• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A rival for Nero next game?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm playing Death Stranding and i wouldn't mind a rival like Cliff.

He's sorta unconnected from the main story so i thought that would be a fun thing to try.

Picard

Starfleet Demon
Good point. But what do you think of adding Liquid Ocelot in the mix? And since Nero & this one can be almost like Gene & Azel from God Hand, there could be something.

I can see a glaive as his signature weapon. And I do like the idea of him being formerly part of the Order. Was he a general, officer or a knight back then?

If there needs to be personal stuff going on for this one and Nero, there needs to be some bits of Credo in this character, even how he used to have feelings for Kyrie before Nero showed up.

He'll need a good name fitting.

Taunts?

I don't really know much about Liquid Ocelot, so I can't comment. Glaive is an interesting idea, though.

Hungry Alien

As Ronin suggested, I will continue my description of my take on a rival named Aaron for Nero here. For those interested, the initial discussion is here

https://devilmaycry.org/forums/threads/new-characters-for-dmc6.24079/page-3

For Aaron's DT, it will be represented by his runes glowing and an effect on his body depending on the type of rune used. For example, a lightning rune will have some sparks running on his body, and a protection rune will manifest as a barrier on the concerned body part. Many runes can be used at once, but it will wears him down faster. Finally, he is able to use all of his runes at once, and the overdose of magic will indeed make him look like a super saiyan with hairs floating and eyes shining. When doing this, I will add an epic voice line spoke in norse language to add to the epicness. I would make him overall speak in norse language when in battle or when speaking to his warriors.
As for the reality bending ability, it has visual clues on the concerned object. Aaron will only raise his hand to where he plans to use his power, with an little blurring effect on his hand.

For his gun, I'm thinking more about a modified Desert Eagle with 2 fire mod. Nero already have a revolver with Blue Rose, so I don't want another one for the rival. The gun will use normal ammo enhanced by the runes, and will otherwise be really simple and only modified to witness the use of magic on it. Aaron will also use grenade and mines, all of them combined with his heavy usage of runes and reality bending to give diverse effects.

And for the acting, I don't have many knowledge on actors since I have a hard time remembering their names when watching a movie (since they are only quoted in the end credit which I usually don't read). But if Aaron were to be implemented, he would need an intimidating look and a rather huge body. Also he really need a deep and commanding voice and to be able to shout some norse lines quite easily. I would propose Olfur darri Olafssun since he is the one who did the acting for the Highlander in For honor and he looks nice for a nordic character :

15575228.jpg

Here are some voiceline from the Highlander :

And since I've spoke about the group of warriors following Aaron, I willl expand a little about them. They will also have nordic features, but less than their master and they will have more option for looks since while they have a huge respect for Aaron, they aren't just some hired goons and have their own tastes in term of fighting and fashion. This will allow for more diversity in the group. I'm also thinking about making them wear masks or helmet hiding their faces since they won''t be vital to the story and it would avoid having more actors to do the acting for them. They are mostly here to reinforce the commanding look of Aaron and his habit of using everything he has in order to fight a stronger opponent. They will assist him in battle against demons and tracking targets while being able to handle themselves during fights. If Aaron is added to a game, maybe the need of giving them an individual personality will rise, but for an introduction, this isn't needed.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Let's recap shall we @Hungry Alien?

Aaron is a former knight of the Order of the Sword, who's held a resentment towards Nero since he joined their ranks and for disrupting his feelings for Kyrie. But unlike Nero who gained love & compassion, he held lust. Those actions of his costed him his status in the Holy Knights as Credo expels him for his behavior. But Agnus hearing this, takes him under his services for prepping the Order's plan to rule the world.

During the crisis in Fortuna as the Hell Gate opened, Aaron gets caught in the crossfire as demons attacked him, leaving himself disfigured & scarred.

Anything else I'm missing? Cause I wonder how Aaron would become a Devil Hunter & an assassin/mercenary-for-hire after the Qliphoth incident in Red Grave? Plus how he got his newfound powers.

Do you see him change his ways towards Nero? I'm trying to picture him like Deathstroke in Arrow.

Hungry Alien

Sorry if I look messy when describing this character, but he isn't set in stone in my mind and I often add some changes based on your feedback, generally when I find a concept cool and wants to add it. The nordic look also came into my mind after a session on For Honor playing the Highander, that's why most inspiration come from him now.

I will clarify some part on Aaron. He is indeed a former knight of the OOTS, but the parallel with Nero is that he was also a orphan. This background could also be used to solidify this hatred for demons in general, like having one of his parents being a sorcerer and eventually causing the destruction of the whole family by messing with demons. A variant of this would be that he was "gifted" with his strange power when young, and this attracted demons who then slaughtered his family and he survived using his power. This power would make him seen as a bad omen, causing people to shoo him away (another parallel with Nero and his arm).
Either way, he is an orphan who was taken to the Order after being found in Fortuna, and showed a great talent for combat, leading him to be trained by Credo. Having no family unlike Nero who grew with Kyrie and Credo, he only had the Order in his life and took his duty very seriously (unlike Nero). He would hide his power as much as he can, but his reputation as a bad omen would make him a loner in the superstitious city of Fortuna and even among the Order. This would push him to improve his skill to be accepted for his strength in battle, but still no one would dare to link with him.
Finally, in a final attempt to find someone, he would turn to Kyrie, a person he always found beautiful and hopeful. He would then be rejected by Kyrie, who had already feeling for Nero, and I will modify my take on his by making Kyrie try to reach for Aaron only to have Credo stop it and order Aaron to stay away from her, again because of his reputation as a bad omen.

This would be the final push for Aaron. Unable to find anyone to bond with, he would turn on the last thing he has : the legend of Sparda. Interpreting Sparda as a demon who find his place by growing strong enough to be able to protect everyone, he would embrace his magic in order to gain power. But his fanatical view on Sparda coupled with a dried out patience for other would turn him into a cold and calculating fighter. Him openly using his magic would also push him even further from the knights of the Order, his presence only tolerated because of his ruthless efficiency. Seeing Nero with Kyrie would also make him extremely jealous, leading to a hatred for Nero. But he would never unleash his hatred, still believing that he can be loved by becoming a protector for everyone just like Sparda did. Until one day when he would finally snap.
This would occurs during a fight with though demons alongside others knights of the Order, including Nero. During the fight, Aaron would find himself in a tight spot, and to get out of it, he would use others knights as bait in order to distract demons long enough for him to recover and deal the final blow. This would not go unnoticed, and others knights would lash out at Aaron for his actions. He would ignore it as he usually does until one knight push him, causing his hatred for the people who never accepted him to rise. He would then start attacking other knights, killing some in the process until Nero intervene. After a brief fight, Aaron would be defeated by Nero demonic strength, subdued, then banished from the Order by Credo. But Agnus would then step in to take advantage of the situation. After discussing with a chained Aaron, Agnus would manipulate him into joining his research, claiming that most knights, including Credo, are ignorant of anything about demons and that he hold a huge knowledge about demons. This would attract Aaron's attention, who would accept the deal, finally finding someone not afraid of him.

His relationship with Agnus would be mostly professional. Agnus would ask for demons, Aaron would bring them in, and then Agnus would share some knowledge with him. This would be something new for Aaron, and he would enjoy Agnus compagny. As for Agnus, he would develop a huge respect for Aaron because of his skill and will to learn alongside his logical mind. This moment could be an opportunity to give another shot at Agnus, for he was sadly a victim of DMC 4 story being torn apart. Plus his death scene is so weird. He look like he didn't took the bullet and just fainted. Could be a potential come back for him with Aaron saving his associate as a parting gift by removing the bullet from existence. With Nico being his daughter, Agnus could have a good synergy with her, or even serve as Aaron sidekick and help developing his weapon and runes.
Back to Aaron now. The negative view of Agnus on humans would have his effect on Aaron, making him dislike common people on a certain extent. But he would still follow his ideal of being a protector of humanity, believing them to be mostly misguided and in need of a good leader. This would also be why he didn't took part to the Ascension ceremony, with Agnus respecting his wish. This is also during his time with Agnus that he started developing his runic magic.
During the attack on Fortuna, Aaron would have watched from afar, mostly observing Dante in action. But witnessing Sanctus use the faith of the people of Fortuna would reinforce his idea of the need for a strong leadership for mankind and not someone obsessed with power. The fall of Sanctus would comfort him in his idea of not using demonic power, and he would then leave after saving Agnus, whom he consider quite similar to him (rejected by others, logical mind, sharing the idea of leadership for mankind even tho he choose another path).

After the fall, Aaron would become a demon hunter in order to live his life. Nothing special would happen until the end of DMC 5 and the realization of the existence of demons by the public. With this, more people would try to master demonic magics, cults would appear and Aaron would add them to his hunting list. Witnessing his talent and convictions, some people would ask to join him in. He would accept and form his own group of demon hunter, knowing well that working with others expand your possibility. At some point, he would meet Agnus once more, and take him in his group. The two would become close friends, and Agnus would expand on the runic magic again, perfecting it. All of this until Aaron stumble into Nero once again during a mission, tracks him down to his house and meet with Kyrie again. This would greatly disturb Aaron, who distanced himself from everything long ago, and now having personal feeling to deal with about Nero and Kyrie.

And that's it. I added Agnus as Aaron sidekick because I always liked him and though that he didn't got a chance. Also with what Dante told him before shooting, it would be interesting to see how it has affected Agnus.
I also expanded on his backstory in the Order to make his view on the world more fleshed out and understandable. The goal is to make him opposed to Nero by having him think more logically, being more precise and efficient, and devoid of empathy for other. But despite his lack of empathy, Aaron would still follow this own ideal on Sparda, making him more complex as a character than just another Vergil. Finally, he would be a push for Kyrie to become a true character, to push Nero into a more personal struggle and to make justice to Agnus.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
@Hungry Alien

I doubt bringing Agnus back would change anything.

However after reading this, can you imagine some new company/corporation takes some evidence from Fortuna, even some dead bodies for their research or revive? I dunno about Agnus brought back to life.

But imagine Aaron brought back by that corporation from his slaughtered defeat by the demons. He is brought back to life, becoming his own Devil Hunter. But never forgets Nero.

The story you brought out on Aaron? Seems interesting for him to possess such a power at that age.

For the expulsion, I can imagine like in Ninja 2009 where the hero & antagonist are in sword demonstration, but the antagonist tries to kill the hero out of jealousy and prejudice.

Hungry Alien

The idea about Agnus is mostly me liking his character and I think he could have an interesting development in the story by trying to redeem himself and understand why science can't solve everything and that he need something more. I also like cowardly character trying to do good because when they stand out and put themselves in danger for other's sake, it always sound so heroic. Plus his relation with Nico could mirror the one between Aaron and Nero in a way and would fit the family theme of DMC.

While I don't mind having a corp taking some test subjects in Fortuna, I don't think Aaron should be revived since I won't make him participate in the Fortuna incident. At this point in his story, he has no reason to help the Order and is already independent. But he won't forget Nero for many reason : he is the one who got Kyrie's love, he was Credo protege in some way (and Aaron hate Credo for taking Kyrie away from him), and Nero is the only knight who bested him in fight. So Aaron got many reason to hate him personally.
I like the idea of a duel gone wrong because of Aaron, but it will need to establish the resentment of Aaron for Nero before it. Then the duel will be used to instaure the rivalry between the two with Nero being the only one able to defeat Aaron (who take great pride in this). This could also be the reason for this duel : a showdown to define the best knight of the Order.

As for Aaron power, I gave him those to have him able to fight Nero in an even fight. He is human at his core, so he need some boost to get the credibility he need. And since those power are linked to a new area inspired from Lovecraft cosmic horror, I have in mind the idea that it isn't chance which brought Aaron his power, but a scheme from one of the big boss of this realm. The ultimate goal of this cosmic god would be to get a hold on a strong human in order to have him create a link between the human world and their dimension and be set free, the new area being in a dimension acting as a prison for those inside. They can't get out of it, but if someone were to forge a link to their realm from the outside, they would be free. Aaron would not be the only one with this kind of power, but those people would be rare since most cannot withstand it and either die or are drove mad.
Aaron's power would be a part of a grand build up to a true endgame boss in DMC, but it must stay discrete to give the maximum effect during the big reveal.

Top Bottom