• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

your fave anti-hero

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
*Buzzer sound*Well I have no idea what CO is, and I've personally never seen Breaking Bad, but from what I know, Walter White was a guy who got cancer and took up drug dealing to make money for his family for when he was gone, and became progressively more ruthless as the series continued. I'd classify that as an anti-villain.
"Batman fits into Anti-Hero only due to his Frank Miller episodes and likes of them." Which is pretty much how Batman is protrayed nowadays, so that point still stands.
Actually no, Deadpool isn't a villain. He's a mercenary, add his insanity into the mix, the character's more a "chaotic neutral"

Again I ask, when the heck was it said Vergil (original) had the goal of killing Mundus? Cause I don't remember ever hearing that.
In the end Walter admits, that all he done he done for himself. NOT for his family. If he cared for his family he would be satisfied after first big cash, but his greed and thrill addiction got best of him, instead he put them on the line because he couldn't stop until it was to late.
Batman in original animated series was never portrayed as anti-hero and considering DC retconed Miller's comics where he used a gun it basically non-existent.
Original appearance of Deadpool was as minor villain in X-Men spinoff. He was depicted as anti-hero later. So that makes it no, no and no.
And as for CO I of course mean Clockwork Orange. Alex is basically sociopath, murderer and rapist. Yet he is anti-hero of the CO.

Also for the rest of this debate, there is no need to "look" for a definition. Open literature vocabulary and read it.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/anti-hero
http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/anti-hero
http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/lit_terms_A.html#antihero_anchor
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/antihero

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
In the end Walter admits, that all he done he done for himself. NOT for his family. If he cared for his family he would be satisfied after first big cash, but his greed and thrill addiction got best of him, instead he put them on the line because he couldn't stop until it was to late.
Batman in original animated series was never portrayed as anti-hero and considering DC retconed Miller's comics where he used a gun it basically non-existent.
Original appearance of Deadpool was as minor villain in X-Men spinoff. He was depicted as anti-hero later. So that makes it no, no and no.
And as for CO I of course mean Clockwork Orange. Alex is basically sociopath, murderer and rapist. Yet he is anti-hero of the CO.

Also for the rest of this debate, there is no need to "look" for a definition. Open literature vocabulary and read it.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/anti-hero
http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/anti-hero
http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/lit_terms_A.html#antihero_anchor
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/antihero
So then Walter White became a villain
And I don't specifically mean Miller Batman. Chris Nolan Batman, Tim Burton, the animated Batman. Most modern depictions of Batman qualify.
Again about Deadpool, he's a chaotic neutral. He's not a hero or a villain. He's a mercenary who happens to be bat-s#1t insane.
And how would I know about Alex? I've never seen Clock Work Orange.
And then what do you do? You say there's no need for a definition, and then proceed to give 4 links to a definition...Contradictory much?

La Femme Fatale

Her Royal Nonsense
Jaime Lannister and Sandor Clegane from ASOIAF
Jareth from Labyrinth
Heathcliff from Withering Heights
Larry Flynt from The People vs Larry Flynt (well, real person too)
Jules Winfield from Pulp Fiction
Nikita from La Femme Nikita.

ReaperHunter

Follow me to Apex
Premium
Alright some of my favorite anti heroes are
  • Luke Fon Fabre-Tales of The Abyss
  • Gray Fox- Metal Gear Solid
  • Greed-Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
  • Dante-Devil May Cry
  • Travis Touchdown-No More Heroes

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
So then Walter White became a villain
And I don't specifically mean Miller Batman. Chris Nolan Batman, Tim Burton, the animated Batman. Most modern depictions of Batman qualify.
Again about Deadpool, he's a chaotic neutral. He's not a hero or a villain. He's a mercenary who happens to be bat-s#1t insane.
And how would I know about Alex? I've never seen Clock Work Orange.
And then what do you do? You say there's no need for a definition, and then proceed to give 4 links to a definition...Contradictory much?
Walter didn't become a villain. He remained anti-hero to the end.
Nor Burton, nor animated Batman would qualify as anti-hero. While using fear to keep criminals in check, he's still retained his high moral standards and his non-kill policy.
Deadpool started as small lapdog of Weapon X before growing into separate characters. Point remains, he still was villain before they expanded him into separate comics.
And wether you know or don't know Alex, point remains. He barely has redeeming qualities yet he's anti-hero
And I said you don't need to "look" for definition while you can simply read it.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Walter didn't become a villain. He remained anti-hero to the end.
Nor Burton, nor animated Batman would qualify as anti-hero. While using fear to keep criminals in check, he's still retained his high moral standards and his non-kill policy.
Deadpool started as small lapdog of Weapon X before growing into separate characters. Point remains, he still was villain before they expanded him into separate comics.
And wether you know or don't know Alex, point remains. He barely has redeeming qualities yet he's anti-hero
And I said you don't need to "look" for definition while you can simply read it.
How you're describing Walter White sounds like a anti-villain who develops into a villain (if he really did continue for personal greed as you say)
Just because Batman doesn't kill, doesn't make him not an anti-hero. He use of fear and psychological terror are what makes him qualify.
Again, Deadpool, chaotic neutral, I'm standing by that.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
@AgentRedgrave Like I said I disagree on all those points, but I don't think back and forth debate would resolve anything.

Anyway I found this article, which probably may help to define difference between hero - villain - anti-hero
http://fantasy-faction.com/2011/antihero-vs-villain

good read, easily graspable, but like many others, it leaves us to interprete ourselves, at least for me..

so i need an opinion here guys, is jetstream sam an antihero?

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
C'mon guys, let's not argue about such trivial things. Besides, a lot of this is open to interpretation anyway. I see no real true definition of the term, since all of the information provided pretty much points to it being a subjective thing.

Wikipedia said:
Each of these examples has been identified by a critic as an antihero, although the classification is somewhat subjective. Some of the entries may be disputed by other sources and some may contradict all established definitions of antihero.

It's quite honestly more about how you personally perceive a character from what they've done, how they've acted, and that general sort of thing. Of course, you've got good and bad - protagonist and antagonist - I'd say most of them cross that fine line of right and wrong at some point. That doesn't mean all characters need to be so black and white that you can't add a few other colours to them. I don't think it's as simple or as necessary to say (example) Spiderman = good. There's going to be something he says, does or whatever that will make you question that at some point. There's that point of not everyone is perfect, the same thing applies to these heroes.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The word does have a definition. We just have people trying to argue if certain characters fit the criteria when most of their choices really don't.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
C'mon guys, let's not argue about such trivial things. Besides, a lot of this is open to interpretation anyway. I see no real true definition of the term, since all of the information provided pretty much points to it being a subjective thing. Let's just leave it at that.
I am gonna leave it at that, but as I said. I've read nothing to change my mind. That's all I'm saying

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I am gonna leave it at that, but as I said. I've read nothing to change my mind. That's all I'm saying

No problem. And I'm not saying that you have to change your opinion. I don't think anyone should have to. You'll see that if you re-read my post.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Angel-tv-show-25.jpg

I recently rewatched the buffy spinoff Angel so I nominated Angel (guy in the middle of the pic) the other vampire with a souls Spike (blond guy to the left) and Wesley Wyndam Pryce (guy next to Angel).

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@VampireWicked yes and I own an omnibus that collects issues 34-45. the After the fall arc is pretty sweet and I enjoyed better that Buffy season 8 but I'm more of an Angel fan than buffy.

on topic- Prince Zuko from Avatar the last air bender

prince_zuko_by_vgafanatic-d1ju8a2.jpg

berto

I Saw the Devil
I recently rewatched the buffy spinoff Angel so I nominated Angel (guy in the middle of the pic) the other vampire with a souls Spike (blond guy to the left) and Wesley Wyndam Pryce (guy next to Angel).
Dude, c'mon. You're among nerds. We know which one's angel and Spike, and Gun and so on.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@berto I just wanted to make sure as its an old show . Plus I only wanted to highlight a few charachers as I don't consider Fred, Gunn and Lorne to be anti-heroes.

on topic-

Jak from Jak and daxter
Jak%20&%20Daxter.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom