• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Was 2 dodge buttons really necessary?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Two shoot buttons, and one did nothing unless coupled with R1 :p Oh well, that's what sequels do - fancy up and tweak controls. However, in DmC it made ergonomic sense, given the rest of the controls. They just wanted to make the controls and functions as simple as possible for new players.

It's funny, because it reminds me of a discussion I had recently with a friend about how buttons and functions have come a long way, especially in RPGs. I remember Dragon Warrior for the NES where A opened a menu with all the functions for Talking, Opening doors, Using stairs, etc. It was a silly lack of contextualization that we ended up with later in pretty much every other game.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Well, there was a little difference in the two dodges. The demon dodge went in to cool stylish slo mo and gave a power boost to the demonic weapons while the angelic dodge did the opposite power up and even provided a quick teleport.

SSSSwagmasterMLGDmCplaya

I find it funny that people are complaining about this, seeing as there were two "shoot" buttons in DMC1.
The reasoning for that is quite simple. DMC1 was the first game out of the series, before anyone thought of deep gameplay mechanics like DMC3, or even God Of War. No one held DMC1 to the standard of DMC4, DMC3, or DMC2 because gameplay like that never existed.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Never said it did. I merely explained to you why people complain about DmC's two dodge buttons but dont complain about DMC1's two "shoot" buttons. I haven't played DMC1 in ages, but I'm certain there weren't 2 shoot buttons in DMC1 to top it off.

Nope, there was, both X and Square could be used to shoot, and Square didn't do anything else unless paired with holding R1. Quite redundant.

Well, you could also shoot without R1 if you were in the air, but that's beside the point.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Nope, there was, both X and Square could be used to shoot, and Square didn't do anything else unless paired with holding R1. Quite redundant.

Well, you could also shoot without R1 if you were in the air, but that's beside the point.
What's worse is that the extra button could be used for a Trickster-style dash, or something. DMC1 in particular was the entry that juggled an emphasis on attacking, dodging, and shooting. And since the dodging sometimes could be unreliable to the point of frustration---being mapped to X, and having its direction be awkwardly determined by where the camera is facing---that would've been extremely useful.

SSSSwagmasterMLGDmCplaya

Nope, there was, both X and Square could be used to shoot, and Square didn't do anything else unless paired with holding R1
Yeah I just remembered.

What's worse is that the extra button could be used for a Trickster-style dash, or something. DMC1 in particular was the entry that juggled an emphasis on attacking, dodging, and shooting. And since the dodging sometimes could be unreliable to the point of frustration---being mapped to X, and having its direction be awkwardly determined by where the camera is facing---that would've been extremely useful.
That's the thing, its the first game of the series, one of the first in the genre, so its understandable that DMC1 didnt get a lot of gameplay aspects right. But I agree. In fact, I believe DMC1 would've done well without a lock on button (aim) seeing how there's a lack of ranged battles and abilities, and there's no display to see who you're targeting. It would've done well with its own launch button like DmC and a separate button for moves like Stinger.

Top Bottom