• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Were the reviews really paid or people aren't buying it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onecrazymonkey1

That's true lol. I don't even go up to peoples dogs unless I ask them if they're friendly. My aunts Rottweiler used to scare the **** out of me until I got to know it better. Now he is just a cuddle bug with me but it did take a while.

Onecrazymonkey1

My friend has a dog too... It took me something like five years to become accustomed to her presence... :ermm:

I'm sorry! This little guy will take your fears away!
Cute_Animal_Babies_1131_nicefun.jpg

There needs to be a thread of just baby animal pics for us to squee at.

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
I'm sorry! This little guy will take your fears away!
Cute_Animal_Babies_1131_nicefun.jpg

There needs to be a thread of just baby animal pics for us to squee at.
:w00t: AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
That's just soooooo cute!!!!

..And yes, we would need a thread for this... But it seems we already have one, even if a derailed one...:p

IncarnatedDemon

Reviews aren't paid off and that's a fact?
*Shakes head*

CAPCOM has teamed up with The Sun for the launch of their forthcoming hack and slash beat ‘em up DmC Devil May Cry™, out 15th January 2013.

One lucky winner and a +1 will travel to Portugal to see bass music masters and creators of the DmC soundtrack, Noisia, perform live on 22nd December.
We’ll cover flights and accommodation and you’ll receive an Xbox 360, copy of the game plus exclusive Noisia merchandise including a digital copy of the DmC soundtrack, album Split the Atom Special Edition and more.
DmC Devil May Cry™ features original protagonist Dante in his early years.

With the familiar and stylish action, fluid combat and self-assured characters that have defined the iconic series, DmC Devil May Cry™ injects a more brutal and visceral edge, reflected in the soundtrack by Noisia.
Mundus, a track produced by Noisia for the game, is available as a free download from the DmC Facebook page.
To win, simply tweet @SunGamesColumn with a picture of the gaming page today (Friday), with your Twitter handle written onto it.
Enter by midnight on Sunday 9th December, winner will be notified by midday Monday 10th.
^
And here is their review of the game:
DmC: Devil May Cry - Xbox 360/PS3 (Xbox 360 version tested) £38.99

In DMC, you play Dante, the son of Sparda, who finds himself hunted by the god Mundus.
Dante is trapped in Limbo; a plain of existence sandwiched between the real world and hell, and it’s down to our black-haired, sparkly eyed protagonist to rescue the human race from the brink of extinction.
But to do that, he'll need to face down hordes of demons and freakish abominations.
Combat is crucial to DmC, so you’ll be relieved to hear Ninja Theory have it spot-on. With depth and substance invested, both remaining faithful to the series while adding new, potential favourites, DmC is lively, vicious and outrageous.
Dante can call upon the powers of his parents, using both Angel and Demonic weapons. From swinging scythes, to furious fists, each power can be developed, upgraded and empowered with stronger attacks and better fighting combinations as Dante earns orbs from his battles.
Even the guns get some variety, with a new needler weapon that fires sticky projectiles to enemies, then obliterates them.
Of course, it also wouldn’t be Devil May Cry without a few punishing boss battles and DmC understands the importance of both build-up and delivery.
It’s always very clear who Dante is scheduled to face, and after hacking through hordes of henchmen the delivery ends up both intimidating and exciting in equal measure.
DmC is as good, if not better than any Devil May Cry title before it. With a hard-hitting story, creative, engaging combat, and overwhelming energy, DmC is kicking off 2013 in rip-roaring, high-octane fashion.
9 out of 10.

Not a shred of critism towards the game.

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Reviews aren't paid off and that's a fact?
*Shakes head*

^
And here is their review of the game:

Not a shred of critism towards the game.
This review is overly positive, and shows no criticism. You are right in saying that is somehow biased.
But the fact that a review is biased does not IMMEDIATELY imply that it has been paid, even if this could be a reasonable explanation between other possible explanations.
Maybe the reviewer was paid, or maybe he was just biased because he liked the game too much, or maybe there is another reason. We cannot know unless we DIRECTLY SEE evidence of an exchange of money. This is not direct evidence, because it could be explained in another way.

That said, I agree with you that one cannot just simply DENY that there is a POSSIBILITY of reviews being paid.

but possibilities are not facts, and this means that MAYBE some reviews were paid, or MAYBE NOT. We do not know FOR SURE, even if there may be a STRONG POSSIBILITY that reviews were paid.

There's a slight difference between a strong possibility and a proved fact.
To make a stupid example, if a friend never answers my calls for a week, there is a strong possibility she is angry with me. But I don't know for sure that it's a fact unless she tells so herself. Maybe she was in a place in which she couldn't answer her phone for a week (I had been to scout camps, and couldn't bring a phone with me, for example).
In philosphy they say that an event "undedetermines" its cause, in the sense that if we just see an event, we cannot be sure of its cause unless we see it, because, logically speaking, there could have been another more improbable cause we are not thinking of at the moment.

So, about the reviews, this is a case of underdetermination: we cannot be sure, just seeing the effect (the pverly positive review) that its real cause was exactly them being paid.

IncarnatedDemon

This review is overly positive, and shows no criticism. You are right in saying that is somehow biased.
But the fact that a review is biased does not IMMEDIATELY imply that it has been paid, even if this could be a reasonable explanation between other possible explanations.
Maybe the reviewer was paid, or maybe...
That's true.

But just want to say that there are two type of payments:

1) In which the party paying indicates clearly they want a soft review without eplixicelty saying it. Like something along lines of "We hope to work with you guys at Ign again".
A hidden message in other words. The benefit for the game site can be major advertisements, like EA paying IGN alot of money to advertise EAs game on their site.

The other one is a party giving presents to reviewers. Such as "Here's a free copy of the game for you".
And they dont say anything more.
They just let the present influence the person, to get them in a state of mind where they are positive.

This is not fact but I THINK TheSun reviewer may have been give presents from Capcom. And this doesn't seem a low possibility scenario (Capcom giving present) because as i showed TheSun teamed up with Capcom to promote DmC.
So i can imagine TheSun receiving merchandise for the audience (competitions), and couple of DmC copies for the reviewer or the company.

Bias can happen as result of influence such as presents.

IncarnatedDemon

Yeah, unless we see something like this...

doritos.png

...there's no way to know for certain.
Times like that is probably when those involved mess up on consealing that there is "influence" involved. Imagine what´s happening behind closed doors.

If IGN does alot of ads for a certain game, i pretty much expect that their review will be soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom