• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Anime becoming mainstream?

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
So what are your thoughts? Should anime become mainstream? What are the things that needs to be consider for it to happen? Share your thoughts below.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
its kinda bittersweet for me. if anime became mainstream, then i would be feel less awkward trying to explain things or why i think of things a certain way or why i think a certain way.
but then there is gonna be a huge uproar with various religious groups and political groups etc.
but i still don't think anime will ever become a mainstream thing. hell. i mean, one can argue that a person said the same thing about comics, gothic literature, and sci-fi, but still if you try to explain those things to the general audience, they'll just turn tail and call you a nerd or a hipster. so i honestly don't think anime/manga will ever be a "mainstream" thing

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Well, in this day and age, "nerd" is kind of a respected title. Hipster is just awkward as hell, though...

If it became mainstream, I might have to look for other kinds of entertainment, though. I usually end up disliking mainstream stuff because no one shuts the foof up about it...

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
It isn't mainstream already? Anime is a pretty popular branch of nerd culture which is the dominating one. I mean it don't you guys remember how popular Pokemon, DBZ, and other 90s Japanese cartoons made their impact here. That Chinpokemon South Park episode was about the newfound anime fad that struck big mainly around the 90s. It's already been mainstream. Nerds are mainstream.

No longer are we the pariahs of the social circles. Superhero films are the biggest blockbusters. Everyone goes to Comic Con every year to promote their new stuff. Doctor Who is a popular show. Look at that again, Doctor Who is a popular show. Nuff said really.

Nerds have won. We are the mainstream whether or not you want to admit it or not. I personally never worry about what's mainstream and sh!t because if I like it I like it. It could be the most popular thing ever but if I enjoy it then I won't let a large number of people who also enjoy it kill my enjoyment.

Like what you like. Sport it with pride. It's not the niche hobby this guy is talking about.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I think it has been mainstream for a while. I remember back in highschool a few groups of people used to plast anime theme tunes into the common room and no one seemed too bothered by it. And when you get to university, there are clubs for anime, manga and Japanese culture.
I also see loads of people, adults and teenagers, browsing the large manga and anime sections of Forbidden planet stores. And you can find manga on the shelves at regular book stores too, right by the DC and Marvel comics.

The only thing that bothers me is when you get people thinking they can speak Japanese, but all the know is neko, kawaii and other obscure or useless words. The worst are the girls, who put on these really annoying high pitched voices.>_<

Heck, Japanese culture and anime are so popular that they did skits for it, parodying Westerners who are into Japanese culture....I have seen people like this in real life...be afraid...be very afraid:lol:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The only thing that bothers me is when you get people thinking they can speak Japanese, but all the know is neko, kawaii and other obscure or useless words. The worst are the girls, who put on these really annoying high pitched voices.>_<

Heck, Japanese culture and anime are so popular that they did skits for it, parodying Westerners who are into Japanese culture....I have seen people like this in real life...be afraid...be very afraid:lol:
[]

That be them weeaboos and oh I hate them too.

That's a pretty funny skit though duh-du.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Well, in this day and age, "nerd" is kind of a respected title...
ONLINE maybe....IRL friends laugh at you for being a "Nerd" or a "Geek".

I don't think it'll be mainstream anytime soon >_> at least as long as it sticks to Japanese teen demographic,i find myself neglecting most of the new age anime anyway because they don't appeal to me.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Interesting. I don't know much about the popularity of anime in the west and many have claimed that it was pretty niche there.
However, anime is really really popular here in my country.

I just went to an anime convention Saturday that had over a thousand people in attendance. And to think Mechacon is also not even considered one of the biggest anime conventions around. It sure is popular.

DanteStyle

但丁是我的
It isn't mainstream already? Anime is a pretty popular branch of nerd culture which is the dominating one. I mean it don't you guys remember how popular Pokemon, DBZ, and other 90s Japanese cartoons made their impact here. That Chinpokemon South Park episode was about the newfound anime fad that struck big mainly around the 90s. It's already been mainstream. Nerds are mainstream.

No longer are we the pariahs of the social circles. Superhero films are the biggest blockbusters. Everyone goes to Comic Con every year to promote their new stuff. Doctor Who is a popular show. Look at that again, Doctor Who is a popular show. Nuff said really.

Nerds have won. We are the mainstream whether or not you want to admit it or not. I personally never worry about what's mainstream and sh!t because if I like it I like it. It could be the most popular thing ever but if I enjoy it then I won't let a large number of people who also enjoy it kill my enjoyment.

Like what you like. Sport it with pride. It's not the niche hobby this guy is talking about.

You sound like anonymous........

Also *restrained fangirl squee* is that who I think it is in your signature photo?:w00t:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
You sound like anonymous........

Also *restrained fangirl squee* is that who I think it is in your signature photo?:w00t:

Eww Anonymous >_<

And yes. I met Johnny and morphed with him. That was after seeing Eyeshine live where I was right next to the stage.
My friend filmed this behind me. I was practically in front of Ginny (the bass player)

The camera straightens out a couple minutes in.

DanteStyle

但丁是我的
Eww Anonymous >_<

And yes. I met Johnny and morphed with him. That was after seeing Eyeshine live where I was right next to the stage.
My friend filmed this behind me. I was practically in front of Ginny (the bass player)

The camera straightens out a couple minutes in.

I'M SO JEALOUS RAWWWWWRR!!!!!!!!

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
anybody who is not aware that anime has been mainstream for a while need to think of 2 anime.

Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon.

Those 2 animes where HUGE in the 90s and early 2000s and it pushed anime directly into the mainstream and has been referenced in many mainstream tv shows such as South Park, Drawn Together, Futurama, Family Guy, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and the list goes on.

Anime has been mainstream for many years here in the US and abroad as well.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I'M SO JEALOUS RAWWWWWRR!!!!!!!!

Be jelly. Look who else I got to meet.
945200_432487390194947_189649269_n.jpg

1240453_432487510194935_806337078_n.jpg

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
i hate you right now...maybe forever...
Ok, I'll be honest. While the Power Rangers are great, and I even had a blast playing the SNES game (on a site, just search for it), I kind of don't really care about all that (unless maybe it's Dan Southworth or David DeLautour).

I do however, care about JYB. At first, I didn't care about him either (and didn't really like him in DMC4) -- but then I played P4... and my life changed forever.

The fact that he (SPOILERS) played both the hero and the villain at the same time was pure genius, imho. The villain especially, was very devious, and extremely enjoyable to watch.

I just wish he was a playable character in P4 Arena. That would have really made my day. But no, instead they put in Junpei and Yukari (which is fine, but it's no replacement for the villain himself).

Top Bottom