• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Who is Dante?

Who is Dante?

• Total voters

Devils Never Cry

Devil Hunter
Premium
In other words, which voice actor do you think best suits Dante?

I personally think Drew Coombs was the best VA for Dante, followed by Reuben Langdon as DMC anime Dante.

Be sure to vote in the poll as well. :)

TheManWhoMakesDevilsCry

Devil May Cry's a rockin' baby, yeah!
This is a really hard choice for me as I think both Drew Coombs and Reuben Langdon were fitting voices for Dante, and I wish I could choose both.

If I really had to choose, I would say Coombs. That's the voice we were introduced to Dante with, and is the voice I remember most because of that. Plus I'm used to hearing his voice the most because DMC1 is my most played DMC game, and his voice was used in Viewtiful Joe on the PS2.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I actually was thinking of doing it, then I realized how obvious that would've been
20070526081818!CaptainobviousChooseOption.jpg

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
For old Dante, it's definitely Lagdoon. in DMC3, he really carried that momentous energy and hyper active voice that fit Dante at that age. However from there, I give it to Drew Coombs. He displayed the more mature voice for Dante for DMC1 and I wished he was still Dante after that.

For new Dante, he's only had one voice actor excluding that 2010TGS trailer and the CGI trailer. So obviously Tim Phillips.

Reuben Langdon.
As others said,he had that energy and spontaneity to fit Dante's character. In DMC4 I didn't even recognise his voice because I thought they replaced him.He had a more mature voice,or he tried to make it so,but it came off pretty well.I'd actually like to see him voicing Dante in a new DMC.

Coombs was fine,his voice is fitting for a more mature Dante but if it wasn't for that dialogue in DMC1,really,he could have a done a better job if it wasn't for that dialogue. :facepalm: But as the voice actor for a more mature Dante (in DMC) he's fitting.

And Phillips.I can't see Dante in DmC without his voice,it sounds just right for a young modern Dante .

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Another thing I have to note is that Kaminsky actually was pretty good considering the script he was given.
Each one of the 4 English Dante's was able to hold their own and bring their own charm to the role

Coombs: Aside from the 'Dark soul with light" line, Coombs used his deeper voice to his advantage, the voice was very cheesy, yet at the same time, I could take it seriously. Reminds me of the first Rocky in that aspect.
Flaws: Not enough Cuhrayzee

Kaminsky: Kaminsky is to Dante what Haydensen is to Anakin Skywalker. He had his shining moments, and you could definitely see he was trying, at the same time, no one could have saved that performance
Flaw: Didn't have enough dialogue to have any :p

Langdon: To me, Langdon was, and IS the iconic Dante. In terms of Devil May Cry, both the Mo-cap and the voice actor have to be ENERGETIC. Not to mention, something that really gave Reuben the advantage as Dante, was that he was visibly having fun with the role, which made the fun Dante was having visible.
Flaws: Reuben tries his hardest in the 4th, but just can't save the lack of seriousness. In the 3rd, some of the later boss-lines were pretty lackluster.

Phillips: It's no secret on this forum that Phillips was my least favorite Dante, but I have to give credit where credit is due. Being an actual screen actor, and due to enhanced mo-cap, Phillips had the most convincing facial expressions of them all.
Flaws: Not really the best at disguising his voice

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
DMC3 Lagdon....no. post-DMC Anime/DMC4 Lagdon, yes.

I don't know what it is, but Reuben Lagdon sounds nasally and annoying as Dante in DMC3. Every time he whoops or laughs or says even a line of dialogue, he sounds empty-headed and exaggerated, like Lagdon's trying way, way too hard to sound cocky.

At least in later entries he sounded more laid-back and reasonably normal. I don't know what kind of phase he was going through for the third game.

Tim Phillips sounded good for the role he was playing, and balanced the street-smart but inquistive nature of a more casual, and down-to-earth character...which is exactly what NT was going for. I think my only complaint with him was some of the battle-grunts, but I'm fairly certain he didn't have any prior experience with something like that from a previous role like Lagdon did...so I won't hold it against him.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I liked Langdon voice. He sounds pretty spot-on on Dante's attitude. He's probably the most memorable performer for Dante. Coobs done good job, but his voice tend to sound over to dramatic and sometimes awkward. Especially by "slow down, babe" quote. He was trying to hard, imo. Tim was pretty unmemorable, aside from some awkward sounds he made. Especially that attempt at scream when Munduss gobbled Vergil.

Top Bottom