• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What do you think Dante did in hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I have 3 ideas.

1) He probably went deeper in to find an exit out of hell...probably because in the past game it seems demons have found ways to exit hell even after Sparda closed off the demon world but demons have found ways to enter the human world via Mallet Island(portal was destroyed with the island), The Hell Gates(all of them even the real one were destroyed by Dante), Temen-ni-Gru(closed away......probably forever....well it was never destroyed just closed away...so it can still be used.....but since Sparda's last remaining blood relative is in hell...well there is Nero), and I don't know how demons were on Dumary Island...but I'll explain that later. Well obviously there were demons who were in the human world long before Dante was born and Sparda met Eva......but how did they get there.....I mean there was the hell gate on Fortuna Island but can demons cross overseas maybe flying and marine ones....well perhaps even after Sparda sealed away the demon world(I guess the demon world and human world were connected and demons can easily crossover at anytime but not anymore) there were some demons who remained in the human world and Sparda decided to hunt them down or some humans made ways for demons to get over here (like how human sorcerers created Temen-ni-Gru and I guess humans created the Hell Gate as well but did they do it using a Devil Arm like how the other fake gate hell gates were powered up by a Devil Arm and the true hell gate was powered up and destroyed by Yamato....wait so if that is the case then what powered up the True Hell Gate before and where did Sparda get Yamato).....I'm getting off track....so I guess Dante is looking for a portal out of hell only if he and his buddies didn't destroy all known portals.

2) Out to go kick Mundus's ass and finish him off forever. If Argosax who was herald as a demon god could be defeated too and killed too then why not Mundus....he's not God or anything I put Mundus on the same league as Zeus and look what happened to him in God of War 3 & Wrath of the Titans.

3) To find his brother Vergil.....though I used to think this....I don't anymore...Vergil blew up into many pieces and I doubt his soul went to hell its a possibility his soul was scattered all over the place and I think his soul resides with Nero(or in his arm).

4) To beat the crap out of demons for all eternity and bring hell down. I mean he is inheritor of Sparda's legacy and is his duty to protect the Earth from demons but with powerful and trustful allies and demon hunters like Nero(who too can inherit Sparda's legacy via Yamato), Trish(who has Sparda), Lucia, and Lady....I'm sure the Earth can be fine unless if events like DMC1, DMC2, DMC3, & DMC4 ever happen again they either A. need Dante or B. need to step it up.

5) He goes there to do some investigating on the demon world, explore, kick some demon a$$, learn their culture, kick some demon a$$, learn the history, kick some demon a$$, see if the demons in hell had any connection to events of the past games, kick some demon a$$, find some new worthy Devil Arms, kick some demon a$$, see what useful intel he can gather up, kick some demon a$$, see if the demons in hell are plotting another human invasion, kick some demon a$$, find an exit out of hell, kick some demon a$$, & did I mention Kick Some Demon A$$.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
did some soul searching to see if Demons were as evil as he thought they were.

went to go see if Vergil or Sparda were actually dead.

KtWtWiS43

Well we do know that after Mundus is defeated, the four most powerful demons are battling for the throne, leaving the Underworld in a state of Civil War. Presumably, Argosax is one of those demons. After appearing in DMC2, Dante would probably realize how much of a danger this civil war could pose to the human world, and venture further to bring stability to the Underworld.

Personally, Dante is half demon as well, and I feel like instead of killing all the demon leaders and basically laying waste to his entire race, or leaving the situation alone until the civil war boils over onto Earth, he might try a more diplomatic approach which would promise a more longterm and lasting peace. Maybe through a triumvurate of the remaining leaders, like in "The Sandman: Preludes & Nocturnes," or by trying to end the age old desire of demons needing to take over the human world. It's been stated in the series that "there are humans as evil as any devil, as well as kind and compassionate demons in this universe." The demons don't have to follow Mundus's ridiculous bid for power by taking over the Human World. Both worlds can live in peace.

Bit of a stretch, but Dante knows he isn't going to be around forever, and seeing where his father failed to contain the war, I feel like Dante would want to find a more permenant solution. Which of course would go to **** because of Vergil pulling strings behind the senes, which would spark the beginning of a war that threatens both worlds = Devil May Cry 5

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Well we do know that after Mundus is defeated, the four most powerful demons are battling for the throne, leaving the Underworld in a state of Civil War. Presumably, Argosax is one of those demons. After appearing in DMC2, Dante would probably realize how much of a danger this civil war could pose to the human world, and venture further to bring stability to the Underworld.

Personally, Dante is half demon as well, and I feel like instead of killing all the demon leaders and basically laying waste to his entire race, or leaving the situation alone until the civil war boils over onto Earth, he might try a more diplomatic approach which would promise a more longterm and lasting peace. Maybe through a triumvurate of the remaining leaders, like in "The Sandman: Preludes & Nocturnes," or by trying to end the age old desire of demons needing to take over the human world. It's been stated in the series that "there are humans as evil as any devil, as well as kind and compassionate demons in this universe." The demons don't have to follow Mundus's ridiculous bid for power by taking over the Human World. Both worlds can live in peace.

Bit of a stretch, but Dante knows he isn't going to be around forever, and seeing where his father failed to contain the war, I feel like Dante would want to find a more permenant solution. Which of course would go to **** because of Vergil pulling strings behind the senes, which would spark the beginning of a war that threatens both worlds = Devil May Cry 5
Dante has never shown any skill in diplomacy or any interest in leaving hostile demons alive.

KtWtWiS43

Dante has never shown any skill in diplomacy or any interest in leaving hostile demons alive.
You're right, what we should get instead is Dante killing the **** out of everything, big explosion, saves the day, smacks Trish's ass, the end.

Dante isn't just a mindless killing machine. His good soul doesn't allow for him to be, and more than once, he's spared the life of a demon who's shown compassion. Besides, we've seen in the games that simply killing everything does not work, and the demons always come back. After this constant cycle of killing, I think it'd be refreshing to see Dante surpass Sparda and try to seek a permenant solution to the Human--Demon conflict. After all, there is such a thing as good demons, and such a thing as bad demons. Dante kills demons who oppress the innocent, but should that be limited to just Humans? As far as the Underworld goes, there are innocents there and I think Dante would decide to fight for them for once. The series, before the reboot, seemed to be headed in the direction of humans and demons being essentially the same. A demon, Trish, becoming more human-like after she sacrifices herself for Dante in DMC1, Lady's statement, "Humans as evil as any devil, as well as kind and compassionate demons in this universe," in DMC3, Nero's combined Human and Demonic heritage in DMC4, as well as Dante's own split heritage in the whole series... The games clearly show that heritage doesn't matter. It is the strength of the individual soul that is important. I'd like to see Dante fight for those who are oppressed in both worlds. It'd add a touch of realism, and would allow for more growth in Dante's character, who kind of stops growing after DMC1.

Darkstar Darin

The Badass In Black
You're right, what we should get instead is Dante killing the **** out of everything, big explosion, saves the day, smacks Trish's ass, the end.

Dante isn't just a mindless killing machine. His good soul doesn't allow for him to be, and more than once, he's spared the life of a demon who's shown compassion. Besides, we've seen in the games that simply killing everything does not work, and the demons always come back. After this constant cycle of killing, I think it'd be refreshing to see Dante surpass Sparda and try to seek a permenant solution to the Human--Demon conflict. After all, there is such a thing as good demons, and such a thing as bad demons. Dante kills demons who oppress the innocent, but should that be limited to just Humans? As far as the Underworld goes, there are innocents there and I think Dante would decide to fight for them for once. The series, before the reboot, seemed to be headed in the direction of humans and demons being essentially the same. A demon, Trish, becoming more human-like after she sacrifices herself for Dante in DMC1, Lady's statement, "Humans as evil as any devil, as well as kind and compassionate demons in this universe," in DMC3, Nero's combined Human and Demonic heritage in DMC4, as well as Dante's own split heritage in the whole series... The games clearly show that heritage doesn't matter. It is the strength of the individual soul that is important. I'd like to see Dante fight for those who are oppressed in both worlds. It'd add a touch of realism, and would allow for more growth in Dante's character, who kind of stops growing after DMC1.
best part: smack's Trish's ass :lol:

