• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Another bit of info on DmC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Another article about DmC.
This time, no one seems to have a clue whether its a prequel, sequel, reboot or spin-off

Reference to Vergil in it too apparantly

Heavenly Sword developer does DmC Devil May Cry

UK company Ninja Theory, makers of Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, have been named as the developer for Capcom's new Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 release DmC: Devil May Cry.
Although a teaser trailer has been released details are a bit thin on the ground and it's not clear if the game is a reboot, sequel or spin-off. The approach certainly seems quite different, with a dark haired, slightly emo-looking Dante and a slower pace of action than usual for the series.

In other words Capcom seem to be trying to Westernise it, or as they put it: 'This 'Devil May Cry DNA' remains but is now injected with a dark and brutal gameplay that promises to redefine the franchise.'

The graphics certainly seem good though and we like the look of Dante's extending sword/whip weapon. According to Capcom's blurb the game is, 'set against a contemporary backdrop' and 'will depict a duplicitous world where nothing is ever as it seems and the line between good and evil is constantly blurred.'

'Spurred into action by the promises of a trusted relation, Dante bursts into this world intent on revenge at any cost,' they add - in what could be a reference to Dante's brother Vergil.

'DmC will retain the series’ signature mix of sword and gunplay but add additional weapons,' they add. 'All new powers and a revitalised gameplay system as players encounter the game’s devilish mix of enemies and navigate the rich, interactive environment.'

Previously all the Devil May Cry games were created internally by Capcom themselves, although series creator Hideki Kamiya left the company in 2006 to co-found PlatinumGames. There he worked on the thematically similar, and to be honest much better, Bayonetta.

Capcom has repeatedly stated that its intention is to hand off sequels of already established franchises to Western developers, while leaving the work of creating original titles to its Japanese studios.

Vampi

That's an assumption from the person who wrote the article about Vergil. Its not from Capcom themselves. I've seen this same info before, and that thing about Vergil is not included in any of the other sites.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Good find. The official guys in TGS 2010 actually said that this game is a reboot, although this makes me unsure of what is this DmC game about.

I don't know if Capcom's move of leaving their established franchises like Resident Evil series, Mega Man series, Devil May Cry series, etc to Western developers, but from my understanding, it is an obvious bad move for Capcom. However, I have still hopes for this DmC to be a potential great action game and a worthy entry in DMC series.

Rep to you for finding good info. :D

Chrysander

Western developers... pretty much all suck, I'm sorry, but they do. There's a reason why these franchises are so good in the first place, and it's not a coincidence that they come out of Japan, so many good things come out of there, there aren't that many fantasy games that stand out from the West, mainly driving and FPS.

Vampi

Not all of them suck. Vigil Games, the makers of Darksiders, made a fantastic game. Sony Santa Monica the makers of God of War make a good game. Mercury Steam the people who are doing Castlevania Lords of Shadows looks to make a really epic Castlevania. You should see their recent Castlevania trailer to see how a good collaboration between a western and eastern developer should be.

We can't generalize that all Western Developers suck. Sum Eastern developers suck as well. Its the people who make them that either determine if the game sucks or not.

Chrysander

yeah I said pretty much all suck, I like Dead Space and Manhunt, there are exceptions. But most of the really special stuff in gaming seems to originate from Japan. FPS and driving seems to come from the West more.

moseslmpg

Chrys, that statement is blatantly untrue. There are plenty of good western developers, although you may personally not like their games. Western and Eastern developers just hve different philosophies, inspiration, etc. Although I feel Eastern developers have more of a sense of creative freedom due to their environment, it doesn't make their games automatically better nor does it make Western games worse.

Chrysander

sure it is all personal opinion, what you individually get out of games and all that, just because I think they suck doesn't mean they "do", games are like art and music in that respect

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
Depends on the series Capcom wants to outsource...it was a bad job to let DmC get to a western developer and so will Megaman and Sengoku BASARA.Other games like MonHun,RE and Street Fighter among others would work great with a the correct western developer.I mean imagine Ninja Theory and MonHun.THAT would be awesome.Or say...*can't remember title,but it's an action game* to Beenox or Mercury Stream.Awesome!

Anyway,thanks for the find VB.

Goldendriger

Yeah, i hate to generalise but whenever a western company gets an eastern games go ahead to try their hand at it, it'll blow and hard.

Look at Resident Evil, 4 was different but it let the orginal atmosphere go and took on an action style, and then came Resident Evil 5...which was Resident Evil 4 plus a new graphics. But i think that if Ninja dudes previous games are anything to go off, it'll be good. But not as good as the DMC well all know and love, (Oh how i wish for them to make me eat my words) but eastern characters are more varied than western, almost every popular (Or at least well selling) game in the west is a brown haired guy with emotional issues, with a tan who hits the gym too much, (Resident Evil 5, the guy from uncharted and the list goes on) but can you think of anyone else like Dante? a smooth pimp-daddy, who can kick your ass as many ways as he can insult it without getting annoying? who has more than enough skills to back up his words? even by appearence alone, he's kinda unique. *Slight rant over*

Asmodaius

Goldendriger;274292 said:
Yeah, i hate to generalise but whenever a western company gets an eastern games go ahead to try their hand at it, it'll blow and hard.

Look at Resident Evil, 4 was different but it let the orginal atmosphere go and took on an action style, and then came Resident Evil 5...which was Resident Evil 4 plus a new graphics. But i think that if Ninja dudes previous games are anything to go off, it'll be good. But not as good as the DMC well all know and love, (Oh how i wish for them to make me eat my words) but eastern characters are more varied than western, almost every popular (Or at least well selling) game in the west is a brown haired guy with emotional issues, with a tan who hits the gym too much, (Resident Evil 5, the guy from uncharted and the list goes on) but can you think of anyone else like Dante? a smooth pimp-daddy, who can kick your ass as many ways as he can insult it without getting annoying? who has more than enough skills to back up his words? even by appearence alone, he's kinda unique. *Slight rant over*

Dante is unique compared to western culture heroes, yes... But when compared to Asian culture heroes, every third character is white haired, a smartass, wears long coats to look cool etc.

However, I understand your concern with other series becoming westernized, such as Resident Evil. The fifth title was more action-based and less horror-themed which took it away from what the series was originally known for.

Devil May Cry is already action-based! We have yet to see any gameplay footage, so none of us can be sure about how it is going to be, but I don't think they will make drastic changes of it, but rather try and expand it and have it evolve.

Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom