• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Advice for a new player

Hi everyone… my name is FireDancer95, and as you can tell by the title, I am quite new to the franchise.

I started playing the first game on the Switch, and I was wondering ( since the game is so old) if I am supposed to get a user manual for it. I downloaded the digital version on it, and even though I'm starting to get the hang of it, I still struggle to figure out how to completely navigate the game (I'm also new to hack and slash type of games anyway).

Am I supposed to figure it out as I go along? Are there any save points that I am able to go to as well?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Am I supposed to figure it out as I go along?
Well, yes. This game was a Resident Evil title and those were the kind of games where they drop you off somewhere and leave you to your own devices. You could learn to do things by trial and error and experimentation but now a days there are plenty of guides for this game. Whatever you'd like to know just ask.

Are there any save points that I am able to go to as well?
No. You can only save when you complete a mission. You can do a midlevel save through the select menu but that will still have you start at the beginning of the mission you saved at.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
No. You can only save when you complete a mission. You can do a midlevel save through the select menu but that will still have you start at the beginning of the mission you saved at.
It's been a while since I've had the time to play anything, but I've got a faint memory that in DMC1 or DMC3 (or in both of them) there actually are some save points? Or rather "respawn points". I'd call them "shrines" if I wasn't pretty sure I'm confusing them with Nioh.

At least I remember not having to start from very far away every time I died for Agni & Rudra in DMC3 :ROFL: And it was a long level, wasn't it?

For @FireDancer95 , if you meant "navigating" in terms of the game camera, well... the first game is pretty old and the camera angles take some time to get used to. But eventually it gets easier.

berto

I Saw the Devil
@therogis
In DMC1 you would re spawn right outside whatever room you died in if you had a yellow orb. If you ran out of those you’d have to load your last save file. With 3 that was the case if you selected Gold.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
@therogis
In DMC1 you would re spawn right outside whatever room you died in if you had a yellow orb. If you ran out of those you’d have to load your last save file. With 3 that was the case if you selected Gold.
Ah, I remember there being a difference with the usage of yellow orbs... Now it makes sense. Thanks for reminding me!

*takes a look of longing at my PS game shelf...*

@therogis
How do I navigate the menu? Cause it’s not letting me go to other options besides the map. For example, I can’t change my weapons cause I can’t go to “Items”.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, the menu is select or start/touchpad and you either switch taps by using the R1/L1 buttons or by pushing up till you highlight the taps and select them like that. The map has its own shortcut and I don't have the game in front of me but I'm pretty sure you can't access the rest of the menu like that. Could be wrong, though.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
How do I navigate the menu? Cause it’s not letting me go to other options besides the map. For example, I can’t change my weapons cause I can’t go to “Items”.
I can answer this because I had the same experience as a new player during PS2's heyday.

The DMC games are ported from the PlayStation 2 version which came out in early 2000's.

The games are basically RPG games with action as the main element. You upgrade your character as you go to the next area of the game. Upgrades are usually rewards at the end of levels.

So, if "items" are locked right now for you, you need to obtain some items. By the first level's end, items should be unlocked. If an item in that menu is locked, it means you haven't earned it yet, I say the same for moves, weapons, etc.

Basically; learn to love picking up new items, which is the point of DMC and like berto said, Resident Evil games.

Aurelius

If you purposely get yourself killed a few times, you will be given the opportunity to lowers the game’s difficulty setting to Easy Automatic. Unfortunately upon doing so, you miss out on learning the combos as Dante performs them entirely at random.

Top Bottom