• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Theory and thought about Rebellion, Yamato, and Force Edge/Sparda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
It was a thought I came to earlier today while thinking on how the sword carry an imprint from their wielders, like how Yamato was influenced by Vergil, but also influences the Devil Triggers. Then I thought back to DMC3, when Dante and Vergil switched weapons, and realized something about Vergil. As a warning now, this does contain a few DMC$ spoilers for those that have not played the game.

He had been on the run from demons for a good portion of his life until then. He would not have had a chance to get high end formalized training with the kind of weapon he uses, yet he wields it as if he's trained with such a blade all his life. We know Sparda would have had the incredible skill to use such a sword like Vergil did in DMC3. He also instantly wielded Rebellion, a sword type that he was never shown using before, like he was very well familiar with it, and Dante did the same with Yamato, a weapon type he had not used at all before, and the same with ALL the Devil Arms he acquired in the game. One can chalk up part of it to natural inclination toward weapons, but that kind of skill is more than instinct.

My thought is that a good portion of the skill involved with the Twins and their Devil Arms comes from the Arms themselves. The Devil Arms clearly have come kind of "conditioning" imprint that gives the wielder incredible skill with them just by holding them. We saw this with Cerebus, Agni and Rudra, and to a degree, Beowolf.

This extends to Sparda's weapons, which as also demonic in origin. We know that Yamato resonated with Nero and allowed him to Devil Trigger his Aura. My thought has been that if he used Rebellion, his Aura would have trigger to resemble Dante, and so froth with the Sparda; he needs a Devil Arm in order to Trigger. It can also be conjunctured from there that the Vergil-like moves he displayed in his second battle with Dante. Namely, the same move that Vergil used to defeat Dante in the post battle cinema of Vergil Battle 1. Some people say that this "proves" that Nero is Vergil, or has a part of Vergil's soul. I say, it's YAMATO guiding his movements, giving him the skill and knowledge of combat style he needs in order to win. The sword just didn't count on Dante, ten years later, remembering that same move and figuring out how to counter it. In addition, to counter the "Nero's DT is Vergil's Spirit", the DT Aura mimics NERO'S actions, it never once acts on its own. This included when he rubs his face, the Aura does the exact same thing, proving that it is not a entity with its own will; it's an extension of Yamato's power channeling through Nero.

Mind you, much of this, until Capcom says yay or nay, is theory, but there's a LOT to support it in the games.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
+1 from me about this theory.

That would explain why in DMC1 Dante transformed into something similar to Sparda in all the cut-scenes, but transformed in something completely different while using Ifrit and Alastor. Also when he finally got Sparda sword his form was identical to Sparda in the Mundus battle.

Rep+;)

Nelo Angelo

Dark Knight
That would be true but if what is beileved is to be true the only reason Yamato worked and resonated with Nero was because he was either his reincarnation or he was his son. Although as we dont quite know the truth quite yet this surfices as a good theory for me +rep...

Sparda™

Dante Redgrave;76072 said:
It was a thought I came to earlier today while thinking on how the sword carry an imprint from their wielders, like how Yamato was influenced by Vergil, but also influences the Devil Triggers. Then I thought back to DMC3, when Dante and Vergil switched weapons, and realized something about Vergil. As a warning now, this does contain a few DMC$ spoilers for those that have not played the game.

He had been on the run from demons for a good portion of his life until then. He would not have had a chance to get high end formalized training with the kind of weapon he uses, yet he wields it as if he's trained with such a blade all his life. We know Sparda would have had the incredible skill to use such a sword like Vergil did in DMC3. He also instantly wielded Rebellion, a sword type that he was never shown using before, like he was very well familiar with it, and Dante did the same with Yamato, a weapon type he had not used at all before, and the same with ALL the Devil Arms he acquired in the game. One can chalk up part of it to natural inclination toward weapons, but that kind of skill is more than instinct.

My thought is that a good portion of the skill involved with the Twins and their Devil Arms comes from the Arms themselves. The Devil Arms clearly have come kind of "conditioning" imprint that gives the wielder incredible skill with them just by holding them. We saw this with Cerebus, Agni and Rudra, and to a degree, Beowolf.

This extends to Sparda's weapons, which as also demonic in origin. We know that Yamato resonated with Nero and allowed him to Devil Trigger his Aura. My thought has been that if he used Rebellion, his Aura would have trigger to resemble Dante, and so froth with the Sparda; he needs a Devil Arm in order to Trigger. It can also be conjunctured from there that the Vergil-like moves he displayed in his second battle with Dante. Namely, the same move that Vergil used to defeat Dante in the post battle cinema of Vergil Battle 1. Some people say that this "proves" that Nero is Vergil, or has a part of Vergil's soul. I say, it's YAMATO guiding his movements, giving him the skill and knowledge of combat style he needs in order to win. The sword just didn't count on Dante, ten years later, remembering that same move and figuring out how to counter it. In addition, to counter the "Nero's DT is Vergil's Spirit", the DT Aura mimics NERO'S actions, it never once acts on its own. This included when he rubs his face, the Aura does the exact same thing, proving that it is not a entity with its own will; it's an extension of Yamato's power channeling through Nero.

Mind you, much of this, until Capcom says yay or nay, is theory, but there's a LOT to support it in the games.

It is so true, and It is something I've been wandering all along. It seems that I've found someone that thinks the same theories as me.. +++Rep...;)

By the way, check my game project. It's in my signature.;)

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Nelo Angelo;76225 said:
That would be true but if what is beileved is to be true the only reason Yamato worked and resonated with Nero was because he was either his reincarnation or he was his son. Although as we dont quite know the truth quite yet this surfices as a good theory for me +rep...

Actually, it is confirmed that at the very least, Nero is a descendant of Sparda, since Sactus states multiple times in game that Nero has the blood of Sparda in him, and implies that he's known this all along. While I still hold to "Nero = reborn Sparda", the fact that Nero canonically is genetically linked to Sparda's bloodline still is considered. What better place to be reincarnate than one of your distant descendants? ~_^

Dark Love

Order of R.L.C.
+Rep from me, too: I was thinking the exact same thing. But descendant or not, since Nero was described as being human from the beginning (I guess diluted over the course of time) what made him able to access the power of Yamato probably had to do with his devil bringer arm.

I still have Capcom up for confusing some people, saying that Nero has no relation to Vergil and Dante, but then Sanctus saying "inheriting Sparda's power," and "didn't count on a descendant of Sparda," blah, blah, blah... *shrugs* Oh well.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
I think what Capcom was trying to say is that he's not a third brother, or an immediate relative. After all, the separation of the family line would be distant enough that they're not related until you go back far enough. Dante and Vergil are Sparda's sons, Nero would be...probably somewhere around ten or twelve greats of a grandson to Sparda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom