• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A Devil May Cry Story

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
now more i would accept CGI DMC movie than live action one beacuse well there is small percent of good those what are adapted from games, also would opt for new DMC manga

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Guys remember this is not a thread to bash the story, this is more to discuss what types of stories could be told with DMC.

Its like my "what a new lead needs to have " thread.

For the record, DMC is pretty decent story that just needs some TLC. Its not a hot mess like NG3 nor is it really convoluted like KH or MGS.

Its a simple story with a couple of poor decisions which happens more than people think.

Last edited:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
A DMC Story could potentially tackle the issue of dehumanization. Specifically the dehumanization of "an entire group of people in a foreign country" in order to justify warring against them with the intention of genocide/enslavement. So in essence it's also about racism and imperialism, but addressing both sides of it in DMC instead of DMC3's surface level "Lady thought Dante was Evil and that all demons were 100% Evil until stuff happened so she stopped thinking that... even though she knew Sparda existed and the only reason humans are alive is cuz he wasn't 100% Evil". The story still marks them as "exceptions to the rule" so demons are still "mostly evil" (like, 99% Evil instead of the whole 100%) and there's no reason for Lady to totally discard that stereotype. It also seems silly that she'd need a lesson on how "humans can be as evil as any devil" by her father murdering her mother when she could have learned the same thing by opening up a history book or turning on a television. Did their version of human history not involve genocide, slavery, persecution, and general abuses of power at any point? Does their world not have random shootings, or is that literally all blamed on "the devil made me do it"?

It sounds "funny", so I'll explain the appropriate backdrop. It's a political/war story of Mundus's origins bordering on being a propaganda piece, showing us his rise to power and ending sometime after Sparda's rebellion. People "expect" a Sparda-centric story-- how long have fans been suggesting it, a decade? But unfortunately DMC has been framed in a way that Sparda's story is redundant, because we've already played it. Dante is "following his father's footsteps", so a Sparda story is "What Dante did, except better" with a few alterations and too much hype to satisfy the fandom.

I'm saying, we need a Mundus-centric story to flesh out the Underworld and show what it's like to attain power there and the usual mindset of demons. Some things just don't add up in the lore on close scrutiny.

The games would have us believe that a race that's 99% Evil and constantly embroiled in war against their own kind would somehow be organized enough to attack the human race and almost win until Sparda intervened. Aren't they supposed to be too busy stabbing each other in the back? What power does a demon gain by killing those significantly weaker than it, whose souls have no use?

Then, this supposedly evil race, having no concept of family or close bonds, they have enough concept of loyalty and betrayal to still hold a grudge when one of their own betrays them, except? they're EVIL. Betrayal should be in their blood. If anything, Sparda doing what he did was "acting on his own self interest" and just as demonic as anything else demons have gotten up to. They're acting like it's the first time ever that a Devil King got knocked off his throne by someone more powerful who was close to them, but Mundus ousted the previous Devil King before him, and if he were crafty, working from a position of closeness to that King is how he would have done it.

Lastly, this supposedly evil race that values power above all other things, either the attainment of it or the servitude to it, in doing point 2 and holding a grudge against Sparda and his son, are implicitly refusing to recognize that Sparda and his son have demonstrated their power against the former Devil King and should therefore be served, not reviled. They value power? Sparda and Dante showed their power. As far as anyone else is concerned it was "legitimately done", that is to say, Mundus was defeated in battle. Most 1-on-1 boss fights in DMC end in either death or the loser of the battle serving the victor as a Devil Arm, and Mundus somehow got away with doing neither, which on this end makes him look like a sore loser.

We need a story that dives into that world to answer the big Why question by answering it piece by piece.

Are demons really a mostly evil and chaotic hive mind? They could be leading complicated struggles and what would look to humans like "they keep killing each other with no regard for family" is really that they're very tribal, working for different leaders rather than just the one "leader of all", until Mundus organized them. Think of what we would look like to aliens, for instance.

What did Mundus hope to gain by taking over the human world instead of just ruling his own? The manga tells the story as if those two worlds coexisted fine until Mundus got the idea to rule both worlds, quote:

"These two worlds existed together for what seemed like an eternity. But one day, the lord of the dark world said "These realms were once united. So why not rule them as one?" From that era forward, the dark fought to control the light, and the light struggled to defy the dark."

So what made him do it? What profit was there when according to the lore, no other Devil King even bothered with ruling a world full of "inferior creatures"? "The world was one before it split"/"Well, Why Not?" doesn't actually read like a good reason because again, no other Devil King bothered with that kind of undertaking. They left the Human World alone for long enough to look like "an eternity" so there must have been a reason for why Mundus started that. Perhaps he framed humans as evil, wasteful savages, warlike among themselves (pretty much like how humans see demons) to justify his entitlement in wanting to rule and put their land to better use.

Lastly, what did Sparda even do? How did he win his battle that demons still hate him for it? Like I said, it's weird that demons that value power wouldn't recognize his, unless the issue is (or was made to look) deeper. What did Sparda look like, a human sympathizer? Was he "dooming" demonkind? Or was it his lack of allegiance to a higher power and his disinterest in even ruling the Human World and making use of it that made them all angry at him? What happened there?

We need the answer coming from the demon side of things. DMC so far has focused on the human side, with "humans are good, demons are evil, evil demons want to take over the world and sometimes evil humans want demonic power to rule as gods too, and humans need to be protected". It has room to show that demons are humans are complicated and ultimately not that different from each other.

I'll probably need to edit this to be shorter or something.

Edit: Now there's technically less scrolling.

Last edited:

RadiantWolf

Conlige suspectos semper habitos.
The ingredients for a thrilling Devil May Cry story all already exist in the mythos. If I seem to be bashing the story it's not because I hate it (I really don't), it's because I feel like the narrative of the games could go so much deeper into its own themes. Themes Capcom themselves came up with!

The idea @Morgan mentioned above is actually an interesting one too. I run a Devil May Cry-based tabletop for my friends because we are all indeed that nerdy that plays with similar themes only my story takes place 2000 years in the future, not the past. Still, the demons are as much part of the plot as the human world and there's a Goatling that joins the player's party.

Edit: To go more with the thread's theme-

My game is about the DMC universe 2000 years in the future. The war between demons and humans has started to surge again after many centuries of the Demon World/Dark Raid mostly leaving human kind alone. It turns out Abigail has defeated Mundus and is waiting for Mundus to die of his wounds. Abigail has taken to leading his demonic armies against the humans.

A ragtag band of heroes ends up finding the wounded Mundus and he sends part of himself with the group to advise from the sidelines.

What the story reveals is:

-"Mundus" is a title given to the rulers of the Demon World meaning "World Fiend".
-Dante himself is the current Mundus and has used his position of King of Hell to create peace over the last couple thousand years. But nobody in the human world knows this.
-Demons do not feel emotions but instead feed on human emotion.
-Rare demons do awaken to justice.
-But those demons are seen as traitors to their own kind
-various other things

Aside from aspects of the new world (2k years later) and various characters I tried to only tap into what DMC lore gave me

Last edited:
Top Bottom