• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Unused dialogue

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I could see some of the dialouge in flashbacks within Vergils Downfall, espescially the confrontation between Dante and Vergil stuff.

Noel

So I was messing around with the text files in the Localization>INT folder of the PC version (I was able to get rid of all Tip messages during loading screens) when I decided to take a look at the one that contained all game's subtitles. To my surprise, they were a lot, lot of them. Then I scrolled down through it and then I began to realize something: a lot of the lines in there weren't even in the game!
Amazing Find! Thank you for sharing it.

Sunaka Marién

Hey guys, did you notice that bit?

IGV_0277=Sparda. What was he like?
IGV_0278=When Sparda betrayed Mundus, he had good reason to. Your mother Eva paid dearly. I was one of the lucky ones.
IGV_0282=You don't know Mundus.
IGV_0283=No, I don't want to know him. I want to kill him.
IGV_0284=I too hate Mundus. But to kill a demon king - it's without precedent. Even your father didn't even achieve that feat.
IGV_0285=Yeah, well maybe I'm not like my father.
IGV_0286=Hmm... We shall see.
IGV_0307=Thank you Assiel, old friend, for guiding Dante in our absence.
IGV_0308=Mom? Dad?
IGV_0309=Dante, You are here because I was unable to protect you. For that I am truly sorry.
IGV_0313=What?
IGV_0315=Without protection, that will not happen. They are on the brink of corrupted, almost beyond salvation.
IGV_0316=Extinction will quickly follow. We have failed them.
IGV_0317=Whether you take on this burden is now beyond our control. But there is a secret you need know.
IGV_0318=The sacred soul was born of an angel and demon. She was Nephilim, like you. Mankind are your brothers and sisters.
IGV_0319=Make of that what you wish. And please accept this final gift from us...
IGV_0320=Thanks Assiel...

It's really a pity they cut that out, I mean, that's pretty much "The Legend of Sparda", isn't it? idk, it's on of the few things I was a bit bothered with, you know, that it was left out completely 'n stuff...

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
So it looks like SPARDA was supposed to get lines as well...to see some of the Legend of Sparda in this world, even if only Demons knew it...he had "good reason, and your mother payed for it." It wasn't just the fact of shacking up with an Angel then...Sparda SERIOUSLY spit in Mundus' face for that to hold truth. The fact that Sparda is one of the four Devil Kings too in this continuity...yeow...Maybe he DID try to take on the Demon world for the humans.

Sunaka Marién

Huh, Sparda was one of the Devil Kings? Really?
Maybe he DID try to take on the Demon world for the humans.
Exactly. This is actually a pretty important little detail, if you ask me, they really should've left it in. It just would have given him back a bit of his glory, instead of making it seem that he just didn't care for the humans at all and just wanted to play happy family :/

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
yeah, Sparda is named as one of the Devil King's in the prequel comic. It's interesting how NT is being very dodgy on any real details about Eva and Sparda, while in Classic, we knew everything about his legend, just not the fact on what REALLY happened. Entirely possible those lines were cut on directive from Capcom; "Oh, no, Sparda must be as mysterious as possible, the player should know absolutely nothing about him."

Sunaka Marién

Ah, the comic... gotta try and get my hands on a copy of it. I... just can't really accept them as canon, for some reason :/
Hmm, that'd be a pretty weird move on Capcom's side, though, it's possible. But I think I've heard that Capcom let NT do pretty much whatever they wanted, so maybe it was NT's choice to make him more mysterious... a bit TOO mysterious :p

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
mmm...not exactly whatever they wanted. Originally NT was going to plan out what was essentialy DMC5 complete with classic style Dante with long white anime hair. Capcom threw it out and told them to get as far away from the classic style as possible, so there's more Capcom involvement that people assume or want to present the image of to give NT the full credit/blame.

But the comic is canon, just as the DMC1 and 2 novels, anime and manga are. About the only think non-canon/out of conitnuity is Deadly Fortune for how much it outright re-writes the story of DMC4 in flagrant conflict with the game.

AlchemistFromEden

mmm...not exactly whatever they wanted. Originally NT was going to plan out what was essentialy DMC5 complete with classic style Dante with long white anime hair. Capcom threw it out and told them to get as far away from the classic style as possible, so there's more Capcom involvement that people assume or want to present the image of to give NT the full credit/blame.

But the comic is canon, just as the DMC1 and 2 novels, anime and manga are. About the only think non-canon/out of conitnuity is Deadly Fortune for how much it outright re-writes the story of DMC4 in flagrant conflict with the game.
but the novels of dmc 1 conflict with the plot, just sayin

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
Here's some more.

Bob Barbas' death is announced:

And here's the much less controversial and much more tame dialogue between Succubus and Dante

I'm sure the game would have saved itself so much mockery if they had used this one, but seeing that was a little too long, it makes sense why they didn't use it.
It is a shame, I like this one so much more then the one they used in the game. Even if it is a little long haha.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
but the novels of dmc 1 conflict with the plot, just sayin
Other way around, DMC1 novel came out after DMC1 and didn't conflict. DMC3 essentially rebooted the story in a lot of ways, but the novel is still considered canon by Capcom's staff, since the character info in it is referenced to in the anime.

Sunaka Marién

Ah, I didn't meand doing whatever they wanted form the very start, but after a while when the basics were set...

Hmm, I always thought that the first novel and the manga were considered non-cannon, because of story confilctions and stuff... might've just been fan thinking.
But what character info of the novel was refered to in the anime? It's been a while since I whatched it, but I don't really rember anything that expicitly pointed to the novel...?
Ack, DMC and it's never ending canon or not canon issues (-_-);

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Ah, I didn't meand doing whatever they wanted form the very start, but after a while when the basics were set...

Hmm, I always thought that the first novel and the manga were considered non-cannon, because of story confilctions and stuff... might've just been fan thinking.
But what character info of the novel was refered to in the anime? It's been a while since I whatched it, but I don't really rember anything that expicitly pointed to the novel...?
Ack, DMC and it's never ending canon or not canon issues (-_-);

It was a community assumption that the first novel was "rendered" non-canon by DMC3, which is not true; it was an issue of different writers just not paying attention, you see it in comics all the time. Capcom has never declared the old expanded media non-canon. The anime directly referenced Dante's time as Tony Redgrave in Episode 8, Once Upon a Time, when Dante is "mistaken"(read: does not want to admit to) for an Anthony that lived in a small town that was attacked some twenty odd years prior by demons. Despite his claims that he was never Anthony, pictures of this boy show he had white hair, just like Dante, he was hunted by Demons, just like Dante, and Dante even admitted that in his youth, he went by the name Tony. He also knew things like where Anthony and the episode's feature guest character had buried their "treasure box", which pretty much was writer admission "Dante and Anthony are the same, he's just not wantting to face his past...again".

There was also his fixation for Strawberry Sundaes as well, that was introduced in the first prequel novel. :3

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood

The first novel contradicts the games. It's set before DMC1 and has Vergil wearing Nelo Angelo's armor while fighting Dante, when according to the game timeline after DMC3, Vergil doesn't meet Dante as Nelo Angelo until DMC1. The DMC anime also contradicts game canon, like Trish doesn't have the Sparda sword, which DMC1, DMC2, and DMC4 all show it belonging to her. The American DMC1 comic has Nelo Angelo speaking and self-aware. I'm sure there's more conflicts in the manga and second novel. And in Vergil's Chronicles, Kat says in the game that Vergil saved her when they met, when in the comic he gets her thrown in prison against her will to be tortured when they met.

It was a community assumption that the first novel was "rendered" non-canon by DMC3, which is not true; it was an issue of different writers just not paying attention, you see it in comics all the time. Capcom has never declared the old expanded media non-canon.

They also haven't declared it all part of the same continuous canon, either.

Sunaka Marién

snip-snap x3
Heh, yeah, that episode xD It doesn't really make the novel more canon imo, since, well, that Tony Redgrave alias was pretty much established in DMC1 anyway, so it's not like it came form the novel. idk, I always just thought that, like, the first novel was "partially" canon, so to say, but that it didn't happen *exactly* the way it did in it. It wouldn't really match up with Dante's age, given that he is only 19 in DMC3, especially if the manga *is* canon, so, he would've had to be 17 or younger in the novel, which doesn't really work, plus, he would've gained Devil Trigger twice (uh, well, at least I think he gained it at the end of the novel, or does my memory fail me again..?).
True, gotta love the author for the Strawberry Sundae thing <3

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Actually, Gilver's armor in the novel isn't described as looking like Nero Angelo's. The most "match" there was was when Nell sees his shadow and it's described as an "armored Knight". Plus he never wore the helmet, nor did Dante ever DT in the novels.

Yeah, there is some inconsistancies, due to DMC3's writers NOT DOUBLE CHECKING established continuity. However, before Kamiya had left capcom, he acknowledged the inconsistances and even said that as far as Capcom had been concerned with the DMC canon up to DMC3's point, the mangas were canon, the novel was canon, and even DMC2 counted. So yes, the character and background info as established in the prequel novels is still canon; Dante once was known as Tony Redgrave; Nell Goldstein made Ebony and Ivory for him. He loves Sundaes, Vergil once covered his identity as Gilver, they met at least once a year prior to DMC3. Yeah, his age is revised from an vaguely implied mid20s to 17, and the art does show some version of Force Edge, but since the narritave itself never describes his sword to look like Force Edge, you can just imagine it's Rebellion in closed state.

Railazel

Wow... I'm very disappointed in NT. There were some seriously good lines in here, some giving important details, and others paying tribute to the original franchise. Dante felt more like the original Dante and some plotholes were explained. I just don't see any reason to cut some of this stuff out.

RedRangerOrb

THIS

IGV_1601=We'll meet up later, you know the plan. I'll be OK. I love you too.
That's Kat right?So at one point they were supposed to be together. That would have made Vergil so much worse when he lets her be taken by SWAT.
That's weird! It doesn't make sense in the game to be Kat...Maybe it's Lilith? Or Eva? They removed a lot of lines of dante concerned about Kat too...
I was just thinking it was Kat because it sounds like something she would say during the infiltration of Mundus' tower. So it could be Kat saying to Dante?:/ I thought Vergil because of the feelings they have for each other in the comic.

It would help if there was an actual audio file of lines being spoken.
It makes me think of that scene on the phone. Notice how that bit of text is all in one bundle and doesn't have gaps for responses? It was all said in one go, and the only way you could've gotten is through some conversation where you're only hearing one side of it.

So wouldn't it makes sense that was Kat talking to Vergil on the phone about them all meeting up for the next mission to take out Bob, and that's why Dante says afterwards in that scene. "You guys seem tight, how'd you meet?"
This thread is 10,000 years old, but worth debunking since people are still coming across it on tumblr...
It's not Kat to Vergil or Dante. It was hidden dialogue of Eva to Sparda.
Including the audio clip of it.

Top Bottom