• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Activision insists they aren't an evil empire

V

Oldschool DMC fan
D'aww, poor Activisioneywishoney is misunderstood.

I don't think they're misunderstood at all. I think everyone knows exactly what they are - a company out to make as much money as possible with the least possible effort.

Businesspeople by nature can't fault them, but customers expecting quality and game makers expecting to practice artistry will because they are prepared to compromise both of these for high sales returns with 'quick fix' titles. Which, realistically, will in the end be a bit like business-seppuku when all a company is doing is churning out bog-standard crap, while other companies perpared to invest more time and effort and creativity will gain prestige over them.

Reactions: Meg

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Or "don't be mean - buy our crap! If not, we'll buy out everyone else! Gyahahahaha"

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Activision not evil eh?
PFFT! That's like me saying I'm not an over obsessed Vergil Fangirl...

Dark Drakan

Admin
Activision took the evil title off EA some time ago and all the things people hated EA for doing they have done too. EA have turned a corner with their products lately and ive been impressed with a lot of their games. However Activision started milking companies for all they are worth and making them pump out sequels, updates and expansions like they were going out of fashion.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I think what Activision would absolutely love, would be if every game they made were just like WOW... minimal updating and effort required to maintain, with only the occasional sequel necessary to keep players playing, and a constant influx of cash from it monthly. Throw in a few novelty things like that buy-only ethereal horse mount and you can make a few extra million on the side.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I think what Activision would absolutely love, would be if every game they made were just like WOW... minimal updating and effort required to maintain, with only the occasional sequel necessary to keep players playing, and a constant influx of cash from it monthly. Throw in a few novelty things like that buy-only ethereal horse mount and you can make a few extra million on the side.

Yeah, Bobby 'moron' Kotick stated many times how he would have loved to introduce a pay to play monthly subscription to the CoD series (because of its popularity).

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
You know, if they add a Pay to Play monthly subscription to CoD, they would lose a lot of people...I for one wouldn't pay for it. Not because I'm cheap, but it was meant to play with other people and if you're being billed to play a video game meant for multiplayer rounds, you're just being hosed of your money. It's not like you're exploring new areas, interacting with NPCs, gaining skills or spells...hell, not even gaining any real levels!

Dark Drakan

Admin
You know, if they add a Pay to Play monthly subscription to CoD, they would lose a lot of people...I for one wouldn't pay for it. Not because I'm cheap, but it was meant to play with other people and if you're being billed to play a video game meant for multiplayer rounds, you're just being hosed of your money. It's not like you're exploring new areas, interacting with NPCs, gaining skills or spells...hell, not even gaining any real levels!

Their higher ups discredited this suggestion pretty fast but Bobby Kotick would love it to happen.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I'm sure he would, one word for the guy-greedy. I'm just happy the higher ups denied his request.

Always thought he was a greedy idiot to be honest, he claims its what gamers want but ive never heard any gamer ever like ANY of his suggestions.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Must be the voices in his head because no-one wants anything he offers. I mean Infinity Ward got blamed for the prices of the map packs originally but it wasnt them that set the prices it was Activision and Kotick claimed people didnt mind paying that much as they had gotten used to that pricing. Now Treyarch have defended them too...

Costly Black Ops map packs offer 'a lot of value' - Treyarch

Should take a leaf out of EA's book (never thought id see the day i said that) & offer map packs for free to whoever purchased the game new.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Kotick's a business man... he understands the principles of exploitation perfectly, but not the sensibilities of his customer base; and we all know he doesn't care a crap about games themselves. However, he also seems to think he can wean his buyer base into expecting to be ripped off. That's what worries me. There's a good chance his buyer base will, instead of exercising their ability to withhold their hardearned cash in protest (the only thing he cares about), and force Activision to rethink it's 'milk to death' strategy sooner rather than later.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Kotick's a business man... he understands the principles of exploitation perfectly, but not the sensibilities of his customer base; and we all know he doesn't care a crap about games themselves. However, he also seems to think he can wean his buyer base into expecting to be ripped off. That's what worries me. There's a good chance his buyer base will, instead of exercising their ability to withhold their hardearned cash in protest (the only thing he cares about), and force Activision to rethink it's 'milk to death' strategy sooner rather than later.

I really hope so and the only threat to his cash cow CoD franchise which i was a huge fan of until they started milking it is Battlefield 3 which is looking superb.

Top Bottom