• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Another Look At Dante

Noel

Hi! I'm new here. Excuse me for giving my 2 cents also.

To me there's no denying that the major difference between the latest Dante and Dante from the previous Devil may cry is the drastic change to the design. That said, each Devil may cry game have also change its art design. It just depends which design you prefer(I prefer Dante more grounded look in DmC and DMC3).

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Hmm... can't really say much on that. The story just says that he became a legend. I'm assuming that its one of those times where stories pop up shortly after a person's death.

On another note, I'm starting to get the sense that most of this really goes back to what Berto and I have said about the DMCs being reboots of DMC 1. If Capcom ever acknowledges this viewpoint, it could ultimately get rid of all of the series' inconsistencies.
If you insist on ignoring any canon that contradicts your theory there is no point in continuing this discussion. If you only acknowledge one game in a series with four games, an anime, a two volume manga and three novels. you can claim anything.

Railazel

If you insist on ignoring any canon that contradicts your theory there is no point in continuing this discussion. If you only acknowledge one game in a series with four games, an anime, a two volume manga and three novels. you can claim anything.

First of all, it's most of what I have been saying isn't theoretical. The only thing that can only be considered a theory is what I said about the games being reboots of DMC 1, and that has already been disproven. So my thinking so is really more along the lines of an opinion on how I view the games and how they connect. Everything else is from canon information.

Speaking of which, I'm not ignoring any canon. You have to remember that most of the canon contradicts or is inconsistent with itself, which only brings to question which parts are right and which ones are wrong. Any theory on how to reconcile these inconsistencies is nothing more than just a theory. Therefore, me "acknowleding" DMC 1 is just me holding it up as a canonical standard. For example, DMC 1 says that Sparda was the sword Dante got from his father while DMC 3 says that it was Rebellion that was given to Dante and that he got Sparda after fighting Vergil for it. Now there are theories that mend this disagreement but there's no in- game info in DMC 1 that says that he ever fought Vergil before DMC 1 or that Sparda had any special use other than being a weapon. This obviously indicates that the canon of DMC 3 wasn't considered during DMC 1's development beyond what the two games agree with. Furthermore, DMC 3 disregards what DMC 1 says about Sparda e.g. its ability to transform when the Amulets are together (in DMC 3, Arkham simply turned into Sparda but the sword didn't change at all). So if I disregard anything from any other part of the series, it's because it contradicts with the canon of DMC 1. This is, of course, not saying that some of DMC 3 can't be a part of Dante's backstory. Him stopping Arkham from opening Temem- ni- Gru can be considered a mission he went on when he was younger and thus that much can considered canonical.

However, I would prefer to take DMC 3 in all its entirety and not just some parts of it, so I'll just consider it a seperate story of its own much like I'm doing with DmC. If that's wrong, then forgive me for having a viewpoint that I think makes more sense than just considering everything in the series as canon and accepting the plotholes that come along with them.

That said, each Devil may cry game have also change its art design. It just depends which design you prefer(I prefer Dante more grounded look in DmC and DMC3).

Welcome to the forums and that's a nice way to put things. DMC has always changed its design to draw up different appeals. Capcom thought DMC 2 Dante's darker and quieter personality would make him cooler. Then they thought making a flashy, young Dante would be cool in DMC 3. DMC 4 was supposed to repeat the appeal DMC 3 drew up. So saying that each game has its own unique style makes sense.

Top Bottom