• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil - Portrait of a Warrior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Except as Two pointed out, Vergil literally does fit the definition of honorable. Dismissing that by saying "Ha, you have to look up what honor means to apply it to Vergil!" is nonsensical when it actually works.
Vergil just has his own convictions. Having personal firmly held beliefs doesn't mean he's honorable.

Get your head out of Vergil's butt. You're an uber fan of just a sociopath. Nothing wrong with that as I can dig those kind of villains too, but at least I'm not trying to kid myself. Sociopath is Vergil to a T.

Veloran

Vergil just has his own convictions. Having personal firmly held beliefs doesn't mean he's honorable.
That is literally exactly what being honorable means. Having conviction and integrity in your beliefs and actions.

Say what you will about him, but Vergil is very, very motivated to stick to his (Metaphorical) guns no matter what. Being honorable isn't strictly about being good or just, it's about conducting yourself in a certain way. Carrying yourself with distinction and dignity, being illustrious. Vergil's entire persona speaks to that image.

Even ignoring all of the above, Vergil (And Dante for that matter) would be honorable by virtue of coming from a distinguished bloodline. Their dad was basically Jesus Christ or King Arthur of that universe.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I had a whole, much larger post to reply before leaving, but this really sort of encapsulates the entire thing (which in and of itself is large).

That is literally exactly what being honorable means. Having conviction and integrity in your beliefs and actions.

Say what you will about him, but Vergil is very, very motivated to stick to his (Metaphorical) guns no matter what. Being honorable isn't strictly about being good or just, it's about conducting yourself in a certain way. Carrying yourself with distinction and dignity, being illustrious. Vergil's entire persona speaks to that image.

No, not at all. Honor very much is, wholeheartedly, about being good or just. Your conduct certainly plays a role, but it's your intentions toward and how they effect society that ultimately determine if you're actually honorable or not.

Honor doe snot simply mean having convictions and integrity in ones own beliefs. The entire concept of honor is built upon society's view of a person, and how you fit into it. Having the convictions to end world hunger is honorable because of what it does for society, it is honorable and to be venerated. Having the convictions to gain unlimited power at the cost of everyone else around you is not honorable, it is sociopathic and no one would rightly respect such ideals. You can certainly respect his conviction alone, because conviction in and of itself is commendable, but it's the actions fueled by that conviction that ultimately matter.

It is completely abhorrent that I'm gonna go here, considering the implications of doing such a thing, but goddamn, Hitler had convictions, and he used it to murder millions of people. ISIS militants have convictions, and they use it to murder people of different faiths. Bill Gates has convictions, and he uses it to eradicate illnesses in third-world countries. I have convictions, and I use them to create a better life for myself and the people I love. Vergil has convictions, and he uses them to achieve power, at the cost of everyone else on the planet - including his own brother. Hell, it even dishonors his father's legacy by undoing everything Sparda did to protect humanity. Vergil's actions are not to be respected, although his convictions can be.

I seriously need you to acknowledge the concept of honor and how it was used, and Hell, still is used, in some cultures. That is by default the definition of honor and face, of respect for people and how they in turn respect you. People die and kill for honor, because it was the thing that mattered most in society - how other people regarded you. Vegil does not at all fit that description, nor any of the definitions you said he does, given that those definitions rely on the adherence to the concepts of honor and respect as something good. Someone is distinguished when their merits or rank make them someone to be respected. Someone is honorable when they demand (overtly or though position) respect.

None of this matters in most cultures these days because it's entirely predicated on the concern of how other people see each other, and c'mon, rightly who gives a crap what other people think? Screw 'em. China and Japan still struggle with getting past these archaic concepts, and places in the Middle-East still adhere to concepts like it because "Oh no, what will people think" if I don't kill my daughter for acting like a girl of the 21st century. When you honor someone's memory, you're respecting them as a person. When you call a judge "Your honor," it's out of respect for their purveyance over the court.

The only point Vergil has ever been honorable or respectful, was actually when he was Nelo Angelo (the bare minimum of who he was), and gave him and Dante a decent place to fight, instead of just suckerpunching him from the mirror. That was a minuscule amount of respect for the fight and Dante, and nowhere else has he ever shown respect for others. That one bit, does not define his character. Much in the same way that telling a bum I don't have spare change does not suddenly make me an untrustworthy, pathological liar; Nelo Angelo offering up a decent place to fight does not make him a complete and utter man of honor, considering everything Vergil has done previously.

Actually, to that point, Dante called Nelo Angelo a man of guts and honor, but this was before he knew it was Vergil. His opinion of the guy probably would have changed if he had known from the beginning.

If Vergil truly wants power to make up for how powerless he was in protecting his mother, that's not exactly honorable either. It's not gonna bring her back, and he's doing it ultimately for himself. If by some rationalization that leads him to want that power to ultimately bring ruination on all of demonkind in revenge, that's super cool and a really great motivation for the character, but his ways of doing so aren't honorable, because others are put at risk, and ultimately it's still for himself. If it was a "for the greater good" sorta thing, then it'd be debatable, but we just don't know. Maybe DMC4se will give us just a liiiiittle bit more info.

Even ignoring all of the above, Vergil (And Dante for that matter) would be honorable by virtue of coming from a distinguished bloodline. Their dad was basically Jesus Christ or King Arthur of that universe.

They most certainlny do come from a distinguished bloodline, but it is no longer distinguished by demons because Sparda betrayed them. It's a tainted line of douchebags as far as they're concerned. The Order of the Sword regards them highly, definitely, and Dante is certainly a distinguished member of the bloodline, having taken up protecting humanity like Sparda did (sort of, he was in it for revenge originally), but Vergil? Vergil is a black sheep who dishonors his bloodline. In cultures that would care about such things, he would be dragging their name through the muck. The Order of the Sword would have hated Vergil for his part in putting humanity in danger when he was alive, in direct contradiction to what their lord and savior Sparda had done.

And no, we can't simply accept it as fact if he himself might believe he's honorable. Fictional villains can and will believe anything of themselves, in spite of the falseness of it. Hell, that's often a part of what gives them better characterization and makes them more sympathetic. However, that does not make what they think true.

Love him for his intense conviction in what he wants, but recognize, for the love of God, recognize how damaged of a person he is. Vergil is a sociopath through and through, and he actively disrespects not only the lives of others by putting them in danger and using them, but also their memories, like undoing everything his father had done.

However, this does not make him a bad character. He's not really a bad character at all, he just needs a lot more work, than what he got in DMC3 :/

~​

And with that, I'm done. Sorry LordofDarkness, just...I don't know when to quit I guess. Except now. Maybe...

Veloran

Honor very much is, wholeheartedly, about being good or just.
No, it isn't. You yourself linked the very page proving that exact sentence completely wrong. According to what the words "honor" and "honorable" actually mean, Vergil more than qualifies, regardless of morality. I am baffled that you would keep this up after providing hard evidence that directly contradicts your point.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
You have no idea what you're talking about. According to your logic here, I guess Hitler is also a pretty honorable guy.
Well, he also was a butt-hurt person who attempted to exterminate an entire group of people he deemed "inferior"...despite having the same inferior blood in his own veins...

So, yeah...that comparison's pretty apt.

Veloran

Well, he also was a butt-hurt person who attempted to exterminate an entire group of people he deemed "inferior"...despite having the same inferior blood in his own veins...

So, yeah...that comparison's pretty apt.
Half this thread detailed how that wasn't what Vergil was out to do.

Unless you were talking about Demons, in which case maybe.

Veloran

Just learn when to quit Veloran lol.

My sides are about to go in to orbit.
Don't really see why. It's maybe a bit unfortunate that we've had such an argument over a simple misunderstanding of terms, but it's nothing to get worked up about.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
You should already know by now that the fans will always feel the inexplicable need to...

... defend his honor. :cool:
There is no need to defend something that exist. Just trying to explain some people that are living in denial, couple of solid facts.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
It's not really pretension if you're right.
Except he's not. And neither are you. Of course you can't get that through your thick skull. I even destroyed your faulty logic and you had nothing to say earlier.

Straight up, you're both making yourselves look like idiots.

We have common sense. We know what words mean. Your interpretation of a character does not overwrite fact. And I've about had it with you guys telling us that we don't know what we're talking about where we actually do.

Veloran

Except he's not. And neither are you. Of course you can't get that through your thick skull. I even destroyed your faulty logic and you had nothing to say earlier.

You may want to direct your complaints to, say, anyone that writes a dictionary, not us.

Really, they're the ones you should be arguing against.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
No, not at all. Honor very much is, wholeheartedly, about being good or just. Your conduct certainly plays a role, but it's your intentions toward and how they effect society that ultimately determine if you're actually honorable or not.
It depends upon personal view what just it.
Honor doe snot simply mean having convictions and integrity in ones own beliefs.
Except it does according to the very same dictionary you shown.
The entire concept of honor is built upon society's view of a person, and how you fit into it. Having the convictions to end world hunger is honorable because of what it does for society, it is honorable and to be venerated. Having the convictions to gain unlimited power at the cost of everyone else around you is not honorable, it is sociopathic and no one would rightly respect such ideals. You can certainly respect his conviction alone, because conviction in and of itself is commendable, but it's the actions fueled by that conviction that ultimately matter.
Nope it doesn't. Honor has nothing to do with being respected or giving respect. Best example anime Blade of Immortal, where main character treated as dishonourable by society, despite doing what he personally saw as morally right. Which made him honourable indepenataside from what everyone thought.

It is completely abhorrent that I'm gonna go here, considering the implications of doing such a thing, but goddamn, Hitler had convictions, and he used it to murder millions of people. ISIS militants have convictions, and they use it to murder people of different faiths. Bill Gates has convictions, and he uses it to eradicate illnesses in third-world countries. I have convictions, and I use them to create a better life for myself and the people I love. Vergil has convictions, and he uses them to achieve power, at the cost of everyone else on the planet - including his own brother. Hell, it even dishonors his father's legacy by undoing everything Sparda did to protect humanity. Vergil's actions are not to be respected, although his convictions can be.
Like I said before Vergil left both Dante and Lady alive when he could kill them both. Hitler was clinically insane and brainwashed people.

I seriously need you to acknowledge the concept of honor and how it was used, and Hell, still is used, in some cultures. That is by default the definition of honor and face, of respect for people and how they in turn respect you. People die and kill for honor, because it was the thing that mattered most in society - how other people regarded you. Vegil does not at all fit that description, nor any of the definitions you said he does, given that those definitions rely on the adherence to the concepts of honor and respect as something good. Someone is distinguished when their merits or rank make them someone to be respected. Someone is honorable when they demand (overtly or though position) respect.
You just seriously need to learn how to read what you posted yourself. You basically posted definition and now you dismissed it because it didn't fit in your imagination. Sorry, meaning of words is meaning of words. How you understand meaning of word is your own problem.

None of this matters in most cultures these days because it's entirely predicated on the concern of how other people see each other, and c'mon, rightly who gives a crap what other people think? Screw 'em. China and Japan still struggle with getting past these archaic concepts, and places in the Middle-East still adhere to concepts like it because "Oh no, what will people think" if I don't kill my daughter for acting like a girl of the 21st century. When you honor someone's memory, you're respecting them as a person. When you call a judge "Your honor," it's out of respect for their purveyance over the court.
Following society rules isn't honourable. To return to your own argument, killing natives and mistreating africans, was society norm and considered good in America. Guess those people were honourable right? Since they followed their conviction + were praised for it by others.
The only point Vergil has ever been honorable or respectful, was actually when he was Nelo Angelo (the bare minimum of who he was), and gave him and Dante a decent place to fight, instead of just suckerpunching him from the mirror. That was a minuscule amount of respect for the fight and Dante, and nowhere else has he ever shown respect for others. That one bit, does not define his character. Much in the same way that telling a bum I don't have spare change does not suddenly make me an untrustworthy, pathological liar; Nelo Angelo offering up a decent place to fight does not make him a complete and utter man of honor, considering everything Vergil has done previously.
So you brush of game facts, to establish your own canon? You seriously should know where to stop showing your fan fiction down throat of others.

And no, we can't simply accept it as fact if he himself might believe he's honorable. Fictional villains can and will believe anything of themselves, in spite of the falseness of it. Hell, that's often a part of what gives them better characterization and makes them more sympathetic. However, that does not make what they think true.
There is not implication he considers himself honourable. He just does what he thinks is right. Even if it contradicts moral norms,

Love him for his intense conviction in what he wants, but recognize, for the love of God, recognize how damaged of a person he is. Vergil is a sociopath through and through, and he actively disrespects not only the lives of others by putting them in danger and using them, but also their memories, like undoing everything his father had done.

However, this does not make him a bad character. He's not really a bad character at all, he just needs a lot more work, than what he got in DMC3 :/

You should just learn definition of some words. Because what you wrote about honour is really only your own opinion on word, that contradicts it's meaning.​

Dark Drakan

Admin
^
Starting with you, you pretentious, arrogant half wit.

Comments like this are not acceptable, people can make points without the need to insult each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom