• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Anime/Manga recommendations!

Meg

I did this with books before. Basically, we each post what animes and mangas we like and give one another recommendations based on what we like. I'll go first. :D

Anime:
Tiger & Bunny
Tiger-and-Bunny.jpg

Bleach
Bleach-bleach-anime-369428_1200_850.jpg

Hikaru no Go
key_art_hikaru_no_go.jpg

Attack on Titan
AttackOnTitan.jpg

Manga:
Bleach

Death Note (I'm planning on watching the anime soon)
Death-Note-death-note-32414079-1280-1024.jpg

Okay, now you go! :D

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
You will all hate me after this...

Anime; after listing some, I realized that I haven't watched/finished most of these. They are, however, interesting and I won't recommend anything I don't know some things about - seeing an image, listening to a song, etc., are things won't count to "some things". Basically if have seen many clips or read a whole ton on them, then I will recommend them:
Clannad (I haven't finished this)
Hyouka
Technolyze
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
Ruruoni Kenshin (I remember watching some of this)
Angel Beats (Have not watched; just seen clips especially the funnies and the sad parts)
Berserk
Yu Yu Hakusho (Yay, childhood memories!)
Welcome to the NHK (This changed my life, man! You don't know! You know nothing! *foams from mouth*)
Minami-ke (Don't ask why or how; I just find it heartwarming and funny)
Tamako Market (See above)
Speed Grapher (Haven't seen it; read stuff about it; I find it interesting)
Monster
Ergo Proxy (People mentioned this a lot when they were discussing Texhnoloze)
Sankarea (It has an unique take on zombies)
Hellsing
Chunnibyou Demo Koi ga ****ai aka Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia (I don't remember how I came across this)
Seitokai Yakuindomo (If you like innuendos left and right, then this might be for you)
Danshi Kokosei no Nichijo aka Daily Lives of Highschool Boys (It's funny; trust me)
Baccano
Durarara!!
Ghost in the Shell
Darker than Black
Spiral
Case Closed
Multiple Personality Detective Psycho (The title alone lets you know this is a really messed up and disturbing anime. I'm scared of even watching or reading it)
Dragon Ball (Obligatory)
Kurozuka (Something about vampires, decapitation, and the quest for an immortal loved one)
Kami-sama no Memo-cho aka Heaven's Memo Pad (It seems interesting with people solving crimes and whatnot)
Yami to Boshi to Hon no Tabibito (It's a yuri anime where a girl travels across worlds to find her adopted sister who turns out to be something "celestial". Don't judge me)
Devil May Cry (Why the hell not?)
Claymore
Black Lagoon
Steins;Gate

Manga; pretty much anything I listed would be okay except for Welcome to the NHK and Texhnolzye which was an original anime series; there was no manga to begin with. Welcome to the NHK is weird. At first it was a novel and some of the more "sensitive" things were taken out when the anime was made. The manga is an adaption that deviates from the novel especially with the ending and the personalities of the characters, however, that doesn't change the messages Welcome to the NHK is trying to get across, but it does make a main character seem "off" compared to the novel and anime.

Original Video Animations/OVAs and animated films:
Sword of the Stranger
Any Studio Ghibli film
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
5 Centimeters Per Second
The Place Promised in Our Early Days

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Anime:
Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal
13160.jpg

FATE ZERO
29490.jpg

Code Geass
9391.jpg

Garden of Sinners
21741.jpg

Baccano!
14547.jpg

From the new world
36775.jpg

Steins; Gate
29357.jpg

Hunter X Hunter(2011
37973.jpg

Psycho Pass
37833.jpg

Black Lagoon
25596.jpg

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
42265.jpg

Summer wars
18933.jpg

Wolf Children
52949.jpg

Hellsing Ultimate
7333.jpg

Manga:
BERSERK

26544.jpg

VAGABOND
51821.jpg

Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan
66993.jpg

88399.jpg

FrostFire

Nymph of Shadows
Anime:
Bleach (though it's long and i havent finished it)
Fullmetal Alchemist/FMA
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (follows the manga which i have begun to read)
Soul Eater
Ouran High School Host Club
FLCL/Fooly Cooly (confusing as heck but i loooove it)
Deadman Wonderland
DRRR!!!/ Durarara!!!
Free!
Kekkaishi
Black Butler
Baka and Test

Manga:
Death Note (have yet to watch the anime)
DRRR!!!/Durarara!!! (makes much more sense than the anime)
Blue Exorcist (more for concept than anything i havent finished it or made it very far)
Bleach
FMA
Kekkaishi

aaaand that's all i can think of at the moment

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I'm gonna try to name stuff that hasn't been mentioned for the most part and some of my personal favorites.

Anime
-Attack on Titan
-Gantz
-Fooly Cooly
-Elfen Lied
-MM!
-Outlaw Star
-Akira
-Nerima Daikon Brothers
-Kodocha
-Tenchi Muyo/Universe/Tokyo
-Full Metal Panic/ Full Metal Panic Fummofu/ Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid
-Deadman Wonderland
-Cowboy Bebop
-Bible Black :shifty:

Manga
-Love Hina
-Negima
-Monster Musume ;)

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Any Studio Ghibli film

No. Studio Ghibli has a few stinkers. Like Tales of Earth Sea and Ponyo >_<

My favorites from Studio Ghibli are Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Nausicaa of The Valley of The WInd.

Princess Mononoke is my favorite hands down though. One of my favorite films of all time.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.( Anime, Manga, and Light novels and the Haruhi-Chan and Yuki-Chan spinoff manga)
Azumanga Daioh (anime and manga)
K-On! (anime and manga)
Lucky Star (anime and manga)
Hidamari Sketch (anime and manga)
Mahou Sensei Negima (both anime, all of the original manga and as much of Negima!? Neo as i can find)
Bleach (anime and manga)
Naruto (manga, most of the anime, some of the games)
Full Metal Alchemist (manga and first anime)
Blood + (anime and manga including Blood + adagio manga)
Blood C (anime and some of the manga)
Code Geass (anime and manga including. Nightmare of Nunnaly, Suzaku of the Counterattack, Tales of an Alternate Shogunate and Renya of Darkness spinoff manga)
Claymore ( anime and manga)
Devil May Cry (anime, manga, the first two light novels and all games)
Inuyasha ( manga and most of the anime)
Ranma 1/2 ( some of the manga and a few episodes of the anime)
Soul Eater ( manga and anime including as much of the Soul Eater Not spinoff as i can find.)
Yu-Gi-Oh ( original manga and both anime based off of it and parts of the GX and 5Ds spinoffs)
Pokemon ( parts of the anime, gold and silver games)
Digimon ( all of the first 3 or 4 anime and parts of some of the later ones and part of one of the games)
Bakugan ( most of the anime i think,)
Beyblade ( most of the first anime i think its been a while)

and probably half a dozen harem manga that i don't really remember ( before i was aware that there are manga and anime where cute girls gather for reasons other then obsessing over boring ridiculously average guys.)

i am probably forgetting a lot. i have watched a lot of anime and read a lot of manga and liked almost all of it. my favorite genre is Moe slice of life but i don't think i have ever encountered any genre i don't like anything in.

DanteStyle

但丁是我的
Black Butler
The Infernal Devices - Clockwork Angel

The best manga to take on as a noob. There's too much hype around Naruto and Bleach so I'll probably read those when I'm in my 40's and the hype has died.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
No. Studio Ghibli has a few stinkers. Like Tales of Earth Sea and Ponyo >_<

My favorites from Studio Ghibli are Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Nausicaa of The Valley of The WInd.

Princess Mononoke is my favorite hands down though. One of my favorite films of all time.

They're still decent though from what I heard. I guess it's like saying some films of Alfred Hitchcock are bad, some books of Ernest Hemingway are bad, or some games of The Legend of Zelda are bad. They're decent or even good compared to other things that shouldn't be mentioned... Ever.

I've only seen Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, Howl's Moving Castle, and maybe Kiki's Delivery Service. I'd like to see all of Studio Ghibli's films though even if they're not as good in their standards.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
You shouldn't even bother. They're pretty awful. Well, Bleach is the shiniest of the two turds but it is highly overrated. Yea, I would just say don't waste your time but whatever.

you know the definition of popularity is that something is liked by large numbers of people. which means that if something is popular then it posses traits a lot of people would like. which in addition means that unless you can confirm that someones preferences are identical to yours it is unreasonable to conclude that they wouldn't like something popular because you personally dislike it. minority opinions are not less important then majority opinions but they are less likely to be shared by others and that is a factor that needs to be considered when making recommendations.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
anime:
*AO NO exorcist
*devil may cry
*akira
*soul eater

manga:
*soul eater

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I'm not much into anime or manga. I only watch when I'm bored and find something interesting but me personally I started reading this one series called Pandora Hearts.

mangaabyss_pandora_hearts_chp_5.ph_vol_2_chp_5_cover00.jpg

AND I FREAKING LOVE IT!!!

I strongly recommend it. The art style for the characters may be distasteful to some (I don't like it at times) but the writing, plot, characters, characterizations, story, and world building is absolutely beautiful and practically every character matters even characters who seem irrelevant ends up playing HUGE roles in the plot and the plot twists.....Oh God don't get me started on the plot twists...It hoists some of the best plot twists I've ever seen in any manga or anime and not only that but the sheer amounts of plot twists that happens are jaggering by time I reached volume 16 I dropped the book and couldn't compute what the F*CK happened.

Its not action based but its more story and character driven but it does have some action in it.

ITS A MUST READ............don't watch the anime it SUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSS!

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
I'm not much into anime or manga. I only watch when I'm bored and find something interesting but me personally I started reading this one series called Pandora Hearts.

mangaabyss_pandora_hearts_chp_5.ph_vol_2_chp_5_cover00.jpg

AND I FREAKING LOVE IT!!!

I strongly recommend it. The art style for the characters may be distasteful to some (I don't like it at times) but the writing, plot, characters, characterizations, story, and world building is absolutely beautiful and practically every character matters even characters who seem irrelevant ends up playing HUGE roles in the plot and the plot twists.....Oh God don't get me started on the plot twists...It hoists some of the best plot twists I've ever seen in any manga or anime and not only that but the sheer amounts of plot twists that happens are jaggering by time I reached volume 16 I dropped the book and couldn't compute what the F*CK happened.

Its not action based but its more story and character driven but it does have some action in it.

ITS A MUST READ............don't watch the anime it SUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSS!

i have considered reading that one but it wasn't a high priority. looking at the completely adorable back of the cover you posted a picture of it is now a higher priority than it was before. ( oh and the actual recommendation is convincing too). however i will be ignoring your suggestion to avoid the anime unless i don't like the manga.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
i have considered reading that one but it wasn't a high priority. looking at the completely adorable back of the cover you posted a picture of it is now a higher priority than it was before. ( oh and the actual recommendation is convincing too). however i will be ignoring your suggestion to avoid the anime unless i don't like the manga.

Hehh...the anime isn't terrible but like the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime (not Brotherhood) to manga (Brotherhood) the manga is better since the anime ended extremely early with a half-assed and rushed ending.

Actually I got into the series by coincidence. The summer theme at the Teen Room of my Public Library was Alice in Wonderland and there was book reading competition to see who can read the most books, visual novels, mangas, etc and my library had volumes of 1-16 of this manga and and one of the characters name was Alice and she was a bunny so I decided "Hmmm...what the hell"......and reading it. I liked the fancy Victorian art style and thought it was cool especially with all the Alice in Wonderland references (AND THERE IS A LOT OF THEM) but soon I don't know where but I feel in love with the series after plot twist #12 (this was around volume 3-5) and couldn't stop reading it (volume 14-15 was just amazing). I stopped at volume 16 because I couldn't go on. Its sooo good its hard to keep reading. I'm just processing what the hell happened and have the hype die down so I can read volume 17 with a clear mind as they explain

WHAT THE F*CK JUST HAPPENED!?!?!?!?!

in volume 16....as well as wait for volume 17 and 18 to come to the library. I told my teen librarian about it and although she doesn't like or care about manga or anime she does find it interesting due to the Alice in Wonderland references so I asked for her to bring in copies of the DMC3 mangas since those also has Alice in Wonderland reference but it seemed those don't count since they're not young adult (teen) novels but are adult novels (I guess it was due to all the blood and nudity) so they didn't count the Devil May Cry mangas/novels.

Top Bottom