• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What do you think of Eva?

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Eva_Portrait_DmC.png

Eva was never a character that made an appearance in the originals [other than for the brief moment near the end of DMC1 where Dante hears her voice] and was mostly word of mouth, much like Sparda has been in both the original and reboot. But from the few scenes where we were introduced to Dante's mother, what did you think of her? Was she what you always imagine Eva being in the original?

Eva.jpg

For me I liked they tried to make her look different from Trish by giving her red hair instead of blonde, yet having that faint look of rsembling of Trish in her face that you can see below. But just that if Trish ever makes a debut, it'd help in her having her own identity in appearance in that she doesn't look like a copy of Eva [similar to how Maria in Silent Hill 2 had her difference from Mary.]

tumblr_mh7jq06HZm1rg4tsuo1_500.jpg

Even though I favor her being a loving mother, I was let down that she wasn't a fight, or doesn't seem to be by how vunerable she is during Vergil's Downfall. Of course that whole world is Vergil's own creation and the people in it, so that's debatable. But when I would imagine Eva in this version, I pictured her not just loving, but a strong couragous woman who fought. I think this was really down to Dante getting the Osiris and misleading mein to think 'oh, this must've belonged to her'. Still, whether it's true is not clear, but if she wasn't a fighter, I do feel like there was a missed opportunity there to make her strong other than with just her heart and will to protect her sons from Mundus.

What are your guys thoughts?

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
i prefer ginger moms over blondes :troll:
EDIT:i too wonder how she would fight sucks we never got to play as one of their parents in the reboot :/
I'm a ginger. Not a mom, but a ginger I am ^^

And god that would've been so cool, or to just have seen Eva slaying demon butt. I always used to imagine that's how her and Sparda met, then fighting at each other like that scene with the superhero couple in Hancock :lol:

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
I have always imagined the original Eva as a kind and loving mother, but with a soul made of the hardest steel.
I'd like to imagine her as some kind of witch, or at least a woman who knew something of the black arts, but as always, this is my personal imagination at work.

As for DmC Eva, I would have liked her to be an angel warrior. I don't think she is, though, because of the cutscenes in VD.
I personally think that while Kat and Dante are twisted images in Vergil's head, here, Eva is not, so we are shown her like she really is. I think so because Eva, differently from Kat and Dante, does not accuse Vergil at first, and says that she "loved Vergil and Dante equally". If she was a projection of Vergil's fears, like I think Kat and Dante are, she would have not said so, but she would have straightforwardly accused him of being the weakest of her sons, or something like that.
So yeah, my personal theories about VD do not leave space for my dream of having an angel warrior Eva...:(

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I have always imagined the original Eva as a kind and loving mother, but with a soul made of the hardest steel.
I'd like to imagine her as some kind of witch, or at least a woman who knew something of the black arts, but as always, this is my personal imagination at work.

As for DmC Eva, I would have liked her to be an angel warrior. I don't think she is, though, because of the cutscenes in VD.
I personally think that while Kat and Dante are twisted images in Vergil's head, here, Eva is not, so we are shown her like she really is. I think so because Eva, differently from Kat and Dante, does not accuse Vergil at first, and says that she "loved Vergil and Dante equally". If she was a projection of Vergil's fears, like I think Kat and Dante are, she would have not said so, but she would have straightforwardly accused him of being the weakest of her sons, or something like that.
So yeah, my personal theories about VD do not leave space for my dream of having an angel warrior Eva...:(
Now that you mention it, I wonder if Eva was the real one. Was she in some hell for falling in love with Sparda?

And it doesn't leave much room for my dream of a angel warrior Eva either T.T I'd of loved if she was like Trish in that way, but not completely the same.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
i feel as if i know more about new eva to care for her more. classic eva was just there. we didn't really know much about her except that she was human and loved her family

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Eva- THE WHORE!:lol:

Joking aside, I like the DmC version more than classic DMC. Like others have said, there's more about her; we know more, and we at least have more images of her; plus that encounter with her in downfall that gave us some insight into her personality.
And I just plain prefer this design and image of Eva to the classic one.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
New Eva for me. I just felt a better connection with her. Not a large one but a connection none the less. Plus I just love the red hair. it shows a fiery spirit.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I like the new Eva... she should've smacked Vergil's butt when he said that he killed Dante...

Eva: you killed your brother... you naughty boy! *puts Vergil over her knee*
Vergil: *cries* No mommy, he was teasing me... plus my evil doppelganger told me to do it...
Eva: I don't want you hanging around with your doppelganger anymore, he's a bad influence on you!

:laugh:

Seriously though.
They gave an insight into what this Eva was like and it made me appreciate her character more.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I like the new Eva... she should've smacked Vergil's butt when he said that he killed Dante...

Eva: you killed your brother... you naughty boy! *puts Vergil over her knee*
Vergil: *cries* No mommy, he was teasing me... plus my evil doppelganger told me to do it...
Eva: I don't want you hanging around with you doppelganger anymore, he's a bad influence on you!

:lol:

Seriously though.
They gave an insight into what this Eva was like and it made me appreciate her character more.

I really felt that mother in her talking when in VD, when Vergil said nothing after he killed hollow Dante, she said "Look at me when I'm talking to you Vergil!" just like a mom.

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
I've always liked Eva, and actually I don't think she was much changed from her original incarnation to her new one. Outside of the hair color and being an angel now, the character and story is the same: She fell in love with Sparda, sacrificed her life to save Dante's when he was a child, and gifted her sons her amulet(s). She was a unique and brave woman admired by her children and deeply hated by Mundus. Her relationship with Sparda is vague (due to Sparda having no voice of his own in either canon) but the consensus is that it was based on true love. So it was easy to transfer my affection for classic Eva to the new one.

I also would have really appreciated a more solid demonstration of her power - there's tons of implications that she was formidable, but we never actually get to hear about her applying foot to rear end the way we do with Sparda. I could accept that when she was a human and, whatever her strengths, couldn't compare to a demon's level of might, but she's an angel now and the most legend she has is that she was a loving partner and mother? Come on. Where's the awed rumors about the beautiful scythe-wielding seraphim who laid waste to demonic legions before she met her match in the terrifying Sparda? That'd be cool.

Dante47

If the next game will be more angel oriented, I would enjoy more talks of Eva.
Maybe Dante feels like he never truly met and understood his parents, so in his quest to fundamentally understand angels, he is also personally trying to learn more about his mother.
This could stir some interesting drama as well. It could be possible that Dante discovers Eva wasn't so much of a satisfactory person, and that it was Sparda, the most ironic of all people, to show her a path of enlightenment.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
If the next game will be more angel oriented, I would enjoy more talks of Eva.
Maybe Dante feels like he never truly met and understood his parents, so in his quest to fundamentally understand angels, he is also personally trying to learn more about his mother.
This could stir some interesting drama as well. It could be possible that Dante discovers Eva wasn't so much of a satisfactory person, and that it was Sparda, the most ironic of all people, to show her a path of enlightenment.
that...would actually be pretty cool...mind=blown.

Dante47

that...would actually be pretty cool...mind=blown.
It's just a suggestion.
Everyone is speculating on what DmC2 could be about, and we aren't even sure if Capcom will green light the production.
I'm just giving my two cents.

Top Bottom