• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Another sparda branched off character!

Arwen Michaelas

I think most people noticed how capcom had been all jumbled up trying to replace vergil, and adding a son to his name may have seemed the most appropriate choice at the time, a lot of people have different opinions on the matter, negative or positive.
so a friend of mine and I were wondering the other day, if you could choose a sparda related character to replace vergil with instead of nero, what would it be.
I thought it'd be cool for dante to have a grandpa for example, add another level to the sparda myth, but I don't know, any thoughts?

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
a new half demon half human maybe someone dante discovers and trains maybe and who he then passes off to to nero and then who then assumes his own role and continues on his own as is own devil hunter?

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I think most people noticed how capcom had been all jumbled up trying to replace vergil, and adding a son to his name may have seemed the most appropriate choice at the time, a lot of people have different opinions on the matter, negative or positive.
so a friend of mine and I were wondering the other day, if you could choose a sparda related character to replace vergil with instead of nero, what would it be.
I thought it'd be cool for dante to have a grandpa for example, add another level to the sparda myth, but I don't know, any thoughts?

First of all, love your avatar; the same artist made the one I have, in fact. :)

Now, on to your post:

I personally don't have a problem with Nero, myself. Whether he's actually Vergil's son is anyone's guess, since Capcom opted to be vague beyond belief about that, and no one seems to be able to agree on the age difference between Nero and Dante (many insist Dante's in his late 20's or early 30's; I'm thinking more like late 30's, possibly 40-no one knows for sure, since none of the canonized material states it, either way).

But if I could choose another of the Sparda lineage (I wouldn't do it to replace Nero personally, but to add on to the story further) perhaps an illegitimate child of Dante's. Or hell, it could be an entirely legit kid, it wouldn't matter to me (though for all we know, Nero could be HIS son instead of Vergil's; yeah, it's unlikely, but I'm open to many theories centralizing around Nero's origins).

If not that yes, an elder of the Sparda family, such as Sparda's father, would be a welcome addition. Also though, I'd like to know more about Eva's lineage, as well. After all, this woman was tough enough to enter a relationship with a full-blooded devil, have two sons by him, and do her best to protect her family from evil. As far as I'm concerned, she's just as deserving of a back story as anyone of the Sparda lineage. :)

Arwen Michaelas

First of all, love your avatar; the same artist made the one I have, in fact. :)

Now, on to your post:

I personally don't have a problem with Nero, myself. Whether he's actually Vergil's son is anyone's guess, since Capcom opted to be vague beyond belief about that, and no one seems to be able to agree on the age difference between Nero and Dante (many insist Dante's in his late 20's or early 30's; I'm thinking more like late 30's, possibly 40-no one knows for sure, since none of the canonized material states it, either way).

But if I could choose another of the Sparda lineage (I wouldn't do it to replace Nero personally, but to add on to the story further) perhaps an illegitimate child of Dante's. Or hell, it could be an entirely legit kid, it wouldn't matter to me (though for all we know, Nero could be HIS son instead of Vergil's; yeah, it's unlikely, but I'm open to many theories centralizing around Nero's origins).

If not that yes, an elder of the Sparda family, such as Sparda's father, would be a welcome addition. Also though, I'd like to know more about Eva's lineage, as well. After all, this woman was tough enough to enter a relationship with a full-blooded devil, have two sons by him, and do her best to protect her family from evil. As far as I'm concerned, she's just as deserving of a back story as anyone of the Sparda lineage. :)

Thanks, your avatar isn't so bad either,
I don't mind nero either, but I kinda developed a very hard headed attitude when the first theory about him being vergil's son came out, it seemed so final, that vergil was dead forever, as for the possibility of him being the son of dante, we'll I guess it's as plausible as anything, but man I'd really be ****ed it it were true.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Thanks, your avatar isn't so bad either,
I don't mind nero either, but I kinda developed a very hard headed attitude when the first theory about him being vergil's son came out, it seemed so final, that vergil was dead forever, as for the possibility of him being the son of dante, we'll I guess it's as plausible as anything, but man I'd really be ****ed it it were true.

I don't think he is Dante's son, but I haven't ruled it out; in fact, I've only come across a few people who think he might be. Like I said, I'm open to many theories about Nero's origins, since Capcom hasn't been very forthcoming with that information. :p

I get where you're coming from. If not Vergil's son, what do you think his origins are?

Arwen Michaelas

I don't think he is Dante's son, but I haven't ruled it out; in fact, I've only come across a few people who think he might be. Like I said, I'm open to many theories about Nero's origins, since Capcom hasn't been very forthcoming with that information. :p

I get where you're coming from. If not Vergil's son, what do you think his origins are?