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami

You missed one very important word in my post. I said Dante doesn't leave hostile (as in actively trying to hurt someone) demons alive. If a demon shows compassion Dante lets it live but compassionate demons are rare and Dante has never made any effort to convince demons to show compassion. If they can't figure out how to be good on their own Dante isn't going to try to teach it to them. Dante is a Devil Hunter. He protects humans from demons by putting a bullet in the head of any demon that tries to harm humans. What happens to demons that aren't hurting humans is not his concern and he has never shown any interest in demonic affairs that do not relate to his job. No matter how much you want to see it negotiation would be completely out of charicter for him and that does not make him a "mindless killing machine". It makes him someone with goals and motivations other than generic lawful good hero behavior. Have you forgotten why Dante is doing this. His reason for fighting is that demons slaughtered his mother, brainwashed his brother and completely ruined his life. He is not, has never been and never will be out to help demons. The only way for a demon to not be his enemy is if it chooses to side with humans, if the rest of them kill each other that just means Dante has less work to do. And when has there been an innocent demon in Devil May Cry. All of the good demons that have been shown were acting against humans and then decided to switch sides (except for Lucia who was raised as a human and didn't even know what she was.) Compassionate demons exist but it is clearly not normal behavoir for them. Evil is their default state anything else is an anomaly.

KtWtWiS43

I guess this is the statement where we differ "Evil is their default state anything else is an anomaly." In order for Dante to grow as a character, he should be able to see the good inherent in both races. Mundus is defeated and Vergil is dead. Arguably, his vendetta is over, and he only serves to protect the innocent. Why should this be limited to humans?

Since he lives in the Human World, Dante wouldn't be aware of whats going on in the Underworld, or be able to see past his vendetta, until he gets trapped after DMC2. I'm sure that under Mundus's reign, many demons were oppressed under his dictatorship. It'd be too simplistic to believe that all of the demons shared Mundus's largely self serving quest for power. In the real world things aren't so black and white, and I just think it'd be an interesting progression for the series to see Dante's fight to protect the innocent include demons as well: embracing both parts of his heritage. Justice shouldn't ever be limited to race. Dante knows that, considering he's both.

He is part demon after all. And part Human, giving him the gift of compassion. Turning his back on a part of his own heritage, Sparda's noble half, would be pretty petty for a hero like Dante. Characterizing all demons as bad is uninteresting to me, and less intellectually challenging. Race doesn't dictate innocence. Spirit however does, therefore it's too narrowminded to view demons as "the bad guys" and humans as "the good guys." Sparda and Arkham, respectively, both disprove this label.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
I guess this is the statement where we differ "Evil is their default state anything else is an anomaly." In order for Dante to grow as a character, he should be able to see the good inherent in both races. Mundus is defeated and Vergil is dead. Arguably, his vendetta is over, and he only serves to protect the innocent. Why should this be limited to humans?

Since he lives in the Human World, Dante wouldn't be aware of whats going on in the Underworld, or be able to see past his vendetta, until he gets trapped after DMC2. I'm sure that under Mundus's reign, many demons were oppressed under his dictatorship. It'd be too simplistic to believe that all of the demons shared Mundus's largely self serving quest for power. In the real world things aren't so black and white, and I just think it'd be an interesting progression for the series to see Dante's fight to protect the innocent include demons as well: embracing both parts of his heritage. Justice shouldn't ever be limited to race. Dante knows that, considering he's both.

He is part demon after all. And part Human, giving him the gift of compassion. Turning his back on a part of his own heritage, Sparda's noble half, would be pretty petty for a hero like Dante. Characterizing all demons as bad is uninteresting to me, and less intellectually challenging. Race doesn't dictate innocence. Spirit however does, therefore it's too narrowminded to view demons as "the bad guys" and humans as "the good guys." Sparda and Arkham, respectively, both disprove this label.

Everything that has been shown in devil may cry supports the idea that what humans consider to be evil is the normal behavior for demons. You might not find it interesting but that doesn't change what has been shown. There are good demons and evil humans but it has been made very clear that those are the exception not the rule. Devil May Cry is not the real world, but you're right about one thing it is not black and white, it's grey and black (the heros' motives and history aren't entirely pure). It is definitely not the white and grey world you seem to want it to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom