• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

UK turned into riot warzone

Dark Drakan

Admin
After all the madness of the last few days and many cities being destroyed and burned in mindless acts of violence just wondered if any members here lived in any of the areas affected. News has been broadcast around the world so im guessing most people have seen what has been going on by now but if not...​

BBC News UK Riots

Live UK Riot Feed

Main areas affected ive heard are:

London
Manchester
Birmingham
Liverpool
Salford
Nottingham
Wolverhampton
West Bromwich

With reports of disturbances in other smaller areas too.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
I do live quite near London and i've heard it's been kicking off in smaller towns nearby but it's still quite quiet here. Probably because it's an old fashioned town and theres not a lot of big shops to loot.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
No, I am probably safe and sound from it where I am now in Cornwall, but I recognize places in my hometown being torched (Liverpool), in fact I lived just off Catherine Street, which was right where police were massing the day before yesterday.

I am concerned for my friends who live in the Dingle area, they passed through Lodge Lane, Park Road, etc. and saw burning cars and bins.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I heard there were also problems in Bristol also, on a smaller scale though. I live nearby there. My other family members live in Norwich, which is close by to London.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Trying to get in touch with a close friend in Wolverhampton, I hear there was trouble there. To be honest I'm worried because he is the type who'd go out and get himself involved in righteously beating up some scallies. :/

This sums up the situation though and why it happened:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9560000/9560646.stm

Kid basically lays out why he's looting. Because 1) "everyone else is", 2) nobody is stopping him, and 3) when he gets arrested, he knows he won't go down for it.

Dark Drakan

Admin
what started the riots.

Originally there was a peaceful protest going on outside a police station in Tottenham after a man was shot and killed by the police after allegedly firing at them. His family wanted answers as to why he was shot and no details were being released and they accused the police of covering it up. It turned out he didnt shoot at them and the bullet that was recovered in a police radio was a police issue one.

However during the protest someone threw a brick through the police stations window resulting in many others following suit and then it all kicked off. Turned into a full blown riot with cars being set alight as well as shops and warehouses. Then people started breaking into buildings and looting them, news of this spread and copycats did the same in other major cities and then all hell broke loose.

Mark Duggan death: 'No evidence' Tottenham man opened fire

NeroS

..who am i kidding lets just morph and eat em!
Oh my.Makes me happy there is nothing like this stuff going on around here.Sounds terrible.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Sounds like my hometown to be completely honest. My bro in-law lives in Surrey, and my sister in-law also lives in a suburb next over to one of the affected areas. Senseless crimes. A citizens suspicious death. Useless police force. Sounds like south Africa to me. I'm sorry to say but I really am happy I'm below the arse of the world. Would not want to be in the UK with my kids right now, its the same reason why I packed a bag and immigrated to an island I never even heard of as soon as I had a kid. SA=hell. Still very worried about my family and friends who have to deal with that crap in UK. Praying you guys keep safe.

Dark Drakan

Admin
They have burned houses, peoples warehouses and cars causing millions of pounds worth of damage. Was a photo on the news of a woman having to leap from her apartment and be caught by firefighters. These vandals have no regard for what they are doing and are merely doing it because they know they wont be punished badly as some 16 year old chav scumbag said on the radio earlier. They think its some funny game going around smashing up these buildings and setting fires. What they fail to realise is that some people have spent many years building up these businesses and the only living they can earn come from these buildings.

There was one building that had survived 2 world wars and not been touched and been in this mans family for generations. This was the respect the yobs showed that building...

Then there was the Sony Distribution center in Enfield...

There was also a clip on the news last night of what looked like some guys helping a wounded man up from the ground. He was dazed and confused and had clearly been beaten quite badly, however after they picked him off the ground and seemed to check if he was ok they robbed the contents of his bag and left him there. These people are the lowest of the low and need to be locked up, shame that of the 900+ arrested most will escape with nothing more than a caution (a slap on the wrist) which doesnt even stay on your record. Should all be locked up with the lifers, forget about prison overcrowding and lock them in with the murderers, rapists and violent offenders and see how it feels to be intimidated where you live.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
It really makes your blood ****ing boil doesn't it?... What justice can there be from this all? What justice, if any justice...

The building was 125 years old I believe. And for no reason set alight by such pathetic behaviour.

These riots have now also killed three people as of last night, they were run over. When will it end? When the United Kingdom is reduced to ashes and everyone is six feet under? Just because there's a free TV up for grabs or a phone or whatever other obsolete material in this World.

I know we're never going to have peace ever, but this is far from normal social behaviour. We're not use to this and we shouldn't have to be use to people behaving like monsters. If I wanted to see monsters I'd watch a Science-Fiction film or something, not wonder the streets of this broken Country.

Makes me sick.

Dark Drakan

Admin
It really makes your blood ******* boil doesn't it?... What justice can there be from this all? What justice, if any justice...

The building was 125 years old I believe. And for no reason set alight by such pathetic behaviour.

These riots have now also killed three people as of last night, they were run over. When will it end? When the United Kingdom is reduced to ashes and everyone is six feet under? Just because there's a free TV up for grabs or a phone or whatever other obsolete material in this World.

I know we're never going to have peace ever, but this is far from normal social behaviour. We're not use to this and we shouldn't have to be use to people behaving like monsters. If I wanted to see monsters I'd watch a Science-Fiction film or something, not wonder the streets of this broken Country.

Makes me sick.

Just mindless acts of violence from narrow-minded, coward individuals that are just gathering in groups to smash and burn things. One store apparently didnt even have anything taken, the gangs simply fire bombed it and covered it in petrol and left it to burn and for what? All they are succeeding in doing is making our country look bad and ruining an already faltering economy. Millions of pounds in insurance claims, rebuild jobs, tidying and people being out of work in an already tough economy. So they have just made things 10x harder and also systematically ruined their own towns and cities.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
They NEED to be made afraid of the police again. They need to be properly punished. This is why they're doing it, because they know they won't be. The solution is to use force to attack, apprehend and make them afraid of prison. This country is too soft on criminals, seriously. I've heard it from the horse's mouth. Prison is a breeze where you get fed, watered and entertained for free. MY life is harder than that!

They're also too thick to understand that the businesses they are looting are providers of goods and services and local employers. They equate someone owning a business with being rich and an oppressor? Or perhaps they equate 'work' with stealing and drug dealing? Who knows, some of them clearly have the IQ of manure and no perception of how the world actually works.

People are always bandying the words 'police state' about in the UK as though we're only ever three hours away from Orwell's 1984. Lol. We all saw that it's anything but, the government would rather a policeman die than a rioter for legal/PR purposes, but in this event the police will be given more powers to restore order, and if it spirals out of control, curfews and martial law comes next. Maybe they'll be happy then, when they ruin it for everyone else, these gutter cretins.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Jesus. This is my first time hearing about this, and I feel bad for not knowing sooner, even though I would never have been able to do something.

The sheer nerve of some people is appalling. Destroying buildings that have survived world wars, killing people, looting stores, and for what? Self gratification? Because it's "fun"? This is exactly why people think the world is going to end, because even the PEOPLE are going to sh*t now.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Considering the police force is by far outnumbered by these hooligans, the next best thing is your local neighbourhood watch patrol. If they don't have them in the UK, then now would probably be a good time to lie down the law and have the decent people stand up for their rights. I'm not talking about using guns and bats to beat up these idiots, but something that will put them off from coming into your domain, like teargas or a tazer, or even pepperspray. I mean geeze, fill a couple of water balloons with sewage water or whatever disgusting substance you can get your hands on and chuck it at these morons. Do whatever you can to make their little adventures as little fun as possible. I have no doubt in my mind that every one of those neanderthals who get arrested feel some sort of gratification. They're making world wide headlines and they're being listened to - in short, their bad behaviour is being rewarded with negative attention, but attention nonetheless. Kids thrive on this kinda stuff (and you know I'm specifically referring to those who are obviously in need of love from their parents).

You can't tell me that if a kid with the intention of vandalising your belongings comes onto your property, that it is not in your right to trespass them on your terms. Kids have rights, but so does everyone else. They're on your turf, you have the right to defend your property!!! If the police aren't handling the situation and the violence is spreading, the people who are suffering need to stand up and take action instead of shaking their heads and hoping the government will pull through eventually while they sit with their feet in their mouths as their suburbs are set on fire.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
We're such a civilized well-meaning nation we don't allow the legal ownership of tazers, stun-guns, tear gas or even pepper spray by civvies, believe it or not. You're not allowed to carry knives or guns concealed, period, or anything that can be commonly used as an intimidating weapon without a good excuse (screwdriver, chisels, etc). It was only recently the law was clarified on civvies being able to use 'reasonable force' to defend themselves or their own homes. :/

I bet they didn't turn out tonight because it was a) raining or b) the police were now authorized to use plastic bullets and a water cannon. Pure (cowardly) opportunism, with no real political or racial agenda. Although there IS a political root for all of this.

Say...

But where exactly did the rioters get the idea that there is no higher value than acquiring individual wealth, or that branded goods are the route to identity and self-respect?

While bankers have publicly looted the country's wealth and got away with it, it's not hard to see why those who are locked out of the gravy train might think they were entitled to help themselves to a mobile phone. Some of the rioters make the connection explicitly. "The politicians say that we loot and rob, they are the original gangsters," one told a reporter. Another explained to the BBC: "We're showing the rich people we can do what we want."

Most have no stake in a society which has shut them out or an economic model which has now run into the sand. It's already become clear that divided Britain is in no state to absorb the austerity now being administered because three decades of neoliberal capitalism have already shattered so many social bonds of work and community.

What we're now seeing across the cities of England is the reflection of a society run on greed – and a poisonous failure of politics and social solidarity. There is now a danger that rioting might feed into ethnic conflict. Meanwhile, the latest phase of the economic crisis lurching back and forth between the United States and Europe risks tipping austerity Britain into slump or prolonged stagnation. We're starting to see the devastating costs of refusing to change course.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Gosh that's gotta be hard living. But I guess that means the rioters are also unarmed, which takes my stress level from 15 down to 9. Still very worried about my family, though. I wish I was there with them. I hate feeling this helpless! :(

Dark Drakan

Admin
Gosh that's gotta be hard living. But I guess that means the rioters are also unarmed, which takes my stress level from 15 down to 9. Still very worried about my family, though. I wish I was there with them. I hate feeling this helpless! :(

The rioters have had crowbars, bats, knives and all sorts of items that can be used as weapons. A large portion of the population (mainly the criminal population) have guns too. We have a large percentage of illegal firearms in this country and most teenagers these days carry knives too. Main problem though is the sheer number of them, 16,000 police were brought into London to bring order back to the city as well as armoured police trucks. The night that had the worst violence saw 6000 police totally outnumbered and overstretched.

Considering the police force is by far outnumbered by these hooligans, the next best thing is your local neighbourhood watch patrol. If they don't have them in the UK, then now would probably be a good time to lie down the law and have the decent people stand up for their rights. I'm not talking about using guns and bats to beat up these idiots, but something that will put them off from coming into your domain, like teargas or a tazer, or even pepperspray. I mean geeze, fill a couple of water balloons with sewage water or whatever disgusting substance you can get your hands on and chuck it at these morons. Do whatever you can to make their little adventures as little fun as possible. I have no doubt in my mind that every one of those neanderthals who get arrested feel some sort of gratification. They're making world wide headlines and they're being listened to - in short, their bad behaviour is being rewarded with negative attention, but attention nonetheless. Kids thrive on this kinda stuff (and you know I'm specifically referring to those who are obviously in need of love from their parents).

You can't tell me that if a kid with the intention of vandalising your belongings comes onto your property, that it is not in your right to trespass them on your terms. Kids have rights, but so does everyone else. They're on your turf, you have the right to defend your property!!! If the police aren't handling the situation and the violence is spreading, the people who are suffering need to stand up and take action instead of shaking their heads and hoping the government will pull through eventually while they sit with their feet in their mouths as their suburbs are set on fire.

Problem with that is some people have tried to stand up to them and been killed for it and anyone who gets in their way will be killed or beaten badly without a second thought. I mean 3 people were run over by a car just for trying to protect a mosque. All fighting back against them will do is anger them more and tempt them to cause more damage and give them another group besides the police to fight with and they all enjoy conflict and fighting.

This country as Lexy said have only just passed the right to defend your property with reasonable force from theives and trespassers. Some people in the past have been jailed for harming or killing thieves who have broken into their property. Was such a stupid law im glad it has finally been waved. However because of our strict gun laws if you were to say shoot someone who came onto your property and didnt own a proper gun license (only farmers and hunters really have them) then you would be arrested for possessing an illegal firearm and could get 10 years in prison.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I will admit that despite the law, I have carried things to protect myself when I lived in some cities, as a last resort. And I have them in my home too. It is too little too late for the police to protect you after the fact, sadly.

The area has an impact on how bold people are. For example, since I have been here, I have not once been broken into or mugged in over two years. I don't expect I will be, because this area isn't 'deprived', most people here seem to have a lot of money, or enough at least. But when I lived in Toxteth in the 80s and 90s, where I was born (same place as some of the riots just kicked off and same place as riots in the 1980s), we were broken into an average of two to three times every year and the car was stolen at least once a year... for ten years. And these burglars were not the type that run away when you confront them. These are the type that get the bleach out from under your sink and keep it close in case you surprise them, or the type that will continue to smash your bedroom window open even after you've told them you are calling the police. Or the type that will storm your house in the night in a gang. It really isn't liveable, especially if you have had ten years of it. My stepdad and I had weapons in our rooms near where we slept, and he taught me the weak places on the human body to apply pressure to or hit if you are attacked and get a chance to use them. He felt the need to teach me some of these things and to have me keep something to protect myself in my own room - it was that bad.

But only in certain areas do you get this kind of behavior, and I'm sure it is taught and passed along to all the people and kids who steal so they get bolder and bolder - a kind of localized culture of crime. Even if you know the places that'll have a guy's breathing paralyzed, it's wise not to to even use it because these people rarely steal alone. In the end, I think you either have to make your house like Fort Knox or you move away from those places if you actually want to own anything decent for more than a few months. And escalation is a factor as Drakan said. You have to be very careful.

One thing a lot of these riots have in common is that they occur in these type of areas or the people taking part are from these areas. Not all of them - but I recognise it in them. The government may think it's a countrywide thing but it's not... it's the kind of attitude that sits in a place where there are no opportunities, nothing to do, and it's generally just a dump. Toxeth is still a dump in places, despite Liverpool being improved over the years and there's still a way to go to make it prosperous enough to get rid of the legacy of the 80s where the city was basically cut loose by Maggie and the bad areas got even worse, and the people had little hope that things would improve. It is improving but that takes time, maybe even a generation. I'd be willing to bet most of these kids taking part in the riots and looting are exactly the type I know from these kinds of places, where nobody gives a damn. Or enough of them don't to make it a run-down dive.

If the government have any sense, they will start NOW trying to undo the damage they started by cutting these areas loose years ago and try to improve these communities, and give community 'leaders' and families symbolic responsibility for their area. These looters are not trashing their own personal backyards - because they have the brains at least to know the difference between their own stuff and someone else's. If the govt. can convince these communities that they own their own facilities and they aren't just "stuff the council put there", I expect people will be less likely to accept their own kids trashing it.

Someone on the news mentioned that in a few of these riot-areas, the opportunities are low, places the kids could use such as basketball courts, fields and facilities have all be locked up due to cuts and their youth clubs shut down... I mean, what do they expect people - especially kids - to do in those conditions? The Devil makes work for idle hands, doesn't he?

I'm not blaming the government or the councils for what occurred - I blame those responsible, entirely, but it is a factor that they seem to hail from these areas or the riots take place in these places. But I expect the government will once again gloss over that to avoid any tension or relations problems, and simply say they will "clamp down" on the effect, rather than the cause. :rolleyes:

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I heard on the radio yesterday that there were two failed attempts at rioting in Plymouth.

I even saw on the tv today, a group oif youths helping an injured man, then when he was okay, they stole his stuff.

I've always said it, If you're old enough to know the difference between right and wrong and you do the crime, you should be punished, maybe even as an adult.

Top Bottom