• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Would Vergil Of Done???

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Okay so i thought of this question this morning...had vegil succeed in getting his fathers power by opening the demonworld gate via the tower...what do you think he would have done? how would he have done it? honestly my opinion i see him getting the power porceeding into the demon world *CLOSING* the dooe behind him to prevent the demon he is seeking from escaping(mundus) proceeding into the demon world using his power to kill mundus and rule the demon world i honestly dont see him taking over both worlds he hates humans why rule over their world? but thats my opinion what do you guys think?

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
i don't think Vergil planned things out past that point. Sparda's power was the goal not a way to accomplish something else. he might not ever actually do anything with it other that probably killing whatever demons he happened to run into or he might have become a devil hunter (he has the same motive as Dante so it wouldn't be odd to do the same thing). ruling the world doesn't seem very likely, he never expressed any interest in it.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
i don't think Vergil planned things out past that point. Sparda's power was the goal not a way to accomplish something else. he might not ever actually do anything with it other that probably killing whatever demons he happened to run into or he might have become a devil hunter (he has the same motive as Dante so it wouldn't be odd to do the same thing). ruling the world doesn't seem very likely, he never expressed any interest in it.

See i believe that too but i really think the whole sparda's power thing was for one thing..killing mundus..but he doesnt seem the rule the world type except the demon world he would def want to be top dog there the human world..he thinks of humans as cattle i dont see him concernign himself much with this world the only reason his actions affected humans is because the tower was here had the tower been in another deserted demension(limbo) i dont even believe vergil would have been seen as evil considering peoples biggest arguement to his "evilness" was the fact that he endangered the earth

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
See i believe that too but i really think the whole sparda's power thing was for one thing..killing mundus..but he doesnt seem the rule the world type except the demon world he would def want to be top dog there the human world..he thinks of humans as cattle i dont see him concernign himself much with this world the only reason his actions affected humans is because the tower was here had the tower been in another deserted demension(limbo) i dont even believe vergil would have been seen as evil considering peoples biggest arguement to his "evilness" was the fact that he endangered the earth

he didn't express interest in ruling any world, human, demon, angel or anything else and while killing Mundus is something Vergil would be likely to want to do it wasn't his goal.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
he didn't express interest in ruling any world, human, demon, angel or anything else and while killing Mundus is something Vergil would be likely to want to do it wasn't his goal.

What do you think his goal was? and really you dont think he saw himself ruling the demon world? strongest demon in the realm like his father?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I'm guessing that since he adulated Sparda, he would've tried to follow in his footsteps, sort of. I see him killing Mundus, and ruling over the demon world in his stead. I sure as hell don't see him attending a meeting to elect a new demon ruler :p Imagine Beowulf sitting at a small round table XD

He never really seemed to care about humans, so he might want to close off the entrance to the human world. But then, we don't know much about him, do we? Maybe he wanted that power to protect something: ''without strength, you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself.'' (Vergil to Dante in DMC3). I first understood this as him wanting more power because he failed to protect his mother from the demons. If he wants to protect the demon world, ''our father's home'', then he would need that power. Then again, he could also have meant protecting his legacy, i.e. his child or his wife and child. But there's no evidence in the games that he actually had a child. Besides, he would've had Nero when he was eleven or so.

I suppose he may have been thinking about having a family, in order to continue the Sparda bloodline. Seems like an honorable thing to do. Selfish but honorable. He died before he got the chance to have one.

Edit: OR maybe by protecting something, he meant the human world. As he could close the gate with Sparda's power, he would've accomplished that.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
I'm guessing that since he adulated Sparda, he would've tried to follow in his footsteps, sort of. I see him killing Mundus, and ruling over the demon world in his stead. I sure as hell don't see him attending a meeting to elect a new demon ruler :p Imagine Beowulf sitting at a small round table XD

He never really seemed to care about humans, so he might want to close off the entrance to the human world. But then, we don't know much about him, do we? Maybe he wanted that power to protect something: ''without strength, you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself.'' (Vergil to Dante in DMC3). I first understood this as him wanting more power because he failed to protect his mother from the demons. If he wants to protect the demon world, ''our father's home'', then he would need that power. Then again, he could also have meant protecting his legacy, i.e. his child or his wife and child. But there's no evidence in the games that he actually had a child. Besides, he would've had Nero when he was eleven or so.

I suppose he may have been thinking about having a family, in order to continue the Sparda bloodline. Seems like an honorable thing to do. Selfish but honorable. He died before he got the chance to have one.

Thank god im not the only one that see's vergil as more then just a selfish villian lionheart i appreciate your opinion

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
In the end(had vergil survived) i see him sitting on the throne of the demon world and honestly i see him with a family-while dante i see in his shop(but a much larger version sort of like a demon hunter mansion) defending the human world from demons that get free or are summoned there with the other hunters nero, trish, lady etc although with vergil governing the demon world im not sure many demons would be able to leave and if you think about it i wonder if he would grow bored and start trying to take over the human world two or merge them into one world so he can rule both?

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Vergil: I did it! Killed my brother AND gained my Father's power! I am unstoppable!

(brief moment of silence)

Vergil: Man, victory is boring.

more like

Vergil: I did it! Killed my brother AND gained my Father's power! I am unstoppable!

(brief moment of silence)

Vergil: Man, victory is boring

Vergil: Oh well off to kill Mundus, Avenge my mother and rule the demon world as my own

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
What do you think his goal was? and really you dont think he saw himself ruling the demon world? strongest demon in the realm like his father?

i already said what his goal was. the power itself was his goal. he didn't have any plan about what to do with it because it didn't matter.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Power is a means, not a goal/end. Vergil had enough power as it was. He undoubtedly wanted to do something with it. Whether that's ruling over the demon world and preventing the demons from harming any more humans, or simply closing the hell gate, it was something. Just killing demons with his newfound power wouldn't be different from the usual situation.

Just because Vergil didn't make it clear what his goal was doesn't mean he didn't have one.

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
Power is a means, not a goal/end. Vergil had enough power as it was. He undoubtedly wanted to do something with it. Whether that's ruling over the demon world and preventing the demons from harming any more humans, or simply closing the hell gate, it was something. Just killing demons with his newfound power wouldn't be different from the usual situation.

Just because Vergil didn't make it clear what his goal was doesn't mean he didn't have one.

USUALLY power is a means, but not for Vergil. His obsession is with power itself. He's like Accelerator from A Certain Magical Index, he wants power for power's sake.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
USUALLY power is a means, but not for Vergil. His obsession is with power itself. He's like Accelerator from A Certain Magical Index, he wants power for power's sake.

I really dont see that being true i completely agree with lionhart vergil had plenty of power he wanted more for a specific reason(s) not just for the sake of having it

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
I really dont see that being true i completely agree with lionhart vergil had plenty of power he wanted more for a specific reason(s) not just for the sake of having it

Vergil's entire personality was "i need Sparda's power". he couldn't understand why Dante didn't want it and when Dante asked why Vergil wanted it he didn't have an answer. if Vergil had a goal he would have know that Dante didn't have the same goal and he would have had an answer for Dante. every word Vergil says and every thing he does points to an irrational obsession with his father's power not a focused goal that required it.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Vergil's entire personality was "i need Sparda's power". he couldn't understand why Dante didn't want it and when Dante asked why Vergil wanted it he didn't have an answer. if Vergil had a goal he would have know that Dante didn't have the same goal and he would have had an answer for Dante. every word Vergil says and every thing he does points to an irrational obsession with his father's power not a focused goal that required it.

So you think his mother dying and revenge had nothing to do with it?? you honestly think he had no plans for this power after he got it that he was just a dog chasing a car not knowing what he would do with it once he caught it?..im sorry your entitled to your opinion but i cant accept that he was that shallow and one sided and just idk brain dead. i cant honestly believe that vergil who was looking for his fathers power"for a reason" went to the tower"for a reason" and fought and worked that hard to get the power"for a reason" did not know what he was gunna do with it

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Again, just because the answer isn't given in the game, doesn't mean there isn't one. Maybe Vergil was too embarrassed to answer Dante why he wanted that power. After all, he's a very proud guy who doesn't want to come across as emotional. If he said he was thinking about having a family (or whatever), imagine Dante's reaction.

I found the speech to Dante about not being able to protect anything without power very telling. Besides, I don't think Dante would've asked for Vergil's reasons if he had none. I think Dante may have been onto something.

Again, just because the answer isn't given in the game, doesn't mean there isn't one. Maybe Vergil was too embarrassed to answer Dante why he wanted that power. After all, he's a very proud guy who doesn't want to come across as emotional. If he said he was thinking about having a family (or whatever), imagine Dante's reaction.

I found the speech to Dante about not being able to protect anything without power very telling. Besides, I don't think Dante would've asked for Vergil's reasons if he had none. I think Dante may have been onto something.
Something like this.I think his pride and quiet personality basically has to do with the way he reacts.He isn't seen talking much,to say what he has on his mind or future plans,that's why I would have LOVED to have a little insight of what's in his mind,not really see him saying those things but what he thinks of.
It would have seemed so out of character for Vergil to brag about what he is going to do with the power,what plan he has for the future because he is the type of person not to talk much but to make things fast and efficient.I do think he was somehow confused and driven more by guilt and hunger for power to actually think of consequences.

Dante's reaction to Vergil talking about having a family:
y26q.png

Dude...you changed.
(sorry I had to)

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
So you think his mother dying and revenge had nothing to do with it?? you honestly think he had no plans for this power after he got it that he was just a dog chasing a car not knowing what he would do with it once he caught it?..im sorry your entitled to your opinion but i cant accept that he was that shallow and one sided and just idk brain dead. i cant honestly believe that vergil who was looking for his fathers power"for a reason" went to the tower"for a reason" and fought and worked that hard to get the power"for a reason" did not know what he was gunna do with it

i think that Dante and Vergil each had their own reaction to their mothers death. revenge was Dante's reaction, Vergil's was to seek power. it's not shallow, looking into why the twins each reacted the way they did is an opportunity to figure out a lot about them (or at least create interesting theories).

huh? how would Dante know if Vergil had an answer or not before asking. this entire debate proves that the default assumption is that someone would have a rational motive for seeking power.

i am not saying their is no answer just because Vergil didn't provide one. i am saying that the entirety of his behavior suggests to me that his fathers power is something he desperately feels that he needs just to feel safe or to even begin to attempt to be content with his life. Vergil already failed to protect his mother that seems like enough to motivate his actions including that speech of his.

Top Bottom