• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Will DMC 4: SE sell well?

Frazz

General gamer
I just thought if make a thread for us to discuss whether or not you think this game will do well. I'm a bit pessimistic as 1) it has no physical release. 2) it's a seven year old game and of the 2.9 million that bought it I'd say about 1 million (if not less) are even aware of/ care about the Special Edition... What do you guys think?

Blade8513

No physical release? :(

Anyway I don't know how well it will sell, but I don't think it being digital only will hurt the sales too bad, IIRC the recent remastered version Resident Evil 1 sold really well which I believe was digital only too.

Frazz

General gamer
No physical release? :(

Anyway I don't know how well it will sell, but I don't think it being digital only will hurt the sales too bad, IIRC the recent remastered version Resident Evil 1 sold really well which I believe was digital only too.
That's true but Resident Evil does have quite a large fanbase in comparison to DMC... Even looking at these forums you can see that so many of the members are no longer around so that implies to me that there are many that don't know the game exists. Also I'll correct myself by saying that 4: SE does have a physical release in Japan only... The west is a huge market and having no physical copies I think may hurt it because I would say most console gamers get their games off of Anazon. With no physical version for the west then so many will not be aware of the game due to it having no presence on sites like Amazon.

Blade8513

That's true but Resident Evil does have quite a large fanbase in comparison to DMC... Even looking at these forums you can see that so many of the members are no longer around so that implies to me that there are many that don't know the game exists. Also I'll correct myself by saying that 4: SE does have a physical release in Japan only... The west is a huge market and having no physical copies I think may hurt it because I would say most console gamers get their games off of Anazon. With no physical version for the west then so many will not be aware of the game due to it having no presence on sites like Amazon.

Yeah those are really good points, I was hoping for a physical copy myself tbh I wonder why they decided to do digital only in the west.

Lani

Yeah those are really good points, I was hoping for a physical copy myself tbh I wonder why they decided to do digital only in the west.
If you are a conspiracy theorist like those on GF its to hinder sales of DMC4SE:sneaky:Because you know Capcom is still butthurt over people not liking DmC:whistle::tongue:

Seriously though its probably cause of DmC DE didnt do as well as they thought and they arent willing to take that risk again with DMC4SE.

scionicspectre

It depends on what you mean by 'well'. This genre doesn't sell well at all to begin with compared to mainstream titles (it doesn't even compete with a franchise like Assassin's Creed, for instance). I'd say the original sold pretty well for the genre and what could be expected, so I'm optimistic that it will sell well in proportion to that expectation.

No sane person would suppose a remaster, even one with significant new features, to outsell the original. I think the ratio between original and rerelease sales will be favorable in contrast to other remasters for multiple reasons. First of all, it's an update of a good game that adds significant changes beyond mere visual updates and gameplay tweaks (something people have been begging for in the remaster-ridden landscape). Additionally, it's a much older game that is arguably more worthy of being brought up to date, so it's bound to get more attention simply due to how much it stands out from the 1 or 2 year old 'definitive' editions floating around.

Whether those sales are good enough for Capcom or fans is a different question entirely, since they may well have unfair expectations that go far beyond what is reasonable.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I think it'll do pretty fine.

DMC's fanbase may be small, but there's a large number of them. A DMC4: SE with more costumes, a playable Lady and Trish, AND more stuff will sell great. Adding Vergil into the mix makes it even better. And considering this special edition is here after DmC, fans will swarm to this like flies on ****. (not calling DMC4 ****, calm down)

So yeah, I don't think it'll do too bad. They might've done better if not for the Digital release issue.

Wajpa

Also Viper339 on Twitch!
I don't see why it would sell poorly. I don't think the fact that there will be no retail version in the west will hurt it a lot (doesn't affect me anyway since I'll buy it on PC) and the controversy that happened with DmC is just going to boost the sales. Also, unlike DmC: DE it actually has more content for players who aren't really good at beat 'em ups (don't get me wrong, I loved the new added modes like GMD and Must Style but for a lot of players who are struggling with the game on the easier difficulty levels, these things did not matter which probably lead to it selling poorly).

I'd say it should sell well for a remaster but as others said, I'm not sure if the sales are going to satisfy Capcom.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I don't see why it would sell poorly. I don't think the fact that there will be no retail version in the west will hurt it a lot (doesn't affect me anyway since I'll buy it on PC) and the controversy that happened with DmC is just going to boost the sales. Also, unlike DmC: DE it actually has more content for players who aren't really good at beat 'em ups (don't get me wrong, I loved the new added modes like GMD and Must Style but for a lot of players who are struggling with the game on the easier difficulty levels, these things did not matter which probably lead to it selling poorly).

I'd say it should sell well for a remaster but as others said, I'm not sure if the sales are going to satisfy Capcom.
I just see the Special Edition shoehorning in a few new characters to play as. How is that less new content than what the Definitive Edition has? I saw actual work done where it counts on a game that was also cool in vanilla form.

Color me disappointed when DMC 4 doesn't even have half that work and it's actually needed. It has glaring flaws that need to be addressed such as the sometimes abysmal camera, multiple dice game, and timed jumping puzzles that spawn enemies every time you fail just to start.

They also could have added more levels and unique campaigns for the new characters instead of recycling AGAIN the same 10 levels it recycled before when it came out all those years ago. Geez, what is it with this game and artificially lengthening its content in the most laziest of ways.

Even if you love DMC 4, is this really what you want? Or do you want more? I believe if you're a fan of something, you shouldn't make excuses for the BS. DMC 4 is riddled with BS that they had a chance to fix, but they didn't.

