• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you reading?

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Just finished reading Fallen by Lauren Kate.

I'm so confused right now.
So much that I'm not even going to bother reading the rest of the series again.
There's a way to do a cliffhanger.
And then there's a way to totally confuckulate the reader.
She aces at the latter.
So who are the good guys and who are the bad? Why does Daniel refuse to MAKE SENSE every time Luce asks him a proper question? So he doesn't have to spill his guts to her, but it would be GRRRRREAT if he could make sense. Being weird is NOT being vague.
Wait, so the major difference this time is that Luce was raised agnostic? Really? Why was I led to believe that the difference was that instead of Luce falling for Daniel first, she fell for Trevor, but because Trevor isn't a celestial being, HE'S the one who went up in flames? Because that's what she was hinting at. That's what she implied.
This reads like a first draft. I don't think Miss Kate bothered to revise it. There are so many lose ends waving around and poking me in the eye, it's not even funny. It's not well rounded. It's all over the place.
It would have been better if she'd had a better agent. A better proofreader. I think I headdesked at least a couple of times at the stupid little errors that were so brilliantly clear. That's a couple of times too many.
I'm putting down her publisher and agent's details on my 'To Be Avoided' list.
Also, wtf Daniel. If you think she's going to burst into ash, WHY would you do that?
Daniel is a bloody idiot.
And that fight scene sucked. I'm sorry but it sucked. That would have made sense if they were in a scene where it's evident martial arts will come into play. But to just kinda drop them into 'then SUDDENLY they were martial art black belt supreme fighters', out of nowhere? And why was Gabbe the one to beat up Cam? Why not Daniel himself? Gabbe... the whole time she was this sweet southern flower. It would've made more sense if Arriane had been the one to beat the dung out of him, because she's badass and has that edge to her. But not Gabbe. Why Gabbe? WHY IS EVERYTHING UPSIDE DOWN AND INSIDE OUT? Why am I FUSSING over this when I'M NOT THE ONE WHO WROTE THE BOOK?
I can't.
I just.... I can't.
And Daniel reminds me very much of Sparkle Boy Eddie. I don't like it.
And why does he just suddenly out of nowhere give in and stop acting like a complete asshat to her? The whole time she's pursuing him and he gives her the cold shoulder again and again, with no sign that he's warming up to her or that her endeavours are having any affect. But then SUDDENLY. Daniel is like, hey Luce.
Dafuq was this writer on when she wrote this?
In short. I wouldn't recommend it.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Just finished reading Fallen by Lauren Kate.

I'm so confused right now.
So much that I'm not even going to bother reading the rest of the series again.
There's a way to do a cliffhanger.
And then there's a way to totally confuckulate the reader.
She aces at the latter.
So who are the good guys and who are the bad? Why does Daniel refuse to MAKE SENSE every time Luce asks him a proper question? So he doesn't have to spill his guts to her, but it would be GRRRRREAT if he could make sense. Being weird is NOT being vague.
Wait, so the major difference this time is that Luce was raised agnostic? Really? Why was I led to believe that the difference was that instead of Luce falling for Daniel first, she fell for Trevor, but because Trevor isn't a celestial being, HE'S the one who went up in flames? Because that's what she was hinting at. That's what she implied.
This reads like a first draft. I don't think Miss Kate bothered to revise it. There are so many lose ends waving around and poking me in the eye, it's not even funny. It's not well rounded. It's all over the place.
It would have been better if she'd had a better agent. A better proofreader. I think I headdesked at least a couple of times at the stupid little errors that were so brilliantly clear. That's a couple of times too many.
I'm putting down her publisher and agent's details on my 'To Be Avoided' list.
Also, wtf Daniel. If you think she's going to burst into ash, WHY would you do that?
Daniel is a bloody idiot.
And that fight scene sucked. I'm sorry but it sucked. That would have made sense if they were in a scene where it's evident martial arts will come into play. But to just kinda drop them into 'then SUDDENLY they were martial art black belt supreme fighters', out of nowhere? And why was Gabbe the one to beat up Cam? Why not Daniel himself? Gabbe... the whole time she was this sweet southern flower. It would've made more sense if Arriane had been the one to beat the dung out of him, because she's badass and has that edge to her. But not Gabbe. Why Gabbe? WHY IS EVERYTHING UPSIDE DOWN AND INSIDE OUT? Why am I FUSSING over this when I'M NOT THE ONE WHO WROTE THE BOOK?
I can't.
I just.... I can't.
And Daniel reminds me very much of Sparkle Boy Eddie. I don't like it.
And why does he just suddenly out of nowhere give in and stop acting like a complete asshat to her? The whole time she's pursuing him and he gives her the cold shoulder again and again, with no sign that he's warming up to her or that her endeavours are having any affect. But then SUDDENLY. Daniel is like, hey Luce.
Dafuq was this writer on when she wrote this?
In short. I wouldn't recommend it.

Why do I suddenly feel so much better? Like I actually have a shot at this "getting published" thing? Oh, yeah; because stories like you just described somehow made it out there, in spite of their glaring errors.

...No, bad Rebel! You're not supposed to feel better because of someone else's misfortunes. >.<

Currently reading: Whispers of Nowhere; because revisions aren't a thing until I know where I've effed up beforehand. :wink: (Hint: There's a lot of work to do).

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Lisey's_Story_(book_cover).jpg

Another not so good story from SK. Sadly I noticed that the more character-centered story is, the more his writing suffers for it. He repeats lot of ideas or thoughts over and over again and pacing suffers greatly for it.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Finished White Night.
All I can say is there was an epic entrance and one hell of a fight. I like the way this guy writes fight scenes.
Oh. There was also a lot of **** getting blown up throughout. You know. Boys gotta do that.

Now reading Ghost Story by Jim Butcher.
(huuuuuu, I can't believe Harry is dead :'(, and I'm reading this series completely out of order. Wait, he had a kid? Wait, he did what? Wait, he DIED?) I like freaky stuff in it so far.]
And the feels. :':)'(

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Just finished The Master Magician. I kind of have mixed feelings on this one, since I so thoroughly enjoyed the first two books. The writing is still well done, but I felt the main character's development fell short this time around, considering everything she'd gone through (and done) in the first two books. Kind of like after all of that, she should have learned her lesson.

But on the other hand, when has character development exclusively meant, "changed for the better"? It could be that the author wanted to show that, for many people, it takes a lot more for them to finally figure out what they should have done, instead of what they wound up doing.

Either way, still a good read--and as far as debut series' go, better than some more seasoned writers (not to mention other debuts that flopped...naming them would be redundant, lol).

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
The very end is predictable. I mean, you kind of already guess how it's going to end when a book starts off with the protagonist being dead. BUT you know what they say, it's about the journey, not the destination.
It was good.
With good, I mean all his books are equally thick but with each you read the quicker you get through them, and you're left wondering why the story isn't any longer.

Also.
The book previous to White Night was the 'last'. It ends with Harry getting sniped off a boat and falling in the river to drown. Or bleed out. Or both. It was the last book that Jim was contracted for by his publisher.
Editor:I can't believe you killed Harry! D:
Jim: I know, now we get to all the FUN stuff!
Editor: Wait... what do you mean NOW we get to all the fun stuff?
Well played, Jim, well played.

Currently reading Cold Days by Jim Butcher.

Top Bottom