has all the awesome-ness of plain old 3, but much more as well.

Devil May Cry 4

Why it’s the best: It let you switch styles on the fly allowing for even crazier combos than before. It also introduced Nero and his Devil Bringer arm, so players never had to worry about enemies getting away from them. The graphics were pretty and the combat tightened making it the smoothest in the series.

Why it’s the worst: Nero came out of nowhere and never got explained causing the internet to go into a tizzy. Nero’s gameplay is also much more straight forward and lacking in depth compared to playing as Dante. The backtracking and Dante’s 2D personality made him feel tacked on as well.

Meg’s take: I enjoyed the gameplay of DMC4 a lot. I was just disappointed by Nero’s randomness. I feel like they could have done a lot more with such an interesting character. Oh well.

DmC

Why it’s the best: Its not.

Why it’s the worst: It rejects everything DMC is.

Meg’s take: I thought the point of a reboot is to keep the series recognizable while changing it up. When I watched the first trailer I thought I had clicked on the wrong video because I didn’t see DMC in it anywhere. Still don’t.

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
I enjoyed reading this Meg. It made me smile especially the pic of Mr Mackey staring back at me! I felt sad when reading your last paragraph - because it's true :(
Oh I Was disappointed by Neros randomness too! ;)

Asmodaius

Oh Meg...
Though I agree with your post until the DmC part, I find it disappointing that you have judged the upcoming game so harshly without much to base it on. I used to find you one of the more open-minded sceptics with your intelligent and heartful posts, but now... You're just like all the others.

What a disappointment...

/sarcasm

Meg

Oh Meg...
Though I agree with your post until the DmC part, I find it disappointing that you have judged the upcoming game so harshly without much to base it on. I used to find you one of the more open-minded sceptics with your intelligent and heartful posts, but now... You're just like all the others.

What a disappointment...
Sorry this article's satire regarding DmC wasn't obvious. Oh wait it was.

Something I thought would be fun to write. :) Please share your thoughts, but keep in mind: I AM BEING TONGUE IN CHEEK IN THIS ARTICLE AT A VERY OBVIOUS SPOT. This is also my opinion and mine alone. No jumping down my throat, m'kay?

mr-mackey-picture.jpg

:p

Asmodaius

No no, I was aware... I thought I would respond in the same spirit of the top post... I guess I failed. :(
I'll edit my other post so it is more obvious.

Reactions: Meg

Meg

Oh Meg...

What a disappointment...

/sarcasm
Oh well thank you for the compliment. XD

Ultima

Obsessed Green Day Fangirl ^^
Why it’s the worst: Dante doesn’t know how to talk, the story is laughable, combat is bleh, and its just average all around. Its like Capcom didn’t even care.

^ I loled at this so loud because its true :p

Nessy

In terms of gameplay dante is quite badly designed in dmc4. How are you supposed to effectively kill frosts with him? None of his moves interrupt, they are all either too slow or too low damage. And most enemies you just knock away far too easily.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
In terms of gameplay dante is quite badly designed in dmc4. How are you supposed to effectively kill frosts with him? None of his moves interrupt, they are all either too slow or too low damage. And most enemies you just knock away far too easily.
spamming yamato and rebellion will do the trick no prob. and i wouldnt say dante has a bad design it was just more of Nero's world. Dante couldnt have been more BA in DMC4. i'm not the True Style type but i seen his potential.

Nessy

I can easily kill them, i've done almost all of the game no damage, it's just stupid how few techniques you have as dante that are actually useful against some enemies, and things like frosts take sooooo long to kill (killing 4 frosts at some point takes minutes) because you can use pretty much none of gilgameshes skills.

Darkstar Darin

The Badass In Black
I can easily kill them, i've done almost all of the game no damage, it's just stupid how few techniques you have as dante that are actually useful against some enemies, and things like frosts take sooooo long to kill (killing 4 frosts at some point takes minutes) because you can use pretty much none of gilgameshes skills.
u playin on DMD mode or sumthin?

Eric

Great Demon King of Evil
I agree with everything that Meg has said.... except the DmC part. *Shot*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom