• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Anyone Remember This Dante?

Would you have preferred this Dante?

• Total voters

IncarnatedDemon

His character design can be alot better. I dont think they used a year on the character design as with DmC.
If they give character design for original Dante a year, then i am sure he will look better :)

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Summary: It may be appealing to those who are starters,but for those who already know the true Dante,it's really sad what they did.
Agree with this and everything else you wrote in that post. Pure poetry. :O
I really didn't expect such a large majority to prefer this design over the one we got in DMC4 proper... XD
I did. In fact, I knew they would ever since the initial reveal.

Off-topic: This reminds me of at story...

*audience groans*

Shut your faces. :mad:

Anyway, this topic reminds me of when I was talking to this DMC fan (won't say who, other than that they were kind of influential in the DMC community) and she said she preferred "alcoholic Dante" more than "badass Dante".

I had then asked her why.

And she said that because "badass Dante looks too much like DMC3 Dante."

DUH. :|

That's the whole point as to why they designed him like that. He's supposed to look similar but older.

But no. Capcom had to drop the ball yet again. -_-

Now, in my opinion, he looks completely different from his DMC3 counterpart. He doesn't look anything like DMC1 Dante either. Just goes to show that other people have a point when they say that the four original Dantes don't have any consistencies other than the red jacket.

I won't mention the hair because... you know... flame war...

Agree with this and everything else you wrote in that post. Pure poetry. :O

Now, in my opinion, he looks completely different from his DMC3 counterpart. He doesn't look anything like DMC1 Dante either. Just goes to show that other people have a point when they say that the four original Dantes don't have any consistency other than the red jacket.

I won't mention the hair because... you know... flame war...

Thank you !
I really agree with you here.
I felt that over the time Dante had so many versions,that he looked like an experiment of this franchise.They just couldn't decide of a fitting version of his. Personally,my favourite Dante is DMC1 Dante. I think they thought of: What if they get boring of him?
The answer is no.A character can be developed but still stay true to his character,for e.g. putting a character in different situations,cincumstances,to develop their personality. You don't need to destroy that character by turning the tables and saying: No,he's not appealing in this generation of gamers. My opinion is that many people with more intelect would have liked him and possibly,to get him known to the new gamers as he really is.
I don't find DMC3 such an annoying version,because you know,it was just a start,and to me,the best evolution of Dante was from DMC3 to DMC1. And it should have stayed at DMC1 when it comes to personality,but with more developing to the future games.In my opinion..

"the four original Dantes don't have any consistency other than the red jacket."
Second this.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I think DMC4 Dante is probably better than that (very) early pic. He needed to be more of a character, and that's what he became with DMC4. In that picture, it's just a guy with white hair wearing a red trench coat, so even DMC3 Dante was more original, since at least he had a trench coat that was open all the time.

I didn't feel DMC4 Dante was incredibly childish or anything. He's just a joker and likes to be cynical and taunting. Nothing childish about that. Besides, he's only thirty in DMC4, so give him a break.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I think DMC4 Dante is probably better than that (very) early pic. He needed to be more of a character, and that's what he became with DMC4. In that picture, it's just a guy with white hair wearing a red trench coat, so even DMC3 Dante was more original, since at least he had a trench coat that was open all the time.

I didn't feel DMC4 Dante was incredibly childish or anything. He's just a joker and likes to be cynical and taunting. Nothing childish about that. Besides, he's only thirty in DMC4, so give him a break.

No point man. Its a general consensus on this site that DMC4 Dante is the worst Dante (well somebody had to be the worst or we can accept all Dante's as just one Dante).

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I like Dante this way and i don't see an abyss between the interpretations of him between the games as people on these forums does, he was a joker and a "party man" right from the start, his very first line when you turned your PS2 on to play DMC was: "LET'S ROCK BABEH". Although i agree that he "keeping" the personality he had in DMC3 to DMC4 was something weird because of how he was presented in the first DMC.

I like more the cynical joker than the somewhat ""serious"" devil hunter, i think that the first Dante had no yet a "full" personality decided to him as a character and DMC3 had given it to him (and then Capcom milked from this most iconic Dante from DMC3 and tried to make a resemblance with him in DMC4), he was between a joker and a serious man in DMC. To fill the role of the cold, objective, silent badass that just want to complete is mission i prefer to see Ryu Hayabusa in action.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I like Dante this way and i don't see an abyss between the interpretations of him between the games as people on these forums does, he was a joker and a "party man" right from the start, his very first line when you turned your PS2 on to play DMC was: "LET'S ROCK BABEH". Although i agree that he "keeping" the personality he had in DMC3 to DMC4 was something weird because of how he was presented in the first DMC.

I like more the cynical joker than the somewhat ""serious"" devil hunter, i think that the first Dante had no yet a "full" personality decided to him as a character and DMC3 had given it to him (and then Capcom milked from this most iconic Dante from DMC3 and tried to make a resemblance with him in DMC4), he was between a joker and a serious man in DMC. To fill the role of the cold, objective, silent badass that just want to complete is mission i prefer to see Ryu Hayabusa in action.

Since you don't see it, I'll explain;

You see, Dante is different from each game.

in DMC1 you don't see him sprouting something to do with partying every minute, and he's not as moronic as the 3rd game made him out to be. in DMC1 he was cynical in a more mature fashion. He could joke around but it wasn't over the top and stupid. It was more ready to go and more competitor talk, like he was in a sport with these demons. DMC3 Dante talks as if he's seen one too many college party movies and is literally copying the lines he's heard from them and putting his own spin on those lines. This makes him more immature and more of a douche bag frat boy compared to the model, cocky-but-serious devil hunter he grows up into.

With DMC4, that's just capcom appeasing a fanbase with that shameful interpretation of Dante.

and DMC2 was I guess many years down the road where he decides to take things seriously.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
This Dante would've been the one used in DMC4. Sure the final DMC4 Dante is awesome and all, but the little cowboy style just doesn't suit him. Plus, he wears boots, not shoes...

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Dante anime actually had the best personality fitting for DMC 4. I mean what the f*ck happened? Did Patty screwed his mind to act like what he was in DMC 4?

But DMC 4 Dante is so entertaining.

On-topic, i think if this is the Dante that they have used in DMC4, then it would be solely on him without Nero.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
DMC4 Dante is fine just the way he is. You can't say the cowboy style didn't suit him, because that's only an opinion. I thought it worked very well for him. His personality was somewhere between DMC3 Dante and DMC1 Dante, and that's great. To be honest, looking back at the DMC1 cutscenes, I thought Dante lacked something: could've been a bit more awesome and cynical, though I did like that he could still be pretty emotional.

In the end, it's about your opinion, and opinions will never be facts.

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
Honestly l prefer DMC4 Dante over this version. I liked how he came out. Funny, laidback, and just an overall character I enjoyed to use.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
DMC4 Dante is fine just the way he is. You can't say the cowboy style didn't suit him, because that's only an opinion. I thought it worked very well for him. His personality was somewhere between DMC3 Dante and DMC1 Dante, and that's great. To be honest, looking back at the DMC1 cutscenes, I thought Dante lacked something: could've been a bit more awesome and cynical, though I did like that he could still be pretty emotional.

In the end, it's about your opinion, and opinions will never be facts.
My most fav Dante is DMC1 Dante having a balanced personality. DMC4 Dante acted more on DMC3 Dante than DMC1. The only reason I preferred this Dante over the one in the game is that, when Capcom released the teaser and images of it, Dante might've used his personality from DMC1. His changes throughout could be more consistent. DMC3 to DMC anime changes are consistent. I was rather irked as to why he acted like he did back in DMC3 by DMC4 even though I liked his lines (in fact, I memorized almost every line he says in any game, including U/MvC3. I think I might be ready to cosplay as him) especially against his foes and calming Nero down, not to mention surviving after being impaled by his own sword again... To me, that rather broke the consistency...

BTW, I never quoted anyone. Wasn't talking to you. I only reply with quotes or fellow members' names to know who I'm talking to. Just stating an opinion and there is nothing wrong with that, especially if it is respectable. I'm just glad you respect my opinion though... :)

Sorry if it's a bit upsetting for some... Sometimes I can get preachy.

Top Bottom