Hmm, well, I'd say he's an illedgetenet son of sparda, but he could also be eva's son and both her and sparda decided to keep him away from the demon hunting world by separating him from his brothers, he's not the typical devil, all he has is that hand, maybe he has another hidden purpose.

or he might be dante's cousin, and we'd get to see dante's uncle someday, that would be cool.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I don't buy Nero is Vergil's son. It's stupid and doesn't make sense.

To be honest it would be no one because I'm getting sick of this.

All the games try to revolve around nothing but Sparda's family tree and he's not a character, he's a plot device.

I'd have a character that comes out of left field with ulterior motives and plan that just happens to cross paths with the Devil May Cry crew. When you just keep it revolving around one thing it makes the entire world just feel smaller and smaller.

If I ever got a chance to work on Devil May Cry it would probably have no character from the previous games besides Dante so I could have more creative freedom in developing a new antagonist and all that good stuff and just explore more of the world itself.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Not sure really. I was already uneasy that Dante was shafted for Nero in DMC4. I don't want him to be shafted again for an ever growing roster of main characters. I'd rather DMC was only about Dante's story, especially considering he still hasn't had his story concluded after the DMC2 cliffhanger.

If this new character was in their own spinoff though, I wouldn't mind. It'd be interesting to go with what DragonMaster said here:
I'd rather have it be a sister of Dante's. It be kind of like Superman/Batman Apocalypse movie where supergirl first appears on Earth, and Superman must show her the ways of Earth.

I don't buy Nero is Vergil's son. It's stupid and doesn't make sense.
Agreed, and yet Capcom now say this is cannon since that book came out this year. It really doesn't make sense though. He doesn't act like Vergil, he's just...if I was Vergil, I'd get Nero DNA tested to make sure he was related. :tongue:

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Tbh there is plenty of unexplored potential already there in the canon CAPCOM never went into depth about.

Sparda's life, Sparda vs Mundus, Sparda sealing Temen-ni-Gru and the priestess, Sparda and Eva, Dante and Vergil as children, Dante and Vergil before DMC3. Sparda is like, at least 2000 years old. That's a lot of adventures he could have had and a lot of people he could have interacted with. Why bring in new people when there is a LOT you could do with the ones we wonder about?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Sparda's life, Sparda vs Mundus,

I'd love to see a game that has Sparda vs. Mundus. It'd kind of be like Dante's Inferno though with Sparda going through hell to get to Mundus only Hell will look more anime like and the demons won't look as threatening.

Dante and Vergil before DMC3.

Wasn't that what the manga was for?

Sparda is like, at least 2000 years old. That's a lot of adventures he could have had and a lot of people he could have interacted with. Why bring in new people when there is a LOT you could do with the ones we wonder about?

But if Capcom did that, it would kind of put a damper on the mystery and legend of Sparda. The best thing about Legends are that the less you know about them, the more interesting they are. If Capcom made a game about Sparda, that would actually ruin the appeal of Sparda himself in the class of a mysterious entity like demon god who ruled over the human race quietly.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I like Ieyasu's idea, but I can't deny, DragonMaster has a really good point. A great deal of the appeal does stem from the mystery surrounding Sparda. :)

I too feel Dante should be the main focus, but wouldn't mind seeing spin-offs from the Devil May Cry world, as well. Finding a way to balance it out without taking from the original story may prove difficult or near impossible, however. Capcom has a great deal of trouble with the storyline as it is; anything more would just be a cluster ****, at this point.

Still, I'd love to see so much more of the DMC world. But, like someone said: that's what the mangas and whatnot are for. The games do a great job of whetting your appetite for more. If you desire more story than what the games are able to provide, there's the anime (which is canon) and various graphic novels and mangas to choose from (some of which are canon, others which contain canonical elements, but involve a great deal of discretion).

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Sparda is a good mystery, but he's such a mystery. Don't you sometimes feel like they just couldn't be bothered to think of anything to say about him in the series, even throw us a bit more than some tiny scraps? I wouldn't want to know everything about him, I like some mystery, but I'd like to know more than the tiny amount we do. Same with Eva. We know even less about her.

I can't count Trish as being anything like her, I see Trish as a reconstruction without Eva's memory. I'd like to know a bit more about the real Eva... or more about the major war between humans and demons in the past in which Sparda was some kind of hero, maybe.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Not sure really. I was already uneasy that Dante was shafted for Nero in DMC4. I don't want him to be shafted again for an ever growing roster of main characters. I'd rather DMC was only about Dante's story, especially considering he still hasn't had his story concluded after the DMC2 cliffhanger.

If this new character was in their own spinoff though, I wouldn't mind. It'd be interesting to go with what DragonMaster said here:

Agreed, and yet Capcom now say this is cannon since that book came out this year. It really doesn't make sense though. He doesn't act like Vergil, he's just...if I was Vergil, I'd get Nero DNA tested to make sure he was related. :tongue:

Since when do children have to behave like their parents to be their children? Then again I do have my dad's anger issues and atheism/agonistism. If so maybe Nero is more like his mother than his dad.

However, Nero does possess some of his dad's traits such as his more cold lone wolf attitude and strong cruelness to anyone not Kyrie and his hunger for power although for different reasons than his father.

That all saying if Vergil is his son. I mean being Vergil's son could mean anything. It could mean he was man made maybe he was created via test tube by some random scientist or by a demon/sorcerer using magic (he could be like Trish) or Vergil sexed someone up.

He has to be someone's kid and since he looks like Dante and Dante and Vergil are identical twins and he can't be Dante's son unless Dante had a drunken fling when he was like 16-17..maybe 15 and has a kid he never heard of.

Plus having a kid so he could be more like his dad makes sense for Vergil's character.

Nero,"Why did you have me dad?"

Vergil,"Because Sparda did it so will/must I."

Nero,"So why did you leave me behind?"

Vergil,"Because my father did the same and look how I turned out."

Nero,"But Sparda passed away you gave me up to a religious cult who tried to sacrifice me and rule the world."

Vergil,"Well and it made you stronger as well as get laid by that banging Kyrie chick. Best.Dad.Ever."

Nero,".............................well I can't argue on that.:wink:"

Last edited:

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Since when do children have to behave like their parents to be their children? Then again I do have my dad's anger issues and atheism/agonistism. If so maybe Nero is more like his mother than his dad.

However, Nero does possess some of his dad's traits such as his more cold lone wolf attitude and strong cruelness to anyone not Kyrie and his hunger for power although for different reasons than his father.

That all saying if Vergil is his son. I mean being Vergil's son could mean anything. It could mean he was man made maybe he was created via test tube by some random scientist or by a demon/sorcerer using magic (he could be like Trish) or Vergil sexed someone up.

He has to be someone's kid and since he looks like Dante and Dante and Vergil are identical twins and he can't be Dante's son unless Dante had a drunken fling when he was like 16-17..maybe 15 and has a kid he never heard of.

Plus having a kid so he could be more like his dad makes sense for Vergil's character.

Nero,"So why did you leave behind."

Nero,"But Sparda passed away you gave me up to a religious cult who tried to sacrifice me and rule the world."

Vergil,"Well and it made you stronger as well as get laid by that banging Kyrie chick. Best.Dad.Ever."

This made me laugh lol

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Sparda is a good mystery, but he's such a mystery. Don't you sometimes feel like they just couldn't be bothered to think of anything to say about him in the series, even throw us a bit more than some tiny scraps? I wouldn't want to know everything about him, I like some mystery, but I'd like to know more than the tiny amount we do. Same with Eva. We know even less about her.

I can't count Trish as being anything like her, I see Trish as a reconstruction without Eva's memory. I'd like to know a bit more about the real Eva... or more about the major war between humans and demons in the past in which Sparda was some kind of hero, maybe.

You've got a point, there. It wouldn't hurt for them to have shed a bit more light on Sparda. They wouldn't need to give us every last detail...but a bit more to understand the type of guy he was would have been nice.

You're probably right; Capcom probably couldn't have been bothered to think up more. They more or less used Sparda as a springboard for Dante's story. Not necessarily a bad thing since Dante's past is the reason behind his vocation as a devil hunter-but as his father, Sparda deserves a bit more coverage.

Also agreed on the whole Eva/Trish thing. It actually bugs me when people say Trish is cloned from Eva, so therefore any romance would be gross. Funny, I don't recall Mundus actually taking traces of Eva's DNA to make Trish. What I do remember is him creating Trish in Eva's likeness. No matter how alike they look, they're very different, personality-wise. Trish's character doesn't fill us in on anything to do with Eva at all, really. I often wonder what she must have been like. We can only speculate from what little info they have given us.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium

Nero,"So why did you leave behind."

I agree with your point. Lol, the imagined convo between them in awesome. I wish I could hit the like button more, here.

Top Bottom