• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Activision kills Guitar Hero, axes True Crime development

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Update: Activision’s financial results are out, and so is official word of True Crime‘s cancellation and Guitar Hero‘s disappearance.

“These decisions are based on the desire to focus on the greatest opportunities that the company currently has to create the world’s best interactive entertainment experiences,” Activision said in a statement released tonight.

Activision said that it plans to “invest its capital and resources in the significant opportunities afforded by online gaming worldwide and will reduce its exposure to low-margin and low-potential businesses.”

In short, the company’s focused on Blizzard development, the Call of Duty franchise, and Bungie’s new property, which they will publish. The company also said they plan on revealing an “innovative new universe” at Toy Fair this week, which it claims will “bring the world of toys, video games and the Internet together in an unprecedented way.”

The company concluded that “these investments should better position Activision Blizzard for long-term growth and enable it to continue expanding its position as the largest digital publisher.”

The company has yet to confirm layoffs at Freestyle Games and Vicarious visions, as rumored in the original story.

Original Story (titled ‘Report: Activision to kill Guitar Hero, axe True Crime development’): Major happenings are to occur at Activision, ahead of their financial results tonight, if a Eurogamer report is accurate. The Call of Duty publisher will reportedly bid farewell to its once-prosperous Guitar Hero franchise, and axe development on United Front’s open-world True Crime sequel.

Additionally, layoffs have hit DJ Hero developer Freestyle Games and the Activision-owned Vicarious Visions. Supporting this piece of the report is BioWare’s Manveer Heir, who tweeted in consideration to those who lost their jobs. Vicarious created the Wii version of last year’s Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock.

Last year, Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg said that Guitar Hero had a future in 2011. In regards to True Crime, although updates have been scarce, a new screenshot was released last month.

Stay tuned. As soon as we know more, we’ll update this post.

Source: http://scrawlfx.com/2011/02/activision-kills-guitar-hero-axes-true-crime-development

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
As much as I loved True Crime: Streets of LA it was the only one that wasn't a total flop and I didn't have much faith for the series getting back on it's feet. Maybe they wouldn't have done too bad with publicity if they decided to stick with the story of the Kangs but still it's kinda sad to see 3 just axed like that. :(

Dark Drakan

Admin
Activision trying to save money the Guitar Hero franchise had been milked to death long ago. True Crime has always been overshadowed by better games and with LA Noire coming out i dont think it stood much of a chance in the genre. People had been saying how much the game was looking to have improved however and was showing promise so a shame in that aspect that it was nearly finished but we will never see it.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I actually regretted wasting £10 on True Crime: Streets of LA.
As for Guitar Hero, yup, i liked it at the beginning, but when they stuck one of my fave songs on DLC, it kinda p***ed me off. So I'm now kinda glad they're gonna stop producing them.

Demon619

Deadman walking
Thank god Guitar Heros gone, I mean it was good when it first started out, but its just needs to die now.

aka958

Don't trust people
Demon619;299696 said:
Thank god Guitar Heros gone, I mean it was good when it first started out, but its just needs to die now.

Sadly I think the same... that's so rude of me. <.<

Top Bottom