• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Are You Thinking?

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
CT, now that we've got a proper recycling center for plastics, I am absolutely horrified about the fact that our "Mixed Waste" bin is no longer the one to be emptied most often... Our plastic waste instead is now full for the SECOND time this week o_O

Well, of course it's even more the reason to think having a separate plastic waste bin is great, but I didn't realize there is THIS much plastic waste in a household of two. :(
First things first,
*bonks you twice*
Second thing,

This is exactly why, of the Three Rs, Recycle is the last one. It's in order of importance: Reduce, Reuse, then Recycle. Not limiting plastic waste is exactly why there are studies out about finding microplastics inside people's feces. See also: that Honest Recycling Ads video.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
First things first,
*bonks you twice*
Second thing,

This is exactly why, of the Three Rs, Recycle is the last one. It's in order of importance: Reduce, Reuse, then Recycle. Not limiting plastic waste is exactly why there are studies out about finding microplastics inside people's feces. See also: that Honest Recycling Ads video.
Thanks, that definitely woke me up :ROFL: it's around 6:30 am here.

About the latter, we try to reduce that: we keep an eye on cardboard options in packaging, prefer not to buy single-use plastics when a reusable option is available (and financially reasonable... not all times it is though), and now that the baby is coming we prefer wooden toys. As for reusing, the few plastic items in our home are mostly second hand - we don't buy brand new plastic unless it's absolutely necessary, and we always check if there is a wooden or fabric option.

The real problem is food items. We buy our veggies without packing them in separate plastic weighing bags (In Finland, veggies and fruits are sold by weight, not amount, and they are weighed by the customer), but that's pretty much all you can do about it. Rye bread? Packed in a plastic bag. Cucumber? Has a plastic wrap already. Tofu? In plastic. Macaroni? Plastic bags. Cheese? Plastic. If you want to buy less than 1 liter of yogurt, it's in a plastic cup - luckily we both like yogurt so we just buy those 1 liter carton packs.

Yesterday I cooked pasta sauce with corn and vegetarian sausage, including side salad. Thinking quickly about the plastic waste, the ingredients in that only included:
- a plastic bag of corn (can be substituted with canned corn however, which is metal. Has more salt though)
- a plastic bag of pasta (some pasta brand is sold in cardboard box, but it is much more expensive and definitely not an everyday option for students)
- rape seed oil (plastic bottle: glass bottles are for luxury olive oil brands here)
- the plastic wrap on vegetarian sausage (no options)
- lettuce is wrapped in a plastic "cone" with a plastic cover for the roots (commercial option is a plastic bag of shred lettuce, makes no difference)

Where we could make a better choice, was basically not packing our tomatoes in the separate plastic weighing bag which I mentioned earlier. Usually people take the bag, and my husband also refused not to have one some time ago because he considered that unhygienic, but he changed his mind when we discussed about the fact that all those veggies and fruits are still all open for any customer to touch before buying and that this is the exact reason why they are rinsed or cooked before eating.
Also, he saw a problem in where to put the sticker that you get from weighing your veggies* if not in the bag... then I told him you can stick it in any other product or on your finger, it doesn't make a difference.
(* When you weigh your veggies, you get a price tag sticker. The cashier reads the barcode on the tag just like any other product. They don't have scales on the checkout. I don't know how rare or common this is but at least in Germany the whole "weigh yourself and the cashier just reads the barcode on the pricetag" thing doesn't exist)

The real disagreement in plastics between us are diapers. I'd like to use washable ones instead of those single use plastic bombs, but he doesn't agree at all. Single-use it is, then, but I am definitely using my submission on that as a bargaining chip when we discuss stuff like whether you need to have that plastic weighing bag around bananas or not... ;)

Last edited:

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I may or may not judge a company based on their hold music. If I did, this company would get an F.
There's an urban legend of a company here who used at least the chorus, if not a longer part, of a song called Älä soita tänne enää koskaan (Don't ever call us again) by Ultra Bra as their hold music.

Freely translated, an excerpt of the song and the chorus:

We are crying in the bay window, irritated
Because you are devoid of sense
We are drinking coffee from thick-bottomed
5 buck cups
Maria shows us some videos

Six eight six
four three seven one
You are an unbearable guy
and your opinions are all wrong
Don't ever call us again

Itketään erkkerissä harmittaa
koska sinä olet vailla järjen hiventä
Juodaan kahvia paksupohjaisista
viiden markan kupeista
Maria näyttää meille videoita

Kuusi kahdeksan kuusi
neljä kolme seitsemän yksi
Olet sietämätön tyyppi
ja mielipiteesi ovat vääriä
Älä soita tänne enää koskaan

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
I may or may not judge a company based on their hold music. If I did, this company would get an F.
There's an urban legend of a company here who used at least the chorus, if not a longer part, of a song called Älä soita tänne enää koskaan (Don't ever call us again) by Ultra Bra as their hold music.

You two are why I've been getting this video in my recommended!

Me before watching: WTF is "hold music"? Like temp tracks in movies?
Me after this conversation: Ohhhhh, the music when you're on hold on the phone! Duh!

Anyway if I were to put anyone on hold, I'll play this

just to know the tune is scratching at the backs of people's minds and/or making them cry. I might even be so bold as to play the original song it's sampled from!

And now I have to play this video because it's funny af.

And Opus Number One is still top tier.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
My body cannot contain the amount of nostalgia and hype overflowing after having just watched the trailer for the Shenmue anime.

So much warm feelings for seeing those scenes come to life. :giggle:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
My body cannot contain the amount of nostalgia and hype overflowing after having just watched the trailer for the Shenmue anime.
It's 13 episodes : watch the plot go absolutely nowhere for 10 of them and then leave on a cliffhanger for seasons 2 and 3. :ROFL:

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Been thinking of skipping Christmas this year, and now I'm wondering where to go and what to do to keep myself busy and preferably not even noticing that I'm skipping it... :unsure:

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
What to do? Writing.
Where to go? Someplace that helps you write.
That's what I've been thinking of but I'd love to make it special in some other way. If this becomes a habit for me, I've been thinking about running a half-marathon on some Christmas Eve :LOL: (Running a half-marathon was my goal for summer 2022 but pregnancy interrupted my training program there. Maybe December 2022? ;) )

I just want to keep myself really off from even thinking about it as "Christmas Eve". It's the most mentally challenging day of the year for me, and regardless of how I spend that day, it might be triggering to remember some stuff then.

Also it might be difficult to explain my in-laws... They most likely point out that it is important to celebrate Christmas for religious reasons. Which I disagree, because according to the relevant Bible verses it's highly improbable that Jesus was born in December in the first place. It seems to be pretty straight-forward to me (and the majority of Christian scholars as well), but so I thought it would be to explain to them why our child will not be baptized and why the Bible doesn't provide any reason to do so...

Yeah. Seems a triggering idea to skip it. But it's a triggering day anyway so I've got nothing to lose.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm surprisingly wary of Daredevil reentering the MCU. Netflix DD meant alot to me and I liked that it wasn't too tied to the movies. I guess I just gotta see what happens.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I noticed Saki's English dub voice actor, does a weird combination of Nero's and Vergil's, "I need more power!". Whenever she transforms into her Berserk or Xtatic form in Oneechabara Origin. Homage or plagiarism? I'm going to go with homage.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
So Crysis trilogy remastered is actually a thing. I... can't think of any "old" series that would need a remaster less than that one.

I can understand the first game, sure. But Crysis 2 and 3? Nearly a decade later they could totally pass off as modern games. Like, whatever bro. What can you even substantially improve that can be noticeable over the base games? I guess RTX and DLSS since it's the new, unnecessarily taxing fad.

Actually I'm being unjust here. Ray tracing might be a useless diminishing return of a feature but DLSS is actually a useful technology. Too bad you don't need it to run those games on modern hardware.

Top Bottom