• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Anyone else think that games are announced WAAAAAAAAY too early?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Maybe that would benefit the gaming audience & gaming itself altogether.
Not just gaming, but any form of entertainment as well.

Or even business, as long as the audience gets something out of it in return.

=======================================

I will call it: Toppins.

A fusion of Paypal, Kickstarter, and Patreon. The project founder can ask for any amount, and can have an unlimited time frame (because after waiting for HL3 for more than ten years projects like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword seem conservative by comparison).

However, Progress Reports (and Cost Report receipts) should be mandatory as well. We're the ones calling the shots, after all.

=======================================

Edit:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...st&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
lol You can't ask for something in return for simply showing a little appreciation.
I was talking about reduced prices or a free artbook. A sculpture. Something cheap. Incentive fuels motivation.

If a company can't promise something worthwhile (something small) for having to wait over three, four, five, or even six years of development time (or more), then almost no one would ever feel the need to help them out.

Progress needs to be made, and both parties have to reach an end agreement according to their timeframe.

Sending them snacks and small gifts is one thing. Sending them enough money to develop an entire game (based on a collective community effort) is something else entirely.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
@VampireWicked

-------------------------------------------

Off-topic:

Or... the community itself could just create a cheap 2D game that fuses all the ideas from whatever AAA game series the fans wanted (using Patreon or Kickstarter maybe).

Example:

http://lokrevival.webs.com/

http://gamejolt.com/games/platformer/soul-reaver-2d/9301/

It doesn't even have to be a brand name. It could just be like Mighty No. 9 and incorporate ideas from previous games while giving it a new name.

For example, if I wanted to create a game that's similar to DMC, I could simply include everything they've done but only with 2D mechanics and give everything a different name.

These could be the names of some of the weapons.

http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/demons/

Basic Premise:

"Rumen Whitlock" fights against "Solomon Coleridge" in the ninth circle of hell -- after fighting against the bosses of the other eight.

It's not that difficult. You could even create a metroidvania title out of it by having the different circles "connect" with each other like in Symphony of the Night.

The game itself could be called "Nadir of Torment" or something.

If people actually worked together instead of asking for a new installment, they could end up creating something better than what the creators themselves had in mind in the first place.

Case in point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust:_An_Elysian_Tail

"Aside from voice acting, soundtrack, and parts of the story, Dust was designed and programmed entirely by Dean Dodrill."

If one guy could do all that, then imagine what an entire team of talented individuals could do.

Last edited:

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
For me sometimes early announcments of games are pleasing experience but I would wish that Game Devs try to do good storyline and content than give half good or bad product in end that one teased.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
@Vergilius
Yea but then you run the risk of infringing on some developer's idea.
Dude, there's always "infringement" if you think about it.

Capcom wanted to sue Inafune for Mighty No. 9, but it's still getting released anyway. Those lawsuits are pretty much groundless if you make your games different enough from the source material.

Darksiders has Death running around with a broadsword and a huge revolver (alongside his traditional scythe weapons), and they didn't get sued.

This is a non-issue, as far as I'm concerned.

Capcom didn't sue Scalebound because its protagonist had white hair, headphones, and scaly skin like Nero did. They know that suing people won't get them anywhere.

And that isn't counting all the other DMC clones that were out on the market back in the early aughts (early 2000's). Capcom doesn't have the money to sue anyone anymore, as far as I'm concerned.

I could make a badass action game with candy aesthetics (gingerbread people and chocolate castles) and that would be more than enough for the "new franchise" to be allowed to exist.

No one would even care at that point, especially not Capcom.
Even better Gamers building a next gen console for the gamers.
Did you know that the Ouya actually outsold Xbox 1 in Canada (on Amazon) at one point? That means, as little of an impact that ouya made, it's still good enough for homebrew developers to make games on.

But you're right. We need something different now. A homebrew console for Andriod tablets (because Apple are control freaks).

I just don't know what it is that we would actually need in order to create titles like Darksiders 2 and DMC3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom