• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Voice Acting & Dialogue of DmC

What do you think of the voice acting & dialgoue in this one?

• Its pretty weak and bad

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Its at least better than DMC1 & DMC2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just as good as the DMC's before it

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Its better than every other DMC that is for sure

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • ITS AMAZING, the voice actors done a great job this time

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Well, I agree that the one liners at times seem tacked on and Dante does come off as a douche to everyone at first- But understand this is the story of how a man becomes a hero, he will be abrasive and douche-y at first because that's the result of his experiences thus far. Even in the Vergil trailer, you see how he isn't thrilled at the idea of the little rebellion that anonymu- the order- I mean, is planning. Compare however, his behavior from the earliest levels to the latest levels and through the trailers we've seen, there's a definite progression of character and his focus seems to go from "**** these demons" to "I have to save these people." Even Alex Jones said that in the story he goes from joining Vergil just to get revenge on demons to getting involved in the bigger picture later on both due to the rightness of the cause and the opportunity to bond with the only family he's had. I believe he will grow as a character.

Now the 'sack of ****' and '**** yoooooooou' back-and-forth thing... Yeah. Dante should've just said "Your prom date." and "You don't look a day over 12,000" and left it at that with the succubus spitting at him then immediately starting the fight. What people don't understand about profanity is that is is a language modifier. It is like adding peppers to a recipe. It intensifies any statement like typing in caps AND IT CAN COME OFF JUST AS IDIOTIC TO MANY PEOPLE IF NOT DONE PROPERLY AND USED WITH DISCRETION. The blatant forced profanity takes away from the nonchalant directness of the quips which would be funnier then due to how casually they are delivered. This Dante's sense of humor would be best delivered dry and witty, not jokey and gimmicky. Ninja theory's better than that.

Also, it is interesting to note that this is the first time Tammem has no chains on him. With heavenly sword and Enslaved Andy Serkis directed the scenes and both games had another writer brought in to re-write the initial script. Heavenly swords' script was almost completely redone by that writer and changes were made, in Enslaved, to Monkey's character. Both of these writers made changes to make the protagonist more likable and to maintain character consistency. Originally, Monkey blatantly murders a slave on the ship and trip sees this which is why she has no problem enslaving this vicious ape-man. This game will be the first time Tammem has no restraint on how the story is told. He is sole writer and director. Take this how you will.

Nice analogy...........yeah I got my pre-ordered copy of Tekken Tag Tournament 2.......so see ya guys......til..........whenever.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
There are somethings I agree with on that vid, but others I don't. He says a slur in DmC Dante's voice, but if I remember correctly didn't Dante in the anime AND DMC4 talk with that same slur? However I do agree with those one liners. NT really need to work on them. There are some lines of New Dante that I like and some that come off as odd. For example;

"Good. Finally have your attention."
"Well Bob, I can see why your view is so upside down."
"Whore mother? I don't know my mother but if you're callin' me a son of a bitch you wouldn't be the first."
"Hey Bob, Put a spin on this."
"You don't look a day over twelve thousand."
"Y'know what your problem is? You're too clingy."

The ones that are wierd are;
"But you can call me Dante the demon killer. Has a nice ring to it don't you think?"
"Oh really?! Well somehow I doubt that!"
"F*ck you."

However to me, he's like the guy in my avatar. Daryl Dixon from Walking dead. (Minus the squirrel eating^_^)

ninjaa93

just watch the club battle again with head phones nearly heard everything story elements to i urge people to listen its pretty cool though this games does curse why to much in that one battle its two f you's a **** a bullshit bitch in a couple more idk its hard to make it.

asurai

The thing about Dante's one liners however is that we know this is a coming of age story. He's saying one liners in thsoe ways because that is what Dante himself thinks is cool. They explained this on one of the streams that yes, some of his one liners are sloppy. It is intentional because it is part of his character. Likely his one liners may improve over the course of the game as he receives more character development. Or at least, that is what i hope.

Dante94513

I just saw the the secret ingredient level from gamescon and I have to say I didn't find a problem with the F*ck you line. It's not like it went on for a 1 minute or more (like Observe and Report), and the way Dante said it was calm sorta like "Pfft, f*ck YOU." and how it made Succubus rage actually made me laugh. That moment was hilarious to me.

Railazel

What do you think of this guy's point of view?

It's like this dude read my mind. Almost every one of his points I agree with.

Onto dialogue specifically, it's horrible so far. Even the more emotional scenes like when Vergil and Dante were arguing over whether to save Kat aren't that well- written. I don't think I've said much it about because I feared that I might get into some intense arguments but I might as well say it here. I just feel like Vergil's suspicious attitude was put out there way too blatantly. They didn't give it much subtlety at all (even though I welcomed it as a major source of potential conflict).

Then there's the fact that the social commentary on the game is supposed to be satirical and I still don't see the humor in it. Look at Bob Barbas. He's supposed to resemble news networks like Fox News but his attitude and straightforward dialogue don't resemble any news network I've ever watched neither does it really make fun of any of those networks' faults.

Considering what Tiran has said, I personally feel that NT could really do alot better than what they are giving us. Obviously, a character's dialogue must reflect that character's personality but there's a point where there should be a subtlety, so that anything else we would know about the character would be portrayed through their actions.

Take Poison for example, I don't like her as a character but she's a high- quality one. Obviously, her dialogue shows that she's a very angry and volatile creature but her facial expressions and actions make her seem very immature and child- like. Really, you could say that she's gone senile due to her old age. She can't control her own fluids and she's lost whatever amount of reasoning she ever had. Naturally, the best way to deal with her would be the same way you deal with any person in her position- comforting her until the day she naturally dies. Which makes her an awfully tragic character considering that, instead of dealing with a sensible person, she had to be ridiculed and, ultimately, killed by an equally angry and volatile teenager.

If NT took this approach more and let the actions of their character's speak more for them then I don't think guys like me or the one in the Youtube video would have much of a problem with this game's dialogue.

Frantix

I think the video is extremely unfair. Especially when you consider that less than a fraction of material has been released for this new character.

DragonMaster2010

It's like this dude read my mind. Almost every one of his points I agree with.

Onto dialogue specifically, it's horrible so far. Even the more emotional scenes like when Vergil and Dante were arguing over whether to save Kat aren't that well- written. I don't think I've said much it about because I feared that I might get into some intense arguments but I might as well say it here. I just feel like Vergil's suspicious attitude was put out there way too blatantly. They didn't give it much subtlety at all (even though I welcomed it as a major source of potential conflict).

Then there's the fact that the social commentary on the game is supposed to be satirical and I still don't see the humor in it. Look at Bob Barbas. He's supposed to resemble news networks like Fox News but his attitude and straightforward dialogue don't resemble any news network I've ever watched neither does it really make fun of any of those networks' faults.

Considering what Tiran has said, I personally feel that NT could really do alot better than what they are giving us. Obviously, a character's dialogue must reflect that character's personality but there's a point where there should be a subtlety, so that anything else we would know about the character would be portrayed through their actions.

Take Poison for example, I don't like her as a character but she's a high- quality one. Obviously, her dialogue shows that she's a very angry and volatile creature but her facial expressions and actions make her seem very immature and child- like. Really, you could say that she's gone senile due to her old age. She can't control her own fluids and she's lost whatever amount of reasoning she ever had. Naturally, the best way to deal with her would be the same way you deal with any person in her position- comforting her until the day she naturally dies. Which makes her an awfully tragic character considering that, instead of dealing with a sensible person, she had to be ridiculed and, ultimately, killed by an equally angry and volatile teenager.

If NT took this approach more and let the actions of their character's speak more for them then I don't think guys like me or the one in the Youtube video would have much of a problem with this game's dialogue.

I'm not sure it's diolauge, but how this Dante says it. I sometimes go on YouTube to some friends and they say "Dante talks like an idiot and I don't like anyone who talks like that!" Then they go to Samurai Champloo to see Mugen or watch No More Heroes and say "OMG, I just love every word that comes out of Mugen/Travis's mouth!"

Note; these are the same words that this Dante is pretty much using.

I don't think the diolauge is that far from this Dante cause he's not trying to be subtle. NT isn't going for subtle, they want a character who can cuss up a storm and kick demon's ass. Pretty much "Speak loudly, and carry a big sword." The problem is that it's coming from this Dante's mouth.

Some fans (Not you but just some out there) Believe this Dante should act exactly like the original, when he really shouldn't he's a delinquent and delinquents act like that. NT, to me, have never really seen much of how Americans are when it comes to trash talk, and I doubt Alex Jones can help, but So far most of what Dante says could come from what Tameen has heard when the Punk era was still live and young rebels dressed like they didn't give a damn and cussed a storm.

Personally with me, I just hope that this Dante also insults the music of our time and many other things, cause there's a lot to talk about now a days.:/

somekidfromthe90's

Also, it is interesting to note that this is the first time Tammem has no chains on him. With heavenly sword and Enslaved Andy Serkis directed the scenes and both games had another writer brought in to re-write the initial script. Heavenly swords' script was almost completely redone by that writer and changes were made, in Enslaved, to Monkey's character. Both of these writers made changes to make the protagonist more likable and to maintain character consistency. Originally, Monkey blatantly murders a slave on the ship and trip sees this which is why she has no problem enslaving this vicious ape-man. This game will be the first time Tammem has no restraint on how the story is told. He is sole writer and director. Take this how you will.
That's some spiffy information. IMO i think it would've been better if they kept the Monkey killing scene.

Gbraga

I really really like both the voice acting and the dialogue, I just don't like very much the abuse of the "**** you". You see, I have nothing against cursing on videogames, and it was actually funny in some places, the "Whore mother" scene was pretty cool, and I actually laughed when he said "Your prom date you ugly sack of ****", but "Well, **** you Dante!" and writing "**** YOU" on the list were kinda too forced IMO, and it would actually be a lot more funny if he just wrote his name.

I also love how he answers to "Son of Sparda, and Eva, the WHOOOOOORE?" with "Yup." lol

Railazel

I'm not sure it's diolauge, but how this Dante says it. I sometimes go on YouTube to some friends and they say "Dante talks like an idiot and I don't like anyone who talks like that!" Then they go to Samurai Champloo to see Mugen or watch No More Heroes and say "OMG, I just love every word that comes out of Mugen/Travis's mouth!"

Note; these are the same words that this Dante is pretty much using.

I don't think the diolauge is that far from this Dante cause he's not trying to be subtle. NT isn't going for subtle, they want a character who can cuss up a storm and kick demon's ass. Pretty much "Speak loudly, and carry a big sword." The problem is that it's coming from this Dante's mouth.

Some fans (Not you but just some out there) Believe this Dante should act exactly like the original, when he really shouldn't he's a delinquent and delinquents act like that. NT, to me, have never really seen much of how Americans are when it comes to trash talk, and I doubt Alex Jones can help, but So far most of what Dante says could come from what Tameen has heard when the Punk era was still live and young rebels dressed like they didn't give a damn and cussed a storm.

Personally with me, I just hope that this Dante also insults the music of our time and many other things, cause there's a lot to talk about now a days.:/

I'm not saying that Dante has to be subtle in his words but his dialogue has to be. If NT wants him to be perceived as a man who wants vengeance against the Demons and cracks one- liners, the dialogue between him and his enemies should be more straightforward and his actions should reflect his intentions with his humor being, like what Tiran said, dry and witty instead of being a forced quip. So far, he's being nothing more than just a big douchebag.

DragonMaster2010

I'm not saying that Dante has to be subtle in his words but his dialogue has to be. If NT wants him to be perceived as a man who wants vengeance against the Demons and cracks one- liners, the dialogue between him and his enemies should be more straightforward and his actions should reflect his intentions with his humor being, like what Tiran said, dry and witty instead of being a forced quip. So far, he's being nothing more than just a big douchebag.

Lol I guess he has hasn't he?:D

But I guess even a guy who's been tortured for all his life has to have a little fun sometimes. Old Dante was able to have fun while killing the things he hated, so I'm pretty sure this one is like that too.

However here's two things I've realized; Tameen says he wants revenge on the demons and hates them, yet I've really hardly see him "Hate" the demons. He usually either insults them, or when he was mad during the club level, he was more angry at Lilith for kidnapping Kat.

The second thing is that at what age exactly did Dante finally decide to say "F*ck it, I'm a demon killer now."

Railazel

Lol I guess he has hasn't he?:D

But I guess even a guy who's been tortured for all his life has to have a little fun sometimes. Old Dante was able to have fun while killing the things he hated, so I'm pretty sure this one is like that too.

Oddly enough, DMC 1 Dante never hated Demons. In fact, he sympathized with them on some occasions, like when Mundus killed Griffon. Now that I think about it, Mundus was the only demon he ever hated.

However here's two things I've realized; Tameen says he wants revenge on the demons and hates them, yet I've really hardly see him "Hate" the demons. He usually either insults them, or when he was mad during the club level, he was more angry at Lilith for kidnapping Kat.

That's what I'm saying. NT's description of him is inconsistent with his actions. Then there's what he said to Vergil, "So that's it? You need me to kill the Demons so you can save the world?" Why would he, the guys who hates Demons, hesitate to take a job that includes killing them? I think that, really, he doesn't care about killing Demons, he just hates them for what they did to him. Basically, he doesn't do much about it.

The second thing is that at what age exactly did Dante finally decide to say "F*ck it, I'm a demon killer now."

According to Bob, at the age of 8 when he seemingly killed a nun(?).

DragonMaster2010

That's what I'm saying. NT's description of him is inconsistent with his actions. Then there's what he said to Vergil, "So that's it? You need me to kill the Demons so you can save the world?" Why would he, the guys who hates Demons, hesitate to take a job that includes killing them? I think that, really, he doesn't care about killing Demons, he just hates them for what they did to him. Basically, he doesn't do much about it.

Well to me Dante in that scene was like a lazy college guy. He wants to make a difference but wants to do it his way, and not the way that could really benefit the world.

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
The blatant forced profanity takes away from the nonchalant directness of the quips which would be funnier then due to how casually they are delivered. This Dante's sense of humor would be best delivered dry and witty, not jokey and gimmicky. Ninja theory's better than that.

However I do agree with those one liners. NT really need to work on them. There are some lines of New Dante that I like and some that come off as odd.
I really really like both the voice acting and the dialogue, I just don't like very much the abuse of the "**** you".

All of these quotes cover most of my feelings about what we've seen so far. The voice acting sounds really superb, more natural and realistic than, I think, all of the previous games (and I say that as a die-hard fan of DMC3 and 4's casts). But then it's hurt by sporadically ridiculous dialogue that doesn't fit with the characters or overall atmosphere. It's more grating than the previous games' silliness because it's less consistent. One minute there's pithy sarcasm ("Whew, that just seemed to drag on forever...church."), the next there's "F*CK YOU" and "DANTE THE DEMON KILLAAAAR". The entire Poison sequence makes me cringe, except for one good joke ("You don't look a day over twelve thousand").

This may be the fault of only getting bits and pieces from different parts of the game out of order. Or maybe this game isn't supposed to be as serious as it seems. I'm still reasonably optimistic about the script.

This game will be the first time Tameem has no restraint on how the story is told. He is sole writer and director. Take this how you will.

This makes me nervous, since the other games NT has done were praised for their writing. If that wasn't really because of the current team, then there's no telling what we'll get with this game. DmC is an experiment in more ways than I thought.

Gbraga

All of these quotes cover most of my feelings about what we've seen so far. The voice acting sounds really superb, more natural and realistic than, I think, all of the previous games (and I say that as a die-hard fan of DMC3 and 4's casts). But then it's hurt by sporadically ridiculous dialogue that doesn't fit with the characters or overall atmosphere. It's more grating than the previous games' silliness because it's less consistent. One minute there's pithy sarcasm ("Whew, that just seemed to drag on forever...church."), the next there's "F*CK YOU" and "DANTE THE DEMON KILLAAAAR". The entire Poison sequence makes me cringe, except for one good joke ("You don't look a day over twelve thousand").

This may be the fault of only getting bits and pieces from different parts of the game out of order. Or maybe this game isn't supposed to be as serious as it seems. I'm still reasonably optimistic about the script.
That was awesome, he really won the trash tralking fight right there. The "F*CK YOU" reaction from Poison was actually properly placed, she just got decimated by a teenager and had nothing else to say, so this scene in particular I can live with actually. They could have shortened it though, just make him say "You don't look a day over twelve thousand", she says "**** YOOOOOOOU" and they start. No need to write the same line 3 times, that must have been such a silly moment when Tameem was writting it with a serious face lol

And the "That just seemed to drag on forever... Church" was when I said "ok, you got me, that was awesome"

But then again, they are early builds, there were already dialogue changes from one build to another. When the ground falls making him and Kat change their path, on early builds Dante would say "never seen that happen before!", and now he says "Woah! Someone doesn't want me here!", the "**** YOU" on the floor of the falling building right before the Cathedral was gone as well. If I'm not mistaken the "Nicely done girls" is also new, he said something else before, but I don't quite remember what it was.

ninjaa93

but theytook out dante dialouge when he slaps the can out the guys hand recently i beileve this game is constanl being edited everything we saw in the captivate trailer we now see in overturn boss battle

KtWtWiS43

Well, I agree that the one liners at times seem tacked on and Dante does come off as a douche to everyone at first- But understand this is the story of how a man becomes a hero, he will be abrasive and douche-y at first because that's the result of his experiences thus far. Even in the Vergil trailer, you see how he isn't thrilled at the idea of the little rebellion that anonymu- the order- I mean, is planning. Compare however, his behavior from the earliest levels to the latest levels and through the trailers we've seen, there's a definite progression of character and his focus seems to go from "**** these demons" to "I have to save these people." Even Alex Jones said that in the story he goes from joining Vergil just to get revenge on demons to getting involved in the bigger picture later on both due to the rightness of the cause and the opportunity to bond with the only family he's had. I believe he will grow as a character.

Now the 'sack of ****' and '**** yoooooooou' back-and-forth thing... Yeah. Dante should've just said "Your prom date." and "You don't look a day over 12,000" and left it at that with the succubus spitting at him then immediately starting the fight. What people don't understand about profanity is that is is a language modifier. It is like adding peppers to a recipe. It intensifies any statement like typing in caps AND IT CAN COME OFF JUST AS IDIOTIC TO MANY PEOPLE IF NOT DONE PROPERLY AND USED WITH DISCRETION. The blatant forced profanity takes away from the nonchalant directness of the quips which would be funnier then due to how casually they are delivered. This Dante's sense of humor would be best delivered dry and witty, not jokey and gimmicky. Ninja theory's better than that.

Tiran ...

I think I'm in love with you

Railazel

Well to me Dante in that scene was like a lazy college guy. He wants to make a difference but wants to do it his way, and not the way that could really benefit the world.

But then why didn't he answer Vergil when he asked "What else were you planning to do with your life?"

The implication is that he wasn't really planning on doing anything.

Top Bottom