ArabPikachu

Despite a disc-copy being unlikely to get released outside Japan, I'm confident in DMC4: Special Edition selling well; After all, DMC4 is the highest-selling DMC game and the predominantly positive reviews it received during 7th-gen would likely motivate people to buy it for a 8th-gen platform.

Wuodan

Present Day. Present Time.
@Chancey289 I understand how you feel and we are on the same page on that; but no one expected Capcom to reconstruct the half of the game from flesh. It's a special edition, not a remake. Hell, some people was only hoping for just a Vergil skin and a few minor improvements. 3 new playable characters is a plus and if they don't do it lazily it's a huge plus.

Is it an enough deal maker though? No, not in the very least and that's the very reason the game won't sell well. If you ask me, I think DMC4:SE was originally intended as a cashgrabber from Japanese audience with it's Japanese voice acting and Sengoku Basara kind of character variations. Then somebody in Capcom said "Hey, why don't we release it on the west as well? We don't even have to translate anything. Just a two or three lines of voice acting and we're done! Easy money!"

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
DMC 4 may be the highest selling one in the franchise, but even that number isn't very noteworthy. There are games that sell triple that amount overnight. The genre itself is just ailing. You also got to consider the ever dwindling fanbase this series has. It doesn't garner very many new fans, and unfortunately that's what will put this series under if it doesn't do anything.

The ones interested in buying a next gen copy of this game, are people who already dig DMC 4. Do I see it selling well? Well, about as well as it could. People are kinda overestimating the contemporary appeal of Devil May Cry.

Meg

I think it's important to keep in mind that this game is coming out during the summer when not much else is out. There will probably be a decent number of people buying it just because there is nothing else out.

I couldn't say if it will sell really well though. I doubt it will crack 1 million.

Some kind of Monster

That depends on what figures capcom have in mind. I will say this though i think it will do better than the Definitive edition probably more in the range where the HD collection is now.

scionicspectre

Lol, @Chancey289, I work in the industry and I can assure you that adding modifiers, difficulties, and tweaking a few variables in DmC is a far simpler task than creating additional movesets, models, animations, and cutscenes (not to mention the voice work). Vergil's Bloody Palace and the two new costumes were likely the most time-consuming and impressive features in DmC: DE from a production standpoint.

Some new environments and reworked levels in DMC 4 would be nice, but I'm not going to pretend we're getting shafted here. Of course many of us would like improvements to other areas of the game, but the delta between what a lot of people thought DMC 4 should've been and what we got is massive. It would be unfair to say that it's not enough work unless they rebuild half of the game.

It would be even less fair to pretend that DmC: DE did more just because you personally value those kinds of changes more. I'll reiterate- the kind of work being done on DMC 4: SE is significantly harder than what was done on DmC: DE.

DragonMaster2010

Lol, @Chancey289, I work in the industry and I can assure you that adding modifiers, difficulties, and tweaking a few variables in DmC is a far simpler task than creating additional movesets, models, animations, and cutscenes (not to mention the voice work). Vergil's Bloody Palace and the two new costumes were likely the most time-consuming and impressive features in DmC: DE from a production standpoint.

Some new environments and reworked levels in DMC 4 would be nice, but I'm not going to pretend we're getting shafted here. Of course many of us would like improvements to other areas of the game, but the delta between what a lot of people thought DMC 4 should've been and what we got is massive. It would be unfair to say that it's not enough work unless they rebuild half of the game.

It would be even less fair to pretend that DmC: DE did more just because you personally value those kinds of changes more. I'll reiterate- the kind of work being done on DMC 4: SE is significantly harder than what was done on DmC: DE.

I agree with most of this.

Though DmC: DE improved some gameplay mechanics, added some new costumes, created new difficulties, added the Hardcore mechanic, and created Vergil's BP, it's not really much compared to DMC4: SE which has three new characters with their own movements (at least I hope Lady, Vergil and Trish do instead of just borrowing off of what they had in previous games mixed with some of Dante and Nero's old moves), most of the PC version's perks on the consele version, and more costumes for each character. Though I hate to admit it, DMC4: SE has much more to offer then DmC: DE did.

Still I am dissapointed that Vergil will have no campign to really do, Lady and Trish would just be skins to play as, and unless I have thAT BEIGE TRENCH COAT COSTUME, I'm still not all that impressed. The hype has died down and now I look at it with mild expectations. Probably the best way to look at it so that I don't hope for too much.

But I will say this; Despite DmC: DE not doing as much as DMC4: SE is, DmC: DE did better (at least in my miniscule opinion) in fixing it's issues and trying to run with the big boys by improving it's inner core and technical skills, then DMC4: SE is by just throwing in layers of costumes and three characters who'll probably have recycled gmaeplay mechanics and animations from the past games. MAYBE, I don't know. But I just commend DmC: DE for going technical and focusing on building it's gameplay and speed rather then throw costumes and pretty lights my way.

Until I actually play both and have a good appreciative look at both games, all this is bias opinions.

scionicspectre

@DragonMaster2010 I'd have to agree with the sentiment. Even if the changes in DmC weren't ground-breaking achievements, they specifically addressed the complaints of fans and that should be applauded. Granted, I wasn't one of the people who thought DmC needed to be changed, but I'm glad more people can get into it now.

Compared to remasters outside of this franchise, however, it seems like we're really getting a pretty good deal either way.

Last edited:

ArabPikachu

I talked with a friend on WordPress and we mutually believed DMC4: Special Edition would outsell DmC: Definitive Edition.

DragonMaster2010

I talked with a friend on WordPress and we mutually believed DMC4: Special Edition would outsell DmC: Definitive Edition.

That goes without saying. But the real question is: will it sell enough to ensure more Devil May Cry (both) in the future, or will this be the end all be all of the series?

Top Bottom