• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why couldnt they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keaton

Premium
^I assume you are reffering to DMC3:SE, where you play the same story that Dante has but with a Virgil character.

I was hoping for a new story to, but it involves so much work it would have been waaaay too costly and also too large to put on one disk (if you have Dantes playable to). Making the best part of 40 new movie sequences, 20 new (or atleast resesigned) missions, another 20 Secret missions too...it was just too big a task for a perk ^_^

Evil Nero

They could have done it DMC2 style with Lucrecia's story on one disc and Dante's on another. shame really.

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Great answer, Keaton. +rep

Another thing to bear in mind, folks, is that while I'm sure Capcom want to churn out the best games possible, they also want to ensure that they make a profit. Personally, my theory is that the Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition was a marketing (albeit a great one) move to shift extra copies of their product. You'll notice that movies are given "special editions" and "super special editions" long after their original release because it's a cheaper alternative than to release new films. Why not re-spin the same old product over and over ago but each time gradually releasing a slither of new content?

I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom had already began to implement Vergil into the original Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening, but I imagine that with budget and time constraints meant that his portion of the game were left unfinished and simply dropped out of the final product.

Now, Capcom aren't stupid, they know how popular Vergil is and know that fans would be very eager to play the entire Devil May Cry 3 campaign as him. They probably figured: Why not re-release Devil May Cry 3 - with a teency bit more content to justify the "Special Edition" labelling - and hire in a team of programmers to finish up and tidy off the project.

Anyway, to cut a long story short: I imagine Capcom had already half-implemented Vergil into the original DMC3 but had to pull the plug on him due to time/budget. My guess is that the Special Edition that we have now was at one time going to be the original DMC3. Just my uneducated theory anyway. I'm probably totally wrong but figured I'd throw in my two cents.

Keaton

Premium
^I think your spot on DMC :)

The biggest problem Capcom faced was that after the drop in popularity after DMC2's reception they probably couldn't justify such an additional cost, which explains why after the HIGHLY postive reviews and sales when DMC3:DA launched they decided to revive it.

+rep to you

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Well, the truth is they couldn't. After Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening was made, Capcom immediately started working on Devil May Cry 4. Back then, they had promised that this game would be available on Playstation 2. After a while, they noticed that this game, cannot be in Playstation 2, due to its limitations. Therefore they moved on Playstation 3 and shortly afterwards, to X-Box 360 and PC. However, they remembered their promise, that the next Devil May Cry would be available to Playstation 2, so they went back to Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening to do some modifications. More pictures to unlock, Bloody Palace, a whole new difficulty, Vergil, Vergil's new clothes, and finally when they get to create more cut-scenes for Vergil, the disc did not have any more space. So they left it at that. They could not restart the whole project since they had their hands tied with the production of Devil May Cry 4, so that's how Special Edition was born. And that is why Vergil has only 2 cut-scenes.

Trish67

Bad a$$ Gunslinger
it doesn't really tick me off that much that Vergil doesn't have his own story line. but it really ticks me off that when you are supposed to fight Dante, you fight yourself in a red coat. (I call him, Vante)

Vergilissexy

Wesker's #1 fan!
^I agree, it's kinda cool, but at the same time it's like..."this is bootleg." XD
Tony_Redgrave;101552 said:
Well, the truth is they couldn't. After Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening was made, Capcom immediately started working on Devil May Cry 4. Back then, they had promised that this game would be available on Playstation 2. After a while, they noticed that this game, cannot be in Playstation 2, due to its limitations. Therefore they moved on Playstation 3 and shortly afterwards, to X-Box 360 and PC. However, they remembered their promise, that the next Devil May Cry would be available to Playstation 2, so they went back to Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening to do some modifications. More pictures to unlock, Bloody Palace, a whole new difficulty, Vergil, Vergil's new clothes, and finally when they get to create more cut-scenes for Vergil, the disc did not have any more space. So they left it at that. They could not restart the whole project since they had their hands tied with the production of Devil May Cry 4, so that's how Special Edition was born. And that is why Vergil has only 2 cut-scenes.
*Kiss* +rep. ^^

Sparda™

^ LOL!

The Special Edition came from the popularity Dante's brother, Vergil, had created. The limitation of the disk's space, gave to us what we see now in DMC3: SE - Vergil's repeating the same missions and the lack of proper cut-scenes.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
If they did, let's just say production time and costs would be several months and several million dollars on the rough side of uncomfortable.

Considering DMC3:SE was dirt cheap in the first place, to make a story for Vergil would have seriously put an increase in production time and costs, meaning we wouldn't have gotten the game so cheap and it quite probably would have made it quite bland across the board.

I was just happy with the fact that we got a chance to play with Dante's twisted but awesome brother, the fact that he didn't have a load of his own dedicated cutscenes didn't really matter to me or to a lot of people for that matter.

Sparda™

I wasn't bothered with the absence of some cut-scenes and missions dedicated to him. I enjoyed and I still enjoy having him as a playable character.^_^

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
My point precisely Dante, the charm of DMC3:SE came from the fact that you could play as Vergil, the fact that you were basically replaying the original game with different characters REALLY didn't bother a lot of people and as I said, if Capcom did do so, it;d make the game uncomfortably expensive.

Sure, they may have basically used my favourite Hot-Keys (CTRL+C - CTRL+V) to make the game, but because they threw in so many extras and Vergil to top it off, it was still a masterpiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom