• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why Was DMC 4's production time cut in half?

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
From what I've heard it was so that more resources, meaning people, time and money went to RE5. Capcom put staff and money that was meant to go to DMC4 to them so that the game would finish faster because it was RE5 that went over schedule and budget.
And yet DMC4 is still a better game then RE5.....imo

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
To me, I just hope CapCom does learn from their mistakes with DMC4 and DmC respectively and puts that knowledge towards a great new DMC game (spinoff, crossover, next numbered sequel etc).

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Excuse me, but what's the point of even posting then?
You know, if you dislike the game, that's fine. But if you're going to take the time to post, you could try being constructive.
tumblr_noq4ifBxaa1t62gyeo2_400.gif

Neigh Bird

SSStrange!!!
Back then, I didn't keep up with DMC news and stuff, so I had no idea DMC4 was an unfinished product. I even sold my PSP to get my hands on that game.

Anyway, the game's production time was apparently cut in half and there are a lot of promises that never happened. Can anyone explain to me, in detail, everything that was disappointing about DMC4 during its release?

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
From what I heard, originally Dante and Nero were both suppose to have their own campaigns. Nero's campaign was apparently very close to the final game's. While Dante was suppose to be trapped in hell (which leads me to believe the game was suppose to be a sequel to DMC2). Furthermore Dante was meant to have his own bosses (Gilgamash, Pandora, and Lucifer). Nero would have had his own devil arms, and even his own styles.

Least that's what this guy says

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium

Hmmm. Yeah that contributes so much to the discussion. Just like your previous comment. Thx for posting that. *shakes head*

To me, I just hope CapCom does learn from their mistakes with DMC4 and DmC respectively and puts that knowledge towards a great new DMC game (spinoff, crossover, next numbered sequel etc).

It's a shared hope, buddy, and now that I think about it... do you think that no DMC5 in the near future is actually a good thing? Because they can actually focus on it and not rush it?

Granted, I'm freakin tired of waiting, DMC5 is becoming like Jesus' second coming, but I think that's a legit question.

DragonMaster2010

Hmmm. Yeah that contributes so much to the discussion. Just like your previous comment. Thx for posting that. *shakes head*

Y'know what if you're gonna whine about small words, then that's you. I'm just sayin'.

But since I have to waste time explaining it all then here it goes.

Who knows why Capcom decided to cut the time short on making DMC4, and frankly, who gives a damn? The game came out, it did well for itself, it got a special edition. The concern for why it had such a cut short production time isn't all that worth focusing on if even with that production time cut short, it still did well in sales.
The reason I don't care is plainly obvious for those who know me. I may not like it, but DMC4 is favored among the fanbase and whether the time for production was cut short for reasons still unknown doesn't really deserve smack talk towards the game as a whole.
Its not all that big of a deal.

Thus I repeat;

Don't know. Don't care.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
^
See? That's a comment that actually adds something worthwhile to the discussion.

And no, I don't agree that it doesn't matter. Cause Capcom may think they can get away with it in a hypothetical sequel as well.
They got lucky that the strong selling point for a lot of fans was the combat but next time they better learn from the experience of developing DMC4 and focus. Organize their resources better.

DragonMaster2010

^
See? That's a comment that actually adds something worthwhile to the discussion.

And no, I don't agree that it doesn't matter. Cause Capcom may think they can get away with it in a hypothetical sequel as well.
They got lucky that the strong selling point for a lot of fans was the combat but next time they better learn from the experience of developing DMC4 and focus. Organize their resources better.

Considering some fans use the excuse of "Devil May Cry is just about gameplay", I doubt Capcom would.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
From what I heard, originally Dante and Nero were both suppose to have their own campaigns. Nero's campaign was apparently very close to the final game's. While Dante was suppose to be trapped in hell (which leads me to believe the game was suppose to be a sequel to DMC2). Furthermore Dante was meant to have his own bosses (Gilgamash, Pandora, and Lucifer). Nero would have had his own devil arms, and even his own styles.

Least that's what this guy says
Didn't I post this on another thread? o_O

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I heard Capcom wanted to release it on time so instead of postponing release they released it without finishing. Personally I didn't even noticed it when i played first time, since I wasn't disappointed by it. But fi they finished it, it most likely would have been best DMC game up to date.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
It's a shared hope, buddy, and now that I think about it... do you think that no DMC5 in the near future is actually a good thing? Because they can actually focus on it and not rush it?

Granted, I'm freakin tired of waiting, DMC5 is becoming like Jesus' second coming, but I think that's a legit question.
its a good thing because people can let it go and move on but there is no guarantee that if they announce DMC5 5 years from it be what you want or any good.

there isnt an easy answer

Top Bottom