• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

V Paving the Way for Tag Combat?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Do you remember the Arkham fight in DMC3? Specifically, the latter half, where they strip you of the Style you have equipped and replace it with Vergil? Yeah that was a really bad way of implementing a very rudimentary form of tag combat but I think V showed there is potential in having and controlling more than one character on screen at once.

I myself am not the biggest fan of V's gameplay but that has more to do with a few execution annoyances. I think with a bit more polish, the concept can truly flourish in DMC.

Ever since I beat 5, my personal idea of DMC6 involves a proper Dante/Vergil duo gameplay mechanic to go with the story scenario of them being stuck in the Underworld together. Haven't given it an in depth thought yet but I figured something similar to how the DMC3 mechanic worked only with holding and directional inputs given to the B button like V's familiars. If they keep Styles for Dante, it could work like Darkslayer did in 4, double tapping a Style to switch to "tag team" mode and have Vergil enter the battle.
Or maybe it could be a mode you're forced into in specific segments like in DMC3 but I bet that would feel restrictive to a lot of people.

What do you think?

I'm rather intrigued! I believe you're onto something...

I'm, additionally, in hopes there could be an additional 2 players swap setting, i.e., like in the Resident Evil 5 & 6 games. Since the DMC game series are strictly 1 player, it'd be extravagant to add a 2 player choice but only for certain parts, keeping it mainly 1 player for nostalgia sake.

Going back to your post, the fact that you thought of them fighting in hell sounds like a dream needed to be surfaced into reality. That there, alone, is something mention worthy to/for Capcom! Have you considered contacting them & requesting such a brilliant idea?

Thanks for sharing this post!

berto

I Saw the Devil
Personally, my idea for a two character switch mechanic has always been the Viewtiful Joe 2 approach.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Onechanbara Z2: Chaos is still the best action game with tag combos/combat.

You push a button to switch between characters.
The tutorial starts around the 8:00 mark.

I am still upset VJ2 never got co-op like the original E3 trailer implied. Capcom had the bright idea to remove it early on during the development process.

Last edited:

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Do you remember the Arkham fight in DMC3? Specifically, the latter half, where they strip you of the Style you have equipped and replace it with Vergil? Yeah that was a really bad way of implementing a very rudimentary form of tag combat but I think V showed there is potential in having and controlling more than one character on screen at once.

I myself am not the biggest fan of V's gameplay but that has more to do with a few execution annoyances. I think with a bit more polish, the concept can truly flourish in DMC.

Ever since I beat 5, my personal idea of DMC6 involves a proper Dante/Vergil duo gameplay mechanic to go with the story scenario of them being stuck in the Underworld together. Haven't given it an in depth thought yet but I figured something similar to how the DMC3 mechanic worked only with holding and directional inputs given to the B button like V's familiars. If they keep Styles for Dante, it could work like Darkslayer did in 4, double tapping a Style to switch to "tag team" mode and have Vergil enter the battle.
Or maybe it could be a mode you're forced into in specific segments like in DMC3 but I bet that would feel restrictive to a lot of people.

What do you think?
They even teased that in the ending of DMC5, in that bloody palace scene w/ the duo bros.

Top Bottom