• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Where are taunts ?

ZeroLove

Aw you ruined it, you berk. :(

The point still stands though; Taunting serves a purpose in the classic games in terms of both characterisation and gameplay, and it's absence detracts from the unique identity that the series has had in the past. We can all appreciate the notion of adapting an IP with the times, but when it comes at the cost of removing established elements in such a way that reduces depth from the gameplay without adding new mechanics that significantly improve on established elements, it's not a fair trade.

Though DmC is indeed a Devil May Cry game, it is still a reboot. They added something new and took other stuff away. Taunts was one of the things they cut away, because NT/Capcom didn't think it was worth having in the game. The gameplay of DmC doesn't need taunts, it works well without them. It's not like they had taunts as part of the gameplay and then took it away afterwards. It was never planned to be added. Taunts would just be extra filling.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Besides, when were taunts introduced into DMC games? I don't remember them in 1 or 2, but maybe that's because I never saw the need to use taunt. I certainly remember them in 4 though.
So it's not a staple part of the series if it hasn't been in every single game.

ZeroLove

Besides, when were taunts introduced into DMC games? I don't remember them in 1 or 2, but maybe that's because I never saw the need to use taunt. I certainly remember them in 4 though.
So it's not a staple part of the series if it hasn't been in every single game.

I believe it was in DMC3.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Technically they started in DMC1, but it was just a gun wave to egg the enemy on and didn't really do anything, it was a nifty little Easter Egg then. DMC3 is where active taunts and mechanics effect started, yeah.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Taunting was used to generate magic in DMC1 as well. And there was two different versions, one tap and one hold. The hold lasted a bit longer, but it also gave more magic.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Did it? I'll have to double check when I can get my PS2 copies out again, but I don't remember taunting really doing much...

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Did it? I'll have to double check when I can get my PS2 copies out again, but I don't remember taunting really doing much...

Yup, it made the game easy enough for generating magic and keeping yourself with some DT at the ready. Did nothing for the Style meter, though.

Mystiq Doom

See I defend Tameem, because I like this game, but...he makes it HARD AS HELL sometimes. By excluding taunts he just shows his unwillingness to understand the series that he's working on at it's essence. That, as a fan of the series ****es me off. Taunting works for ANY Devil May Cry narrative because the point of the way Dante fights is that he's so powerful, he never truly feels like he's in danger. That's why he has fun while fighting and that's why he doesn't just fight like Vergil (simple, to the point). Even in the context of the game there's no reason why Dante shouldn't/couldn't/wouldn't be taunting his enemies. He DOES in fact, taunt EVERYONE in a scripted way.

Hypocrisy on NTs part.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Even in it's baby steps the Taunt was an invaluable tool for getting through the highest difficulties. Subsequently 3 and 4 evolved the concept to make a greater Risk/Reward dynamic to it's use.

You know what makes me sad? There's no thread protesting the absence of the high-tier-incredibly-hard-to-pull-off-stuff we used to have in the series like Distortion Real Impact and Juggernaut Visual. Those bugs that were really hard to pull off but made you feel totally badass when you got good with them.

http://devilmaycry.wikia.com/wiki/Distorted_Combo

All we have now is Ophion spam...

See I defend Tameem, because I like this game, but...he makes it HARD AS HELL sometimes. By excluding taunts he just shows his unwillingness to understand the series that he's working on at it's essence. That, as a fan of the series ****es me off. Taunting works for ANY Devil May Cry narrative because the point of the way Dante fights is that he's so powerful, he never truly feels like he's in danger. That's why he has fun while fighting and that's why he doesn't just fight like Vergil (simple, to the point). Even in the context of the game there's no reason why Dante shouldn't/couldn't/wouldn't be taunting his enemies. He DOES in fact, taunt EVERYONE in a scripted way.

Hypocrisy on NTs part.

I can't help but wonder if the lack of Taunt is actually a characterisation quirk held over from the 2010 Dante.

That Dante didn't seem like the kind of character who would make juvenile taunts at his enemies, and was so beaten-down and tormented that he couldn't manifest that kind of egotism. The Dante they settled on insults everyone practically all the time, so it's incongruous for it not to be a(n optional) gameplay feature.

zingar

i just created an account to post how much i miss them :(
even though i just finished the game for the first time i am already missing them and will probably do so way more when i try to SSS the game on DMD
i also cant believe that so few people complained about this
so far is the thing that buggs me most (some more cool cinematics wouldnt have hurt in which they showed dantes super reflexes / strength and stuff but oh well)
and no offense but if you dont miss em its probably because you didnt play DMC3 & 4 on DMD

i cant explain the feeling but is there even another game with such a thing? i mean normally you would do it for its usefulness (fill the meter and increase style) but it was pretty nice to see you yelling taunts to demons and just showing them how little you cared for them and i also feel it was in line with the games direction / narrative because it added the comedy factor to the fights and showed just how badass dante was
i mean in almost every cinematic hes making a joke or doing some ridiculous stuff so the taunts made perfect sense to me in every way and were also something fun and different to do than just fighting

DankestDarkness

Wondering sprit from hell
I miss the taunt button I always used it the taunt was a great way to get some devil energy style rank and god dammit it look cool and funny what they do for thier taunts to the demons

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
i just created an account to post how much i miss them :(
even though i just finished the game for the first time i am already missing them and will probably do so way more when i try to SSS the game on DMD
i also cant believe that so few people complained about this
so far is the thing that buggs me most (some more cool cinematics wouldnt have hurt in which they showed dantes super reflexes / strength and stuff but oh well)
and no offense but if you dont miss em its probably because you didnt play DMC3 & 4 on DMD

i cant explain the feeling but is there even another game with such a thing? i mean normally you would do it for its usefulness (fill the meter and increase style) but it was pretty nice to see you yelling taunts to demons and just showing them how little you cared for them and i also feel it was in line with the games direction / narrative because it added the comedy factor to the fights and showed just how badass dante was
i mean in almost every cinematic hes making a joke or doing some ridiculous stuff so the taunts made perfect sense to me in every way and were also something fun and different to do than just fighting

It was a beloved feature. DMC was pretty much the only videogame in existence where your character has such a roiling, unfettered ego that he becomes more powerful just by rubbing his adversary's failure to kill him right in their faces, and it was integrated into the experience by making it an interactive part of the gameplay. It's thrilling to use, as you try to pick the exact moment to employ it and when to stop, trying to push up your style as high as possible without an errant blow knocking you down and destroying your current ranking.
Trust me, I know that feel.
The only other example I can think of is this guy.

Triceranuke

Even in it's baby steps the Taunt was an invaluable tool for getting through the highest difficulties. Subsequently 3 and 4 evolved the concept to make a greater Risk/Reward dynamic to it's use.

You know what makes me sad? There's no thread protesting the absence of the high-tier-incredibly-hard-to-pull-off-stuff we used to have in the series like Distortion Real Impact and Juggernaut Visual. Those bugs that were really hard to pull off but made you feel totally badass when you got good with them.

http://devilmaycry.wikia.com/wiki/Distorted_Combo

All we have now is Ophion spam...

I can't help but wonder if the lack of Taunt is actually a characterisation quirk held over from the 2010 Dante.

That Dante didn't seem like the kind of character who would make juvenile taunts at his enemies, and was so beaten-down and tormented that he couldn't manifest that kind of egotism. The Dante they settled on insults everyone practically all the time, so it's incongruous for it not to be a(n optional) gameplay feature.
I generally disagree with you, Macabre but that was an excellent post and I definitely see where you're coming from.
I love the game but I wish NT had just gone with their original idea instead of being torn between characters to appease fans. Still I didn't miss taunts too much, used them in 3 and 4 but it wasn't a big 'Man, I really hope this game has taunts when it comes out.'

Ironically, I like how much hate I had for that trailer when it came out and now I look at it and think that's pretty cool.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
I honestly don't think people understand how difficult it is to make something like a taunt animation work.... -__-
Isn't it their JOB to make the experience as enjoyable as possible for us though. As in, who gives a ****, if this DmC is so vastly superior to the original, then why the **** does the original have better abilities.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Ironically, I like how much hate I had for that trailer when it came out and now I look at it and think that's pretty cool.

I know right? I'm not one of the twats who took to the forums in protest when that trailer came out, but I remember thinking how un-Devil May Cry it seemed. Now I pine for what we may have missed...I kind of like the image of Dante whomping on demons with his bare hands rather than having access to Rebellion right at the beginning of the game. I think the idea of the game possibly being the escapist fantasy of some tormented young offender could have been kind of interesting. I like that this Dante had a beaten face that showed he'd been through hell and had the scars to show for it...

I mean, all these promotional images showing New Dante as having a bruised up mug, and in the game he never gets so much as scratched. Can't have our avatar appear weak for any reason, oh no...

Top Bottom