• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Who is stronger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Who is stronger out of Dante and Nero? I'm not saying who would win in a one to one fight consisting of Dante and Nero, I mean which one would you say was stronger?

I'll list some achievements both of them have made and reasons as to why I made my choice of who I thought was strongest out of the two.

Dante's Achievements

Managed to defeat Arkham in the Demon World.

- However, Dante needed Vergil's help with this. Reasons being he wasn't powerful enough alone to stop the power, and that he hadn't had lots of experience in the Devil Hunting field considering he was younger at the time.

Managed to defeat Mundus on Mallet Island.

- Needed to adorn much of his father's true power, that he alone wouldn't of been able to seal Mundus unless Trish had arrived.

Managed to defeat Sanctus in Fortuna.

Managed to defeat Vergil on several occasions, in Devil May Cry 3 and in Devil May Cry 1 (When Vergil was Nelo Angelo).

- However, Vergil managed to defeat Dante on top of Temen-Ni-Gru.

Managed to defeat Argosax.

- However, Dante 'disappeared' after this boss battle. We could assume many things from this. Either he got stuck in Hell (Where surely he wouldn't be welcome) which would lead us to assume that he died. Or he returned on a motorbike. Yet he was fighting on Dumary Island. So If I'm not mistaken, Dante would of needed a plane or a boat to return to his shop, not a bike that can ride on water.

Nero's Achievements

Managed to defeat Credo.

Managed to defeat The Saviour.

Okay, so looking at it, Dante clearly has made far more substantial achievements than Nero. But granted, Dante is a son of Sparda and has been around a lot longer than Nero has. He has had far more experience, so why should Nero get voted for being stronger? Observe that in many cases, Dante probably wouldn't of succeeded in defeating enemies if it wasn't for the fact that he had a helping hand. The last Mundus fight, Dante would of got backed into the wall and just torn to shreds I can imagine (He was dealing with the King of the Underworld remember) Vergil also had a chance to completely eradicate his twin brother, but he chose not to. He also needed Vergil's help with defeating Arkham (He was not much younger than Nero is at this time) Yet if Nero would of fought Arkham, he could of obliterated him with the Devil Bringer I'd imagine.

So as you can probably tell, my choice is Nero. I personally think he is stronger. I don't picture him as half demon, or even a quarter demon. I don't really picture him as a demon at all. To me he seems the most human. He has been tainted or whatever, cursed with his demon arm. Something he never asked for. But after coming to terms with it, it doesn't take him long to get to grips with handling it. He fights Dante and gives even Dante a good run for his money, laying down some very good moves on the more experienced Devil Hunter. Dante may of gone easy or not wanted to really cause any harm to Nero, but regardless to that Nero still handled the confrontations and came out without so much of a scratch on him. From there on, Nero is the main one to help restore peace and order within Fortuna. Dante is there to help, but Nero's basically running the show (I mean yeah, it was Nero's story and his game ultimately) but Dante lets him do pretty much all of it, right down to defeating The Saviour. Perhaps Nero found the last boss difficult, he would of. But he still manages to muster up the power to extend his arm at a ridiculous length and size and destroy The Saviour with it. He practically defeats the last boss in a single move, the hardest enemy in the whole game with one single move. Something Dante has never managed to achieve. And given time, Nero could do so much more with his new found strength. Which is why I think Nero is stronger than Dante. It comes down to actual strength. Dante was born with that power. As far as we're aware, Nero was not. And if he wasn't, then he's managed to control and utilize his power a lot quicker and more effectively than Dante ever did.

Opinions please.

Meg

Nero defeated the Savior with Dante's help. :p Neither of them is invincible. They both need some back up to fight truly powerful enemies. I think Dante is stronger as of now. He's got more experience which is a strength in itself. However, I think in time Nero will have the potential to match Dante if not surpass him. But as of now my vote goes to Dante. :)

Lili Rochefort

we live to make impossible, possible!
Nero is stronger I guess...
his hand is unique! :D
Dante couldn't blast the savior's face as Nero did with his hand!
and also... in game Nero is stronger! ;) or at least I can play as him better! :p

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
You both make very good points. I can understand where you're coming from Meg. If Dante hadn't of weakened The Saviour then Nero may not of been able to destroy him that easy. But the way he finishes the main boss of the game just seems kind of like he did all the work. Even though Dante did fight against the big baddie and destroy all those crystals. I guess it kind of made me forget that Dante had helped, probably because that's Nero's game really. He takes the spotlight in the end. I agree, I think they both do need a helping hand. What I find probably made Nero stronger in Devil May Cry 4 was the fact that he was fighting for something more than Dante was. He was fighting for himself, to protect the people of Fortuna and all of his loved ones (Especially Kyrie) If he holds that much love for them all and still wishes to protect them, he'll ultimately continue and gain the experience Dante has. And perhaps like you said, surpass him. But I meant like brute strength. Dante is stronger in so many aspects, which Nero will eventually be as good in. But in physical strength my vote is for Nero, because his arm is very powerful and can deal a hell of a lot of damage.

