• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Visual Novels (and related games)

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Based upon my discussion in the Hellblade thread, I decided to create a thread based upon Visual Novels and related games. What is a Visual Novel you ask? Well this article gives a good background on what they are and their history.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/7/8355267/making-your-own-visual-novel-is-becoming-easier

So, who here has read a VN? What did you think? If you liked it I can recommend similar titles that might pique your interest.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
been reading thru it, it's tempting, all you need is know how to use the software, drawing skills and good story telling.. this is actually a good genre for people who likes reading, drawing and writing and wanting to make some kind of a game..

anyway, are most VN games japanese?

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
It originated from Japan, but slowly more Western VNs are being created.

If you want to know what a VN looks like in action, here's a translated demo of a recent VN.

Have you seen any VN styled games?

absolitude

nope, never seen one honestly, but i read in the article TWD is somewhat a VN, so at least i got the teenee wee bit of picture.. really gonna check the vid later the current pc i'm using is very outdated, haven't update the flash, lol..

the japanese VNs are so colorful, be cool if there's a dark, gloomy story with dark visuals, the possibility is huge with this genre, and considering it's doable for amateurs --i'm always a fan of dark gloomy crap, don't mind me..

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Hoho, if you want dark you'll get it. Immediately I can think of "Song of Saya". It's about a young man who through brain damage sees other people as if they were Cthulhu monsters. Then he actually meets a real Cthulhu monster who he hallucinates as a beautiful girl and starts living with her.

Needless to say, it doesn't have a happy ending.

absolitude

gyahaha.. nice nice, what's the platform for song of saya?

so i just searched youtube for random VN games, man, i'm liking it, this genre would be a whole new experience for me, just gonna have to find the one suits my taste..

gotta say this genre really depends on the creative work

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Saya is a PC VN, but be warned, there is rape, gore and cannabilism involved. You need a strong stomach to play it.

Captain Xin

Steins;Gate on Xbox 360, PSVita, PC. Hell, they even got a port for both Android and iPhone.
Oh, and don't forget Ever17 for PC, if there ever be somebody spoiled the ending about these games for you, please kindly punch him in the face.

I'm serious, PUNCH THAT "FRIEND" you've got IN THE FACE.

Or just send this to him as a gift via steam for some sweet retaliation. :cool:

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Ah yes, Steins;Gate. Are you hyped for the sequel coming out, Steins;Gate 0?

And while I haven't played Ever17, I've played the author's other work Zero Escape which apparently reuses a lot of plot points from Ever17.

Captain Xin

Ah yes, Steins;Gate. Are you hyped for the sequel coming out, Steins;Gate 0?

And while I haven't played Ever17, I've played the author's other work Zero Escape which apparently reuses a lot of plot points from Ever17.

I'm seriously considering getting a PSV for this one, that should give you a clue.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I already posted this LOL. :D

So have you played one?
oh crap sorry :p Yes I played some VN. Like 999 on NDS, than its sequel Virtue's Last Reward. I absolutely love Danganronpa franchise. There was also very good game called Animamundi, that despite its yaoi and gore sub tones, was pretty decently written.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
The Fruit of Grisaia, it is expensive($39.99 USD), it is long(about the 11th longest visual novel according to VNDB). But it might be one of the best VN you can find on steam. Recommended.
Ah yes, I remember watching a friend play through that. I too would recommend it.

What's everybody's preferred genre of VN? Mine would probably be mystery, followed by fantasy. I'm not really a romance kind of guy, even for harems.

Captain Xin

Romance can be awesome if the developer knew what they're doing. Believe it or not, through some brilliant writing, even some H-games could have a great story. (Ever heard of a little game/Anime called Air?)

I'm more of a music-type of guy, if the music sounds great, 60% of the time I'll like it.

As for genre... Sci-fi, Horror, maybe a little bit of Fantasy?

I always thought "Character" is the definitive point for any VN. If a characters felt flat, doesn't matter how beautiful those CG can be, you won't care about them, and that could literally kill a Visual Novel.

Last edited:

absolitude

aren't any of you guys interested in making one? considering it's very do-able, i mean we have writers, visual artists, maybe programmer and maybe members who understands their way around flash/shockwave here in the forum..

can you see it? : "devilmaycry.org presents"

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
It's funny you should mention that.

That's basically how "Katawa Shoujo" was created, a bunch of 4-Chan users came together to create their own VN.

Top Bottom