• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

After DmC, you guys want a DmC2 or a DMC5

DmC2, DMC5, or something different

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChaserTech

This forum is greatly biased on DmC anyway so i'm not surprised that many people will prefer DmC.
I prefer both.

What's sad is that I never heard many complaints from people about Dante's character when DMC4 came out. I mainly heard complaints about Nero and how you didn't play as Dante though. Then this new DmC comes along and people are exclaiming how this DmC is already better than the old ones and how they didn't like the original series to begin with, when they don't know the story at all.

I still stick with my opinion about being curious with a Sparda game. It would be interesting to see one. But as for a DmC game, I'll just have to see what it's all about before I say that this DmC will save Devil May Cry as a whole.

And of course, I want a DMC5. If Capcom would just improve the story, add a bit more to the gameplay as well. And as far as I'm concerned, the gameplay does not need to be changed at all. Seeing how most moves that exist in DMC are recycled animations from previous games. But Capcom can still add onto it.

DarkSlayer54

What's sad is that I never heard many complaints from people about Dante's character when DMC4 came out. I mainly heard complaints about Nero and how you didn't play as Dante though. Then this new DmC comes along and people are exclaiming how this DmC is already better than the old ones and how they didn't like the original series to begin with, when they don't know the story at all.
I think it's mainly because this new DmC is making people think more about the previous games. Personally, it's made me realize just how different each game really is. Which is also why I accept DmC now... the only differences between DMC and DmC are changes like having Dante be a Nephilm now instead of a half-human half-demon. It bumbs me out... but I'd rather put up with it than have another DMC4.

I still dislike the clothing to both Dante and Vergil... but it's made me think back to DMC2 and how different Dante's clothing was in that. I kind of feel like each DMC is a different take, or twist to DMC1.

ChaserTech

I think it's mainly because this new DmC is making people think more about the previous games. Personally, it's made me realize just how different each game really is. Which is also why I accept DmC now... the only differences between DMC and DmC are changes like having Dante be a Nephilm now instead of a half-human half-demon. It bumbs me out... but I'd rather put up with it than have another DMC4.

I still dislike the clothing to both Dante and Vergil... but it's made me think back to DMC2 and how different Dante's clothing was in that. I kind of feel like each DMC is a different take, or twist to DMC1.

Speaking of costumes, I wonder if alternate costumes will be available at all. I assume it'll either be unlockable or DLC related.

Breaking8ad

i am the danger, i am the one who knocks!!

I still stick with my opinion about being curious with a Sparda game. It would be interesting to see one. But as for a DmC game, I'll just have to see what it's all about before I say that this DmC will save Devil May Cry as a whole.

And of course, I want a DMC5. If Capcom would just improve the story, add a bit more to the gameplay as well. And as far as I'm concerned, the gameplay does not need to be changed at all. Seeing how most moves that exist in DMC are recycled animations from previous games. But Capcom can still add onto it.
I would have to say that I would want a DmC 2. Now, it isn't because I am biased. It is because I know that DMC has reached it's maximum potential. The original story was good on it's own merit, don't get me wrong. It was epic at times as well but also very simplified and predictable. This DmC could very well be very predictable, but it gives a fresh new breath onto something that was already growing stale.

Having played 1-4 at least 10 times through on each (about 40-50 times on 3) I can say this with confidence that DMC reached the end of it's line with DMC 4. Dante went to hell in 2 and left a HUGE gap for 4 that was never touched upon fully. It was leaving such a huge gaping hole in the story because of it and that is why people began to disregard 2's existence completely. Really, beyond Sparda, how many more games could they have made from the old storyline? Dante going to hell would have been nice, but there really is no reason to even consider it because it basically never happened in the first place thanks to 4.

This is all just my opinion. If they made a 5 I would strongly hope they touched on a few plot holes the story had, worked on making changes to Dante other than giving him some scruff and making him look older then calling it a day. Because if they didn't it would be a sore waste of time touching the game. So I am sticking with a DmC 2 for now. Better to start over from scratch if you ask me.

Speaking of costumes, I wonder if alternate costumes will be available at all. I assume it'll either be unlockable or DLC related.

In the live Dev Demo they talked about alternate costumes being in the game, they said there will be but no original dante costume.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
~gets out ten cents~

What? I got more than just two to put in on this subject.

So, I have noticed the unsavory turn on the classic series that a lot of self-proclaimed loyalists to the franchise have taken, claiming that DMC is dead and DmC, the alternate universe series, will reign the title. It may end up being more coherent and more cohesive, I will grant. Western storytelling tends to focus on continuity and such, while Japanese does not. But that doesn't mean in the end it will be better. The entire fact of changing Eva from a human who garnered Sparda's love into an ANGEL already speaks volumes of a lack of originallity; it removes any relatable factor in Dante and Vergil's heritage by making them in no way human. This move seems to be for the sheer intent of making them "super special and totally beyond human", which makes them less likeable and less likely to find something to care about. In terms of Dante's personality, I have played the demo, watched the trailers...and I'm not finding much I do like about him. In fact, I'm more interested in Vergil, because he has complexities in his character from what we've seen, and I'm not sure we can just assume that he's going to be just like his Cambian counterpart. Honestly, I would like if NT infact made "Vergil's Downfall" as a red herring and he does not in fact fall to Hell's corruptions, it would be a good contrast.

Perhaps the story may end up being better told than the original DMC, but to be honest, it's trying to improve on the original, while the original is what set the bar, and even if something might exceed it's aspects...it will never displace it. And anyone who says it will...well, not to be a jerk, but it's just finding a new shiney instead of valuing both for what they are.

Paexie

Perhaps the story may end up being better told than the original DMC, but to be honest, it's trying to improve on the original, while the original is what set the bar, and even if something might exceed it's aspects...it will never displace it. And anyone who says it will...well, not to be a jerk, but it's just finding a new shiney instead of valuing both for what they are.

Yeah, you're jumping the shark a bit on the fact that we don't know who this game will play out it's cards, but your opinion is just as valid.

DMC didn't come up with the archetypes it's known for, you know? On the surface, Dante is very generic almost cardboard cut-out of what we've come to know as a classic hero by japanese standards (even in the late 80's because look at Sentai). His background has also been done before. It's what surrounds it that makes him unique. Hell, his story would have made no difference if he was angel/demon. Just make a few changes in dialogue and voila. Really, the whole human can be just as evil as demons and vice versa could still be told and, in a sense, add the moral and humanity to the character.

I haven't seen a successful story about a angel/demon hybrid, though. With immortals? Yes. With people that have absolutely no weaknesses? Yes. But the whole duality should be interesting on it's own if it weren't for the billions of horrible fanfics that play this card. I still have low expectations with this, but I haven't let the story explain all it's story related functions. I'm holding all of my horses.

Don't get your panties in a bunch about opinions such as "will replace x with x" they are just as stupid as "you're not a true geek/nerd/gamer/fan because x". Seriously.

Breaking8ad

i am the danger, i am the one who knocks!!
Yeah, you're jumping the shark a bit on the fact that we don't know who this game will play out it's cards, but your opinion is just as valid.

DMC didn't come up with the archetypes it's known for, you know? On the surface, Dante is very generic almost cardboard cut-out of what we've come to know as a classic hero by japanese standards (even in the late 80's because look at Sentai). His background has also been done before. It's what surrounds it that makes him unique. Hell, his story would have made no difference if he was angel/demon. Just make a few changes in dialogue and voila. Really, the whole human can be just as evil as demons and vice versa could still be told and, in a sense, add the moral and humanity to the character.

I haven't seen a successful story about a angel/demon hybrid, though. With immortals? Yes. With people that have absolutely no weaknesses? Yes. But the whole duality should be interesting on it's own if it weren't for the billions of horrible fanfics that play this card. I still have low expectations with this, but I haven't let the story explain all it's story related functions. I'm holding all of my horses.

Don't get your panties in a bunch about opinions such as "will replace x with x" they are just as stupid as "you're not a true geek/nerd/gamer/fan because x". Seriously.

I agree with this, there is no reason to say that DmC will not succeed at recreating and maybe even telling the original story just as well or even better. To go off and say that DmC will fail before it had even come out is like saying that Daniel Craig will never have a chance at being a better bond than sean connery

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium

Y'know, I actually had a bit of a rant about stuff like concepts, archetypes, the like a while back on my blog. Seems pretty applicable to what you're talking about. It's not about whether the concept is new or original, it's how you mold it into your own.

And yeah, I dunno where you've been looking, Dante Redgrave, because pretty much everyone I've seen here on this forum has a healthy respect for the classics, and some here are fans of the classics and are just on the fence about DmC, like Chaser. I can't speak for everyone, but in this regard, I know that I still love the classic DMC, but I love DmC just as much for its own merits.

MegaMad9

The Mad Man
THANK YOU.

Seriously, what bothers me the most is that everyone here acts like there's absolutely NO HOPE LEFT for the original series. Which is just ridiculous, to be quite frank. The foundation of this site was built upon THE ORIGINAL DEVIL MAY CRY. Not this DmC. What's it to you guys now, hm?

Out with the old, in with the new?

HA! Refuse to believe that. Honestly, DmC looks friggin FANTASTIC. But you mean to tell me that no one here would like to see more of Old Dante's demon slaying adventures? Come on! Regardless of whether you guys believe that he's 'corny', 'cheesy', or etc., Dante is an ICON to the gaming industry. He always has been, and always will be. DMC was genre defining, and you're perfectly okay with DmC REPLACING it? That to me is depressing. Nothing is more depressing than that...

I just want the old series back. I miss it so much. Dante, Vergil, Trish, Lady, and yes, you too Nero...You guys were great. You can thank Capcom for giving us such awesome characters, but you CANNOT thank them for taking them away and replacing them. If we could somehow keep DmC AND DMC, I'd be a-okay. But that isn't the case here.

The case here, is that members would rather pick ONE over the OTHER. DmC, clearly being the winner of choice. Why? Because apparently NT knows how to handle a story without creating plot holes in the process. That IS true. They excel at story. That means we should give up what we became fans of? We should forget about DMC, and just treat it as something to go back to when looking to visit "Memory Lane"? No. F*** no. To anyone who would diss the old series and characters and praise DmC's, this does not amuse me.

DmC has taken elements from DMC and expanded upon them. A lot of the traits New Dante has have been borrowed from the original Dante. Face the facts. Now, what would a DMC5 be like?

Its just hilarious to see people approving of New Dante yet still hating Nero. They're honestly no different! Nero is more human, if anything. (Don't cry that he was emo, because he is not. Honestly doubt that anyone who failed to save their love would just be like, "Cool!" and move on showing no emotion.) DMC5 could easily take place after DMC4, featuring Dante as the main protagonist again, with Nero, Lady, and Trish being supporting characters. Hell, make them playable. Possibly feature the return of Vergil as well. Bring back Mundus. Show how living in the Underworld is like. Give more emphasis on Dante's past.

In my HONEST opinion...The new elements, concepts, and emphasis on Dante's past in DmC, COULD'VE BEEN DONE IN A SEQUEL FOR THE OLD DMC SERIES. "Abandon all hope"? That should be a theme on DMC Forums. There are only a SELECT few here that would enjoy seeing a DMC5, myself included. Yes, let's face it, DMC2 ~kind of~ screwed the series over. It doesn't have a place in the story (chronologically). But guess what? Capcom THEMSELVES wanted fans to forget about DMC2! They don't even want to acknowledge it! IMPLYING that DMC2 could NOT get in the way of the series! So please, do not use DMC2 as a poor excuse for no DMC5...

I'm just saddened. If DmC2 really does happen before DMC5, I will be really disappointed. So will others. There will just be more shyitstorms, but you know what? I'm actually sane. DMC, you will always stay alive in MY heart, even if Capcom doesn't want to continue you.
It's not that we don't want a DMC5, it's that we want the original DMC series to die peacefully in it's sleep, on screaming like all of the passengers on the bus :)
In all seriousness, I would prefer DmC2 over DMC5 just because I hate to see good franchises be milked so much

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
DMC5 would definitely be my first choice.

Even if DmC ends up being a good game I still am a fan of the original version first and will thus want it to continue on instead of die away.

And the people who say the reason why they would not want a DMC5 because it would just be another story mess need to think about something for a sec, would it not be easy for them to hire NT to handle the story?

After all, story is apparently their strong point, and they have said before that they are very familiar with the history of DMC, so would it not be easy for them to make a coherent story in the original series?

I'd say yes.

DmC2 could come out AFTER DMC5 if you ask me.

I would love a game that explains how Dante become so cold and silent in DMC2 or a game that takes place after DMC2 that shows whether or not Dante got out of hell.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
And the people who say the reason why they would not want a DMC5 because it would just be another story mess need to think about something for a sec, would it not be easy for them to hire NT to handle the story?

After all, story is apparently their strong point, and they have said before that they are very familiar with the history of DMC, so would it not be easy for them to make a coherent story in the original series?

I'd love that too, but some fans will not like that idea because they'll think NT will F*ck it all up and say they'll "destroy" DMC.:ermm:

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I'd love that too, but some fans will not like that idea because they'll think NT will F*ck it all up and say they'll "destroy" DMC.:ermm:

Well I would trust NT over Capcom themselves granted they are telling the truth about themselves having a good understanding of the story of the original series.

Granted I would take Kamiya over them any day, but as far as choosing Capcom or NT for story I would go with NT hands down.

Capcom could handle the gameplay which I had no problem with at all.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I think I'd want to wait a little while longer for a DMC5, just to make sure Capcom gets all its douchebaggieness out of the way, so the game can actually have more quality to it than just being a cheap cash-in, like some of the their stuff has been lately.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
wow, people decided read something in my post entirely OPPOSITE of what I said...makes me wonder why I bothered...The entire point of my post was "you can't say one will be grander and outstrip the other, take them both at their own value." Apparently no one wanted to read that at all...

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
You made a bold claim that people latched onto, because it was wrong.

So, I have noticed the unsavory turn on the classic series that a lot of self-proclaimed loyalists to the franchise have taken, claiming that DMC is dead and DmC, the alternate universe series, will reign the title.

You said right there that so many here call themselves loyalists, and yet are essentially dumping the old for the new, which just isn't true :/

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
~gets out ten cents~

What? I got more than just two to put in on this subject.

So, I have noticed the unsavory turn on the classic series that a lot of self-proclaimed loyalists to the franchise have taken, claiming that DMC is dead and DmC, the alternate universe series, will reign the title. It may end up being more coherent and more cohesive, I will grant. Western storytelling tends to focus on continuity and such, while Japanese does not. But that doesn't mean in the end it will be better. The entire fact of changing Eva from a human who garnered Sparda's love into an ANGEL already speaks volumes of a lack of originallity; it removes any relatable factor in Dante and Vergil's heritage by making them in no way human. This move seems to be for the sheer intent of making them "super special and totally beyond human", which makes them less likeable and less likely to find something to care about. In terms of Dante's personality, I have played the demo, watched the trailers...and I'm not finding much I do like about him. In fact, I'm more interested in Vergil, because he has complexities in his character from what we've seen, and I'm not sure we can just assume that he's going to be just like his Cambian counterpart. Honestly, I would like if NT infact made "Vergil's Downfall" as a red herring and he does not in fact fall to Hell's corruptions, it would be a good contrast.

WTF is wrong with ur sig dude??!!!
It's giving me the creeps

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton
You made a bold claim that people latched onto, because it was wrong.

You said right there that so many here call themselves loyalists, and yet are essentially dumping the old for the new, which just isn't true :/

And what do you say for those fans who say Old DMC is crap and the New one is better then the original and those who like the original should get over the fact the Old DMC's dead?

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda

Please read the text you quoted carefully. Where did I state it was on these forums? I said I've seen a number of self-proclaimed loyalists who decided the new shiny is going to be for sure to blow the old classic out of the water for good, not that I was seeing people on these very forums do so. You put the words on my mouth of accusing this forum of such, I never said it.

But I may as well address it now, since Dusk Stalker did the same, I have seen some here say they're rather see the classic series lay and die, in this VERY THREAD. So...I think their words speak for themselves.

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
And what do you say for those fans who say Old DMC is crap and the New one is better then the original and those who like the original should get over the fact the Old DMC's dead?
Old DMC is dead, and DMC 4 killed it
if capcom announces that DMC 4 was not canon, then we have some hope

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Look i dont know if we should get a DmC2 because i dont know enough about DmC to say we need to see to another one.

But I dont want a DMC5 because i dont think capcom could pull it off because they dont know what to do with it. DMC4 felt stale, had problems that were preventable and a story that felt like a bad anime filler.

I came into the series with 3 loving the **** out of Dante and liking the potential he had but 4 and the anime took that potential and squandered it, making Dante a shell of what he once was. I dont know if Capcom could make it right.

The story of DMC is not a bad one, it just needs someone to give it some love which Capcom hasn't because most of the problems with the plot and its holes came about because they were too lazy to actually think a plot through.

Top Bottom