Meg

You both make very good points. I can understand where you're coming from Meg. If Dante hadn't of weakened The Saviour then Nero may not of been able to destroy him that easy. But the way he finishes the main boss of the game just seems kind of like he did all the work. even though Dante did fight against the big baddie and destroy all those crystals. I guess it kind of made me forget that Dante had helped, probably because that's Nero's game really. He takes the spotlight in the end. I agree, I think they both do need a helping hand. What I find probably made Nero stronger in Devil May Cry 4 was the fact that he was fighting for something more than Dante was. He was fighting for himself, to protect the people of Fortuna and all of his loved ones (Especially Kyrie) If he holds that much love for them all and still wishes to protect them, he'll ultimately continue and gain the experience Dante has. And perhaps like you said, surpass him. But I meant like brute strength. Dante is stronger in so many aspects, which Nero will eventually be as good in. But in physical strength my vote is for Nero, because his arm is very powerful and can deal a hell of a lot of damage.
Nero's arm hardly counts as physical strength because its magic. :p
PLUS! Is Dante didn't weaken the Savior and use Yamato to free Nero then Nero wouldn't have been able to defeat Sanctus.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Nero's arm hardly counts as physical strength because its magic. :p
PLUS! Is Dante didn't weaken the Savior and use Yamato to free Nero then Nero wouldn't have been able to defeat Sanctus.

Whether that may be, it's still pretty powerful you have to admit :p

Yeah that's a good point, but Dante does have the experience. I suppose why I'm choosing Nero is because I can see him being on par with or somewhat surpassing Dante's power eventually. If you compare Nero's strength to Dante's strength (Devil May Cry 4 Nero to Devil May Cry 3 Dante) I think Nero comes out on top. This is why I'm picking Nero in terms of physical strength.

Meg

Whether that may be, it's still pretty powerful you have to admit :p

Yeah that's a good point, but Dante does have the experience. I suppose why I'm choosing Nero is because I can see him being on par with or somewhat surpassing Dante's power eventually. If you compare Nero's strength to Dante's strength (Devil May Cry 4 Nero to Devil May Cry 3 Dante) I think Nero comes out on top. This is why I'm picking Nero in terms of physical strength.
True. Nero is about DMC3 Dante's age (I think) and yet I'd say Nero is already stronger than Dante was in 3. However, since Nero is a trained soldier I think that has something to do with it. I doubt Dante was ever in the National Guard. XD

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
True. Nero is about DMC3 Dante's age (I think) and yet I'd say Nero is already stronger than Dante was in 3. However, since Nero is a trained soldier I think that has something to do with it. I doubt Dante was ever in the National Guard. XD

No I don't think he ever was lol However, Dante must of had training before Devil May Cry 3, yet when he does fight in 3 he doesn't seem on the same level as Nero was in 4. Remember that Dante was fighting his own brother in Devil May Cry 3 on top of Temen-Ni-Gru, and Vergil got the upper-hand? He was fighting Vergil for the first time in that game and he essentially lost the fight. He fights Nero for the first time at the beginning of Devil May Cry 4, as to which he also essentially loses. Unless you count Nero as having the strength of Sparda in him (Being a descendant or whatever) he would of got his butt kicked, but he didn't. And Nero had no prior experience with anything as powerful as Dante before (I'd imagine) which could lead us to assume many things about Nero's past. What if Nero had fought beings as strong as Dante had before? Nero could of had his own prequel before Dante showed up. He was already covering up his arm, meaning it had gotten to the stage of being visible. What if he'd had his own little adventure before Dante came crashing down on them all from above.

Meg

As far as Dante "losing" in the beginning of DMC4 I think that was more because 1) It would be sad if the game's main protagonist got his butt kicked right off the bat and 2) Dante was not taking the fight seriously. He does say that he underestimated Nero.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
As far as Dante "losing" in the beginning of DMC4 I think that was more because 1) It would be sad if the game's main protagonist got his butt kicked right off the bat and 2) Dante was not taking the fight seriously. He does say that he underestimated Nero.

Yeah I do agree with your points, I don't think Dante was really giving it his all. But if he had of taken the fight seriously, he could of done a lot of damage to Nero. But I think if you were to put Nero up against Dante at the end of Devil May Cry 4, after Nero's just crushed The Saviour's face off, then Nero may of been on par. Which is really saying a lot since that was Nero's first big adventure (That we're aware of)

Meg

Yeah I do agree with your points, I don't think Dante was really giving it his all. But if he had of taken the fight seriously, he could of done a lot of damage to Nero. But I think if you were to put Nero up against Dante at the end of Devil May Cry 4, after Nero's just crushed The Saviour's face off, then Nero may of been on par. Which is really saying a lot since that was Nero's first big adventure (That we're aware of)
Oh well in THAT case Dante is stronger because for Nero to randomly be that much better than Dante would make him overpowered/unrealistic and I reject those characters with a passion. (Note: I do not think Nero is either of those things.) XD

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Oh well in THAT case Dante is stronger because for Nero to randomly be that much better than Dante would make him overpowered/unrealistic and I reject those characters with a passion. (Note: I do not think Nero is either of those things.) XD

Yeah Dante's power does seem more realistic than Nero's. They did kind of just shove Nero in there and overpower him a little too early, which wasn't a great idea and was a little confusing. But I'm just thinking, if they're overpowering Nero more than Dante then who can I truly pick? Ah forget it, I'm picking Dante. I bet if Dante really wanted to he could kill Nero. Who was I kidding? I guess I was just thinking about who seemed stronger in Devil May Cry 4, which means my opinion was unintentionally biased because Devil May Cry 4 was Nero's game anyway.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I totally forgot about Trish helping Dante to beat Mundus. She does indeed. . .

Also I would say, that on the occasion Vergil beat Dante atop Temen-Ni-Gru, he did it with ease. I expect Dante was inexperienced and not taking the fight as seriously as he should have - it looks to me like he didn't expect Vergil to 'kill him', which then pushed Dante over the edge and awakened his latent power. But before this point, Dante hadn't even been able to DT by choice. So before that moment, I'd say Dante was definitely weaker than Vergil - he wasn't making use of that demonic strength much. Later however, Dante beats Vergil with what seems like ease too. I expect because part of the theme of the DMC games is that embracing your human side is a strength, not a weakness, and that strength on its own is not enough. Vergil, even though he is apparently the better fighter, runs out of strength sooner. Sprinter vs long-distance.

Because certain characters claim that Dante is actually more powerful than Sparda himself, I assumed this would be because of some human trait - but Sparda beat Mundus on his own and Dante needed help. So I'm not sure what is meant by Dante being more powerful - maybe not literally... maybe in his attitude or his ability to keep on going. His namesake does mean 'endurance', which is a different kind of strength to strength per se...

With Nero - I just dunno. He seems so powerful and yet Dante should be more so, unless Nero is somehow directly given Sparda's power. If he were only 1/4 demon it doesn't seem to make sense he's this powerful. Nero doesn't make much sense in general.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
one thing no one has mentioned yet is that the Savior was bairly functioning when Nero finished it. and Nero failed to kill most of the bosses in the game while Dante was able to kill almost every enemy he faced (except Nero of course and the Savior he let Nero finish off). and when Dante and Nero fought Dante wasn't even trying and Nero still had to fight with everything he had. Nero has a lot of raw power but Dante is alot stronger and will probably always be at least a little bit stronger.

Nessy

Dante is shown stopping the saviours punch, and then throwing it off him, I'd say that is a 30 ton feat right there. In the 4th game nero is shown to have difficulty where dante never seems to be challenged at all.

Also I am pretty sure it is obvious that the developers meant for dante to be stronger, and able to achieve more than nero was.

I am not a fanboy of dante or anything but I don't see how there can realistically be any argument that nero can compete with dante in anyway; about destroying the saviour, dante tells nero that he has to hurry before he destroys the thing.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Stronger... it's difficult to say. Do you pick the older guy who is a direct descendent of the most powerful demon, who has years and years of experience behind him to hone his powers to absolute perfection, OR, do you pick the young guy who has his age count in his favour (younger usually means more stamina, more energy), who is third generation to the most powerful demon, and has minimal experience dealing with bosses?
Both have their pros and cons.
Dante's experience makes him better at combat, but not necessarily stronger.
Nero's age means his power is raw and untamed, but again it doesn't necessarily make him stronger.
I'd have to say they'll probably be equal in strength. If they were to face off with each other and they were both Nero's age, there'd probably be a lot of blood everywhere and they'd both come off second to one another. If they were both Dante's age, then we'd possibly have an epic fight that lasts until one of them gets bored or decides they've had enough. They both have embraced their human sides, so it won't be another fight like Dante and Vergil, considering Dante had the upper hand (even if Vergil was the better fighter).
They'd just be equal.
The question is, does brute strength beat experience, or does experience beat brute strength? I don't think there's a black and white answer to that.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I wouldn't say Nero is weak. He's just not as experienced as Dante is yet. Give it time, he'll get there. I think D_S made some really good points. Let's not disagree here, it's our opinion remember?

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
I wouldn't say Nero is weak. He's just not as experienced as Dante is yet. Give it time, he'll get there. I think D_S made some really good points. Let's not disagree here, it's our opinion remember?
That's too bad, I am not the kind of guy who will blindlessly agree with what someone says. By the way you disagree with my statement about Nero, but I can't disagree with what that person said. That's not cool.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
That's too bad, I am not the kind of guy who will blindlessly agree with what someone says. By the way you disagree with my statement about Nero, but I can't disagree with what that person said. That's not cool.

I didn't agree/disagree with anyone, I just said for us to not disagree with opinion. I think you misunderstood me. In my opinion, I wouldn't say Nero was weak. I'd just say that he only started out in Devil May Cry 4, and he isn't really as experienced as Dante is